Ray Rice suspended two games? (Update: now cut/suspended)

Of course I agree that what Ray Rice did in this situation was way, WAY out of line, and that he actually should have been charged with a felony.......BUT, this notion that "no man should EVER strike a woman" is ridiculous.

Ridiculous, not ridiculous - it's what a lot of decent men have been taught. That's just a fact.

Does everyone, man or woman, have a right of self defense if attacked with deadly force, yes. Does that apply to an unarmed tidbit of a woman in an elevator and Ray Rice? No.

There are PLENTY of woman in this country who could absolutely beat their man to death, if they chose to do so. Not ALL men are bigger/stronger than their SO. What about if you're attacked by one, OR MORE, beefy, crazed women? Should you just curl up in a ball, and get kicked/punched to death? What if your woman has a knife, or any other potential deadly weapon, such as a fireplace stoker, an iron, etc., and she's coming at you in an emotion-filled, crazed rush?

This made me laugh until my stomach hurt. On the one hand, it's great you believing that women can be strong, usually stronger than they believe.

On the other hand, the image of mobs of beefy, crazed women roaming the countryside attacking a man - OMG that hurts!

Find me one news article where something like that has actually happened, as opposed to news of mobs of men attacking a woman, which is trivially easy.

Yes, USUALLY, men should not have to escalate their defense to kicks and/or punches, but this is NOT always the case. Just being real here.

Right of self defense, see above.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This made me laugh until my stomach hurt. On the one hand, it's great you believing that women can be strong, usually stronger than they believe.

On the other hand, the image of mobs of beefy, crazed women roaming the countryside attacking a man - OMG that hurts!

Find me one news article where something like that has actually happened, as opposed to news of mobs of men attacking a woman, which is trivially easy.

Well, now I'm LingOL.

There's this new website called "You Tube." You probably should check it out. I'm not going to spoon feed you though; GO SEE FOR YOURSELF the HUNDREDS of videos of strong women beating on others. Maybe it's not "roaming mobs", but that's just semantics.

There's this new website called "You Tube." You probably should check it out. I'm not going to spoon feed you though; GO SEE FOR YOURSELF the HUNDREDS of videos of strong women beating on others. Maybe it's not "roaming mobs", but that's just semantics.

You mean, YouTube, the site that had the "twerking fail" viral video that got serious play by a number of news stations and turned out to feature a professional stuntwoman and Jimmy Kimmel?

Yeah, spoon-fed people go there to get news they can rely upon. Answer fail.

"Semantics" n. "the meaning of a word phrase sentence or text". If you aren't willing to stand behind your words, you have no business on a board where words are the medium. You said "women", plural. Prove this is a possibility to consider from a reputable news source or we're done with discussion

TO THE BOARD:

I apologize if I offended anyone. I was not at any point trying to validate Ray or minimize his actions and hope that is clear. When you start replying to posts and stuff, it starts to look like your intent is different than what it was originally intended to be. I can't stand Rice or his actions and I am glad the Ravens finally got their head out of their backside and cut the prick.

It's all good. We traded responses in debating a point and it never got personal (it never should). You were very clear in your posts that you were not defending Ray Rice's actions or trying to minimize his behavior. Anyone who actually read your posts should have understood that. No worries my friend.

i haven't read all 24 pages of posts so if this was addressed in the past day, sorry...

i'm not saying he shouldn't have been cut and suspended...please read everything and think about it before you jump on me. I'm not defending him at all, quite the contrary... I'm saying the NFL is a bunch of idiots.

If he was only suspended for 2 games when they knew he was guilty of hitting his wife, why is seeing the actual hitting make a difference??? either way, he hit his wife and plead guilty... seeing it shouldn't matter and doesn't make it any worse. if the NFL wanted to change their stance, they should have just changed it and said "we reevaluated our policy and now he's gone" BEFORE the video came out... now it just looks like they are changing their mind so people don't freak out because seeing it is somehow worse than it just happening...

do you know what I mean? to me they are saying "if we can explain things away so it's not that bad and still look like we are being tough on our players but also still keep good players around no matter what, that's what we'll do" (hence the 2 games)... and since the video came out they had to abandon that thinking because now they can't say "we don't know what happened, maybe he just lightly shoved her and that's not THAT bad... right?"

Seeing a crime shouldn't have any impact, it's horrible either way. But at least they got it right in the end, but just angers me that NOW people are satisfied only because they saw that video...

Edited by MikeG

This is too sane for the internet. Thank you.

If I'm not mistaken, since there was nothing in the rules for domestic abuse he couldn't just throw the hammer down. ESPECIALLY since the wife refused to press charges. They end up getting married. She blames herself. But Goodell should disregard that and ban him for a season? Please.

I think he's a scum bag. I'm glad there is a policy now. This is more on the Ravens.

Why no calls for their owner to step the hell down or sell the team for keeping him!? I'm talking to you Olbermann.

She should blame herself.... It's probably all her fault.... "She asked for it" [\S]

Is all reality- that's what battered women sometimes feel- "it's their fault"

Total bullcrap- this punkass B word needs eliminated from society- with all the rest of the batterers

Here is the interesting thing. She might be one of those extreme rage chicks (she might not be too). This is a huge man that gets hit by 300 lb men for a living. He could have pushed her off and held her hands to prevent her hitting him. Nope like a dumb ass... he hits her.

If he gets hit by the girlfriend, who might have anger issues,....all he has to do is break up with her. Done.... problem solved. She looses the good life because she has rage issues. Any way you slice it Rice screwed up and should be suspended for at least 1 year maybe two.

If Mike Vick can rehab... Ray Rice can.

Edited by Iraq Vet

Here is the interesting thing. She might be one of those extreme rage chicks (she might not be too). This is a huge man that gets hit by 300 lb men for a living. He could have pushed her off and held her hands to prevent her hitting him. Nope like a dumb ass... he hits her.

If he gets hit by the girlfriend, who might have anger issues,....all he has to do is break up with her. Done.... problem solved. She looses the good life because she has rage issues. Any way you slice it Rice screwed up and should be suspended for at least 1 year maybe two.

If Mike Vick can rehab... Ray Rice can.

i think it's interesting that in the first video, rice shows no remorse for his actions, matter of factly dragging her and kicking her legs together. this isn't self defense. he has some very worrisome psychological issues. he's a criminal and a thug. simple as that. the nfl should have recognized that before needing to see a second tape (if, in fact, they hadn't already).

@washingtonpost

Ray Rice's wife Janay defends husband, attacks media http://wapo.st/1onNtAe

BxF-qTbIIAA3KTM.png

Yea sorry there are consequences that you, rice, and rice's lawyer framed this like you were going at him and then a video came out of him knocking you out unprovoked. Sorry there are consequences for beating you wife AND lying. But blame the media and fans for you and your husbands actions.

Edited by Crayola64

Not no more... Sugar daddy about to be forced out of the league. Hope he saved some dough.

Anyway, its a priviledge to work and make millions in the NFL, not a right... He can work other places, nobody is denying him an income.

"Hey aren't you Ray Rice? My dad says you're a scum bag. I think you are gr8... Can I have fries with that?"

He's expected to be able to keep $25M. I hope they can manage to live on that amount.

i haven't read all 24 pages of posts so if this was addressed in the past day, sorry...

i'm not saying he shouldn't have been cut and suspended...please read everything and think about it before you jump on me. I'm not defending him at all, quite the contrary... I'm saying the NFL is a bunch of idiots.

If he was only suspended for 2 games when they knew he was guilty of hitting his wife, why is seeing the actual hitting make a difference??? either way, he hit his wife and plead guilty... seeing it shouldn't matter and doesn't make it any worse. if the NFL wanted to change their stance, they should have just changed it and said "we reevaluated our policy and now he's gone" BEFORE the video came out... now it just looks like they are changing their mind so people don't freak out because seeing it is somehow worse than it just happening...

do you know what I mean? to me they are saying "if we can explain things away so it's not that bad and still look like we are being tough on our players but also still keep good players around no matter what, that's what we'll do" (hence the 2 games)... and since the video came out they had to abandon that thinking because now they can't say "we don't know what happened, maybe he just lightly shoved her and that's not THAT bad... right?"

Seeing a crime shouldn't have any impact, it's horrible either way. But at least they got it right in the end, but just angers me that NOW people are satisfied only because they saw that video...

I'm not going to jump on you. I think you nailed it. You have to hit pretty hard to knock someone unconscious and in addition, I think it's a crock the league didn't or couldn't have access to the video before it became public. Rice's legal team would have had to be given the video as part of his defense, and the NFL could have simply said to Rice "bring it here".

Sarcastic and sad-but-funny take by Pro Football Mock: linky

Dear Media,

He is rich, he can beat me if he wants and I'll keep coming back for more as long as he pays my bills.

From,

A dumb lady

Must be nice to be so all powerful that YOU know better than she does, and that YOU can so easily make fun of her real emotions & feelings. Well, either all powerful or all wrong.

Must be nice to be so all powerful that YOU know better than she does, and that YOU can so easily make fun of her real emotions & feelings. Well, either all powerful or all wrong.

everyone knows better than she does. listen to talk radio today. not making fun of her emotions, calling it like it is. she has the same mentality as most battered women in this world. it's sad. i hope she gets the help she needs and figures it out for herself. she doesn't need to be with a wife beater, she should have more respect for herself than that. and Ray Rice should be in jail. they have more than enough evidence even without her pressing charges. end of story