The #2 Backup QB spot is up for grabs - who do you want?

Backup QB Competition  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you hope wins the backup QB spot?

• Thad Lewis
    • Jeff Tuel

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are exactly the right guys behind EJ. They probably don't feel it's worth the risk to his confidence to grab someone with a tremendous amount of upside.

As I mentioned tangentially in another thread, I thought Thad would be stronger from day one. But Tuel was a UDFA rookie right?

Not like we took him at pick #8. They threw him to the wolves and both he and the team were overmatched. I don't really recall anyone else stepping up to win the CLE game either. But my memory is that of a great cornerback.

....Lewis looked better to YOU..not to me. Both Miami games were won by the defense

They had to have someone under center to win those games... Thad gets the nod from me for now... Not saying I will have that same opinion after the PS... But Thad has proven more to me (which means nothing) up to this point

Whaley has stated that they want a backup QB that can go .500 when called upon.

It also appears that this is a team that wants to run first and play strong defense.

Given the above, the question of "upside" is not the point. They want a guy who can steer the ship for a game or two. Everyone knows Thad played better than Tuel last year. However, Thad plays with aggression, is a little smallish, and has a tendency to put the ball on the ground. I'm not a Tuel fan because of the weakness of his throwing arm. However, if he becomes a better decision-maker they might feel like he puts the team at less risk.

The backup QB situation is my biggest complaint about the FO. After last year I would have hoped we would have at least tried to bring in a competent veteran backup for EJ. Both Tuel and Thad are pretty bad.

Vick, Schaub, or Fitz would have been much better options if EJ goes down. When we trade up for a WR and give up next a years 1, it's win now mode. Having Tuel or Thad under center immediately blows that up. I'm confident Vick, Schaub, and Fitz (in that order) would have been much better in a fill in role.

And/or take a flyer on a later round QB prospect.

Thad has had 4 years to develop. He most likely has shown all he has. IMHO he wasn't that much better than Tuel. So let Tuel have a shot to see if he can develop.

I think many of us are of the opinion that Tuels potential is merely Thad's current ability. If that is true no need to roll the dice. Obviously that evaluation of each guy is simply opinion

Edited by NoSaint

...Lewis has been on how many teams?...didn't stick. Tuel....more upside

Based on what exactly? I mean what does he do well that you think give him more "upside". You can't just go with a guy because he is younger and played less. How does that make sense?

Tuel was great in the Colts pre season game. Big deal. The second half of the most meaningless of all meaningless pre season games agaisnt the Colts 4th an d5th team defenses. He was horrible vs the Redskins a few weeks later. Then vs Cleveland he out and out sucked, although he did lay a nice long pass into TJ's hands which he promptly dropped.

Thaddeus is tough and a better leader than Tuel Time. He got mauled vs NO, but hung tough. He led 2 wins over the Fish who were is playoff contention for those games. He played pretty well vs Patsies in last game making some very nice play but we had no chance to win due to our D and Kicking Teams ineptness.

Thaddues hands down.

Here's my thought - I don't really care about upside because EJ is the one who is really being developed to be a starter. If either were good enough to start, they would be starting somewhere else. There is a shortage of good starting QBs in the league. I have seen Thad win (or, at least, not lose, some games). I have only seen Tuel lose games. I don't hate Tuel or think he is worthless, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with him as the backup at all. Regardless of what he does in camp.

IMO, Thad should have won the Cincy game. He put up 24 pts at home. The D and ST sucked it up.

IMO, Thad should have won the Cincy game. He put up 24 pts at home. The D and ST sucked it up.

He also should have won at least made it a much closer game vs the Patsies on the last day of the season in their own house. The D and ST sucked it up.

I would also add that Coach Marrone and Hackett Jr. cost us the Bungles game as well. Going for it on 4th and goal on the 1. They run a tackle eligible play with the only 2 guys going out for passes being a Tackle and a Fullback. A FG would have come in handy at the end. AND out D subsequently gave up a 99 yard drive. Nothing fires up a team more than a goal line stand.

He also should have won at least made it a much closer game vs the Patsies on the last day of the season in their own house. The D and ST sucked it up.

I would also add that Coach Marrone and Hackett Jr. cost us the Bungles game as well. Going for it on 4th and goal on the 1. They run a tackle eligible play with the only 2 guys going out for passes being a Tackle and a Fullback. A FG would have come in handy at the end. AND out D subsequently gave up a 99 yard drive. Nothing fires up a team more than a goal line stand.

OMG. I had forgotten about that. You're welcome, Brownies. Enjoy that twice/yr. Edited by YoloinOhio

Shoulda brought in somebody we could rely on to not ruin our season if he was forced into action.

Aaron Murray in the 5th round would have been nice.

Maybe Thad looks better with an improved O-line, but I don't think he's even average from what he's shown.

Shoulda added better depth with an injury prone starter....