Ray Rice suspended two games? (Update: now cut/suspended)

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason that people look for the NFL to punish players, is because the NFL is the entity that punishes players. Its not rocket science, but you'll get it one day. You might as well be saying something as ridiculous as "Why do courts punish people?" The answer is because they have LEGAL AUTHORITY to do so. Its the same answer to your "why does the NFL punish players question"

Does "Crayola64" reflect a dietary preference?

In some states the police have to charge where there is probable cause even if the victim protests.

In some states, use of lethal force is permitted in the prevention of a rape.

I like those states.

Actually I did think this last year. The difference is, with this incident, non football fans who didn't know the rules found out about it. You might think you're the smartest guy in the room but you've yet to grasp that element of this.

Who are you, NJSue? Be a man and do your own homework.

Because the people who are the most vocally upset about this are the non football fans who just learned about the NFL rule. Of course they're not going to care about the NFL in 4 weeks, they never cared about it to begin with. But to assume that all NFL fans were ignorant or okay with the old rules is arrogant as hell. Damn, dude. Do you know how everyone in the world thinks?

You're on a roll tonight.

Last year? Kudos for your forward thinking. Your posts seem to indicate that you now think the suspensions are too weak.

There are plenty of posters who are calling for Rice's head since the first video--the existence of this thread should have been your first clue.

I thought DC Tom did a fine job making his point, which is similar to mine in one regard. You were pretending not to understand it so I referenced his post.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Yea I agree, no idea about medical board rules. but I do know about nfl cba rules, and the CBA gives the NFL authority to punish players. So what was the point of his analogy? If an nfl player commits a crime, is he liable to be punished by the nfl legally, the answer is a 100% yes...

yes, but the other point is that moral turpitude clauses are often much more harsh, enabling and resulting in termination in other jobs.

the idea that pro football players should be held to a lower standard is disturbing to me.

Edited by birdog1960

Goodell shouldn't be the one "in charge of a multi-billion dollar industry." That's the point you seem to be missing. The onus should be on the owners who pay the players. Not Goodell.

One small problem with that, is that then you're asking the owner to weigh "doing the right thing" vs. making sure his team wins on Sundays. I think we all know which scenario is likeliest to play out here.

I know that these kinds of cases bring out the anti-PC brigade and people who think that the real problem is false moral outrage, and I understand why. But I also caution posters who don't know the histories of other posters here about painting anyone with too broad a brush on this issue. It is entirely possible that the outrage that some people have on this issue is real and valid, and personal.

I will concede that this is first an issue because the video exists, and second because of Goodell's complete mangling of the PR side of this (the "who did/didn't see the tape" fiasco). It's pretty reasonable to assume that the recently released video 1) existed and 2) should have been seen by Goodell. It's also pretty reasonable to assume that law enforcement screwed the pooch big time here.

Is this all Goodell's job? I am not exactly sure. It is certainly less his job than it is the job of law enforcement. But he is a standard-bearer for a brand that really cannot alienate women wholesale right now -- not when a lot of moms are already thinking long and hard about whether their sons should even be allowed to play this sport. I understand why things are the way they are.

As for people hating Ray Rice more because the tape exists:

Ray Rice is the coward here -- and if fewer abusers can dish out violence because they fear they might be caught on tape somehow, all the better. The existence of the tape should magnify the evil of domestic abuse. It shouldn't be taken as the big bad media etc singling out the guy when he's not the only one. It's a moment where the tables are turned, the abuser is revealed for who he is, and the victim-blaming excuses are just absolutely crushed. We need more of that.

One small problem with that, is that then you're asking the owner to weigh "doing the right thing" vs. making sure his team wins on Sundays. I think we all know which scenario is likeliest to play out here.

What is "the right thing" for the owner to do when the justice system puts the player in six months of group therapy for aggravated assault?

What is "the right thing" for the owner to do when the justice system puts the player in six months of group therapy for aggravated assault?

This is an excellent question.

The answer seems to be...make a show of a quick dispatch so everyone can put this bit of ugliness behind them. Oh--and next time it's gonna be SIX games for the rest of you guys! (wiping hands, rolling sleevees back down).

Edited by Mr. WEO

This is an excellent question.

The answer seems to be...make a show of a quick dispatch so everyone can put this bit of ugliness behind them. Oh--and next time it's gonna be SIX games for the rest of you guys! (wiping hands, rolling sleevees back down).

I guess one thing NOT to do would be to have a press conference lauding the guy and making his wife sit up there with him. JMO.

The irony is that the only thing football fans REALLY seem genuinely riled about is whether the NFL lied about not seeing this current tape before suspending Rice. If they did lie---stand back!! ...and watch Ray Rice and his wife disappear into the usual oblivion of such couples.

Well to be honest, that is potentially the most scandalous revelation that came today. The second video just confirmed what anyone familiar with Occam's Razor had already inferred from the first. All that the second video did was eliminate the other side of the story that nobody believed but couldn't technically prove was a lie. The justification for the light suspension, and for the Ravens organization standing by Rice, was that no one could prove what really happened in the elevator.

So if we take for granted that any sane person condemns what happens in the second video, the actually interesting facet of this situation is that if the NFL lied about not having this tape prior to TMZ, it would mean Goodell deliberately misled the public in order to go easy on a star player. It would cast a shroud over all other supposedly objective investigations and punishments meted out by the league. It would mean Goodell is only willing to do what is right because the public learned the truth. It would mean Goodell is corrupt.

Edited by SoFFacet

Last year? Kudos for your forward thinking. Your posts seem to indicate that you now think the suspensions are too weak.

There are plenty of posters who are calling for Rice's head since the first video--the existence of this thread should have been your first clue.

I thought DC Tom did a fine job making his point, which is similar to mine in one regard. You were pretending not to understand it so I referenced his post.

This post doesn't make sense. Be honest, are you drinking and posting?

How about addressing the point I brought up? The reason the video (that has you so angered) is important is because non-football fans (the ones who are making the most noise and seem to be the target of your outrage) saw it. Or, short of that, answering me what is it that has you so upset? So far you've yet to clarify it. Are you able to?

I guess one thing NOT to do would be to have a press conference lauding the guy and making his wife sit up there with him. JMO.

Assumption on your part. We don't know she was forced or coerced. You would think so...but abuse victims have acted more strangely.

This post doesn't make sense. Be honest, are you drinking and posting?

How about addressing the point I brought up? The reason the video (that has you so angered) is important is because non-football fans (the ones who are making the most noise and seem to be the target of your outrage) saw it. Or, short of that, answering me what is it that has you so upset? So far you've yet to clarify it. Are you able to?

I'm not. I really can't make my thoughts on this more clear for you. Drinking and posting? I'm not gonna bite. Sorry, man.