When you weren't looking...

He may be a one trick pony but his one trick may be the second most valuable trick in pro football. I would almost design around his supposed weakness to keep him on the field. Beating guys as fast as he does, don't underestimate the value of having a chance to get a hand on a back at the handoff.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#2 - my maybe is as good as your prediction, but he is even more experienced too and will probably get more plays in

simply schematically schwartzs scheme doesnt lend itself to as many sacks. We had 57 last year. Without going back to look at the stats i think the most out of a JS defense that I saw was 44. Last year was a solid 25% more than schwartz's best season in the last 10-15 years I believe (and there were several in the 30s).

im not saying that as a knock on JS -- just that in projecting totals -- the front 4 (hughes, mario, KW, and MD) combined for 41 last year. there might not be a lot of room for hughes to improve simply by nature of the system.

Edited by NoSaint

simply schematically schwartzs scheme doesnt lend itself to as many sacks. We had 57 last year. Without going back to look at the stats i think the most out of a JS defense that I saw was 44. Last year was a solid 25% more than schwartz's best season in the last 10-15 years I believe (and there were several in the 30s).

im not saying that as a knock on JS -- just that in projecting totals -- the front 4 (hughes, mario, KW, and MD) combined for 41 last year. there might not be a lot of room for hughes to improve simply by nature of the system.

OK, that's reasonable. Don't today's coaches want to utilize the skills of the players they have by adapting their system to them and not the other way around. Some talk as if the new Schwartz system is cut out of diamond and is too rigid. If an incoming OC had built a reputation on running the ball and is introduced to Peyton Manning as his QB, wouldn't he adapt to the strengths of his most talented players?

We had a record setting defense in one phase of the game last year, do we really have to sacrifice 25% to enhance our run D? I thought that would be shored up by Spikes.

Lotsa Q's. Thanks for your input.

But we had to give up Sheppard.

#WhaleyPwnedTheColts

Again, Whaley will end up being the best thing to happen to the Bills in many years. Hopefully new ownership realizes this.

Truth.

Agreed.

This trade was made on Nix's watch. It's funny how Waley gets credit for all the good moves while Nix gets the blame for the bad ones. It's the same thing that happened when Nix took over.

you think OC's will dramatically change their game plans around this years' Schwartz driven team relative to Pettine's scheme?

If I'm an OC facing the Bills early in the year, I ram the football down their throat until they show they can stop the run (for the first time in like 10 years). Just cuz the Bills got a new DC doesn't necessarily mean they can suddenly stop the run.

My favorite Jerry Hughes play of 2013 was the jail break that caused Tannehill to fumble away the game in the 1st Fish game. Hughes rushed in from the outside, grabbed the RB by the shoulder pads, and literally threw him into Tannehill. The look on that RBs face is pricesless. Not sure if there is a vid of it on internet, but I still have it on DVR. You gotta see the view from the side of the line he is on. AWESOME PLAY. Mario gets the credit on this play, but Jerry really caused the fumble.

Edited by reddogblitz

OK, that's reasonable. Don't today's coaches want to utilize the skills of the players they have by adapting their system to them and not the other way around. Some talk as if the new Schwartz system is cut out of diamond and is too rigid. If an incoming OC had built a reputation on running the ball and is introduced to Peyton Manning as his QB, wouldn't he adapt to the strengths of his most talented players?

We had a record setting defense in one phase of the game last year, do we really have to sacrifice 25% to enhance our run D? I thought that would be shored up by Spikes.

Lotsa Q's. Thanks for your input.

All fair questions - and I think the answer is we don't know yet what he will do. The acquisition of spikes fits the mold of his prototype defense - if you are looking for clues to whether we should picture his past systems (generally consistent across 2 teams for a decade)... That's the best I can point to.

For Hughes- Cliff Avril is probably the best comparable player I could point to for you in a JS system. Maxed out at 11 sacks. Vandenbosch got 12 a couple times and kearse got 10 (his 14.5 season was under Gregg).

I'd say 8-10 is a fair expectation. Mario at 12, KW and MD at 8 each would be 36-38... Toss in 4-5 to backup Dline and 4-5 to blitzers and that puts us mid/upper 40s

Edited by NoSaint

Many players, Hughes included, just need a change of venue to get their careers back on track. My hat is off to Whaley on this..

I think you make two good points sandy.

I would like to not only credit Whaley for the deal but the Bills coaching staff for getting this kid dialed up and humming. !

Keep it coming J Hughes !

I would be setting money aside for him if he looks half as good in pre season - season as he has in underwear and now a day of pads.

This kind of addition and then turnaround keeps me very interested in the team. Can the Bills actually... dare i say it.. Develop players ?

I think , nowadays they might be getting a knack for this stuff

Two Words:

Contract Year.

That's what I've been saying. If Hughes is so valuable to the Bills, then we need to give him a contract extension very soon.

I get the feeling that if he hits free agency, we will lose him.

All fair questions - and I think the answer is we don't know yet what he will do. The acquisition of spikes fits the mold of his prototype defense - if you are looking for clues to whether we should picture his past systems (generally consistent across 2 teams for a decade)... That's the best I can point to.

For Hughes- Cliff Avril is probably the best comparable player I could point to for you in a JS system. Maxed out at 11 sacks. Vandenbosch got 12 a couple times and kearse got 10 (his 14.5 season was under Gregg).

I'd say 8-10 is a fair expectation. Mario at 12, KW and MD at 8 each would be 36-38... Toss in 4-5 to backup Dline and 4-5 to blitzers and that puts us mid/upper 40s

No Saint ,

I am nothing much for statistics , but i think you might be able to answer somewhat this query .

Is there a relationship measured for defenses that directly relates INT based on pressures ? , to be found ?

Or passes defended in relation to pressure .

Sacks might be a broken play or pure human effort or a coverage sack.

I wonder if pressures mught be better than sacks. And I think our secondary is the best he has worked with yet

That's what I've been saying. If Hughes is so valuable to the Bills, then we need to give him a contract extension very soon.

As i mentioned . I think Bills need to make that decision to attempt a deal pretty quickly and maybe take some risk .

I think we are in a choose either Hughes or dareus situation potentially. It'll be interesting as neither is a slam dunk to succeed.... How they handle these two will go a long way in shaping this team. Obviously EJ is the biggest thing but these two in the coming months will be a pretty defining set of decisions for the regime.