Ray Rice suspended two games? (Update: now cut/suspended)

Goodell should have just said that he saw the knockout video. Many had already assumed that he did. This "resentencing" of Rice looks like PR only. It makes no sense to suspend him indefinitely when we all know he knocked her out.

That's the reason Goodell should lose his job. No matter how you look at this, he's handled the situation with gross incompetence.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By creating a system to punish players, the NFL is no different than any other judicial system in the country. They cannot operate in a vacuum from what society wants. If you want proof, look at this thread and the ray rice situation happens. Society ultimately dictates rules and punishments, you would be silly to think the nfl is the excpetion

I guess I see your point. It's easier to get mob justice when you can pressure the employer to enforce it. That way you can get around all those unnecessary trial procedures the courts require.

Society is making its voice heard now, vick was no different

Society is responding to a story it saw on TV. Everyone is giving their full dose of righteous indignation. Then they will go back to not caring much anymore.

Should "society" vote on how suspensions are handed out by the NFL? What did your firsrt week in law school tell you about this?

And you came to that conclusion based solely on my acknowledgement that said system exists??? Do go on.

Right, which is why the NFL commissioner is not a f@#$ing substitute for the judicial system. Rape, as was used in the last terrible example, will be punishable by law as dictated by society. Its not the NFL's responsibility to administer any particular punishments.

He isn't a substitute for the criminal courts, they are independent from another and that has been shown plenty of times. The NFL is its own judicial system, go look at the CBA and you will see an entire system that mirrors our civil courts

I guess I see your point. It's easier to get mob justice when you can pressure the employer to enforce it. That way you can get around all those unnecessary trial procedures the courts require.

Apparently the NFL should be deputized to act as a complement to our judicial system in cases where the law just doesn't go far enough and in that role, Goodell and the NFL have failed therefore public flogging for all.

Edited by Jauronimo

Society is making its voice heard now, vick was no different

vick was completely different in that he was convicted of federal and state charges, sentenced to 23 months in prison, the nfl had no real established punishment system in place for his crime and he had a track record of issues.

otherwise, same thing.

Edited by NoSaint

He isn't a substitute for the criminal courts, they are independent from another and that has been shown plenty of times. The NFL is its own judicial system, go look at the CBA and you will see an entire system that mirrors our civil courts

BTW, where did you get your law degree from?

The bolded statement is pure gibberish. The rest is even less persuasive.

"Society" didn't care at all how the NFL punished its wife beaters before this summer. It's not the NFL's job to fill in the gaps in the criminal justice system.

Yet society ultimately did rule supreme on the NFL. The NFL did not stick to their guns with the 2 game suspension after society's backlash. So you were wrong and he was right.

Pretty much. "Society's standards" equals mob rule outside the judicial system, obviously.

The true fallacy of that reasoning being: judging by the relative outrage, by "society's standards," knocking a woman out cold is much, MUCH worse when it's on camera.

It looks nothing like the civil courts. The CBA made the Commissioner the judge, jury and the court of appeals for all suspensions.

I know you are being a bit sarcastic, but to a degree its true. If people are unhappy with the punishements a system hands out, they will make their voice heard. Is society random, weak at times, strong at times, wrong at times? Ypu, but it doesn't make it any less true. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but it is the way it works. And that's very evident this week

Society is responding to a story it saw on TV. Everyone is giving their full dose of righteous indignation. Then they will go back to not caring much anymore.

Should "society" vote on how suspensions are handed out by the NFL? What did your firsrt week in law school tell you about this?

They will absolutely go back to not caring. And no society shouldnt be involved with voting for punishments, thats not how it works in any judicial system in our country and the NFL already had a written procedure.

Wow, you are lost.

Just because the NFL has such policies doesn't mean they have any responsibility to you or society at large to mete out punishment. WTF is so hard to understand?

I know you are being a bit sarcastic, but to a degree its true. If people are unhappy with the punishements a system hands out, they will make their voice heard. Is society random, weak at times, strong at times, wrong at times? Ypu, but it doesn't make it any less true. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but it is the way it works. And that's very evident this week

Yes, that's the way it works...if you live in 5th century BC Athens. :wacko:

. And no society shouldnt be involved with voting for punishments, thats not how it works in any judicial system in our country and the NFL already had a written procedure.

Is there a translation available for this sentence?

Hold on, we're being trolled...

Edited by Mr. WEO

Wow, you are lost.

Just because the NFL has such policies doesn't mean they have any responsibility to you or society at large to mete out punishment. WTF is so hard to understand?

i wonder what responsibilities to society my employers judicial system holds.

im pretty sure it roughly stops at where my job responsibilities would leave clients and coworkers endangered by my judgement. not in making an example for the good of mankind.

Is there a translation available for this sentence?

Hold on, we're being trolled...

i mean... crayola is my favorite brand of Crayonz. just saying.