dick cheney:face of the right and worst vp in history

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/17/opinion/begala-dick-cheney-lies/. a republican friend told me about this piece recently. unsurprisingly, he's a moderate but what is wrong with the far right missing the absolute deceit in this guy or not missing it and condoning it? anyone wanna put forth a theory as to why this pathologic liar still has a national voice that some people heed?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: Editor's note: Paul Begala, a Democratic strategist and CNN political commentator, was a political consultant for Bill Clinton's presidential campaign in 1992 ..."

Do you swallow absolutely EVERYTHING the media tells you?

how bout pointing out where the piece is inaccurate? kinda like what the piece did with cheney's statements...

Only articles written by Republicans and Tea Party members are to be trusted.

No, you idiot.

The point is that you should always consider the source of any piece, and then judge the merits of the article on bias.

Begala happens to be a hyper partisan flack, who's made a name for himself carrying Clintons' water. Thus you should take that into your analysis, especially with Hillary running in 2016. You should file this away in Hillary's early offensive to frame the conversation. You're also forgetting the narrative that one of the reasons Bush admin had to be intrusive in foreign lands was because Willy ignored them during his 8 years.

No, you idiot.

The point is that you should always consider the source of any piece, and then judge the merits of the article on bias.

Begala happens to be a hyper partisan flack, who's made a name for himself carrying Clintons' water. Thus you should take that into your analysis, especially with Hillary running in 2016. You should file this away in Hillary's early offensive to frame the conversation. You're also forgetting the narrative that one of the reasons Bush admin had to be intrusive in foreign lands was because Willy ignored them during his 8 years.

why don't you critique the actual points made in the piece rather than its author? in what regard is he wrong in this analysis?

Love him or hate him, Cheney calls 'em as he sees 'em...you know, kinda like Bozo Joe Biden, POTUS and a whole string of pretenders. If you truly believe that your bozos are better than their bozos, I bow to your ignorance.

why don't you critique the actual points made in the piece rather than its author? in what regard is he wrong in this analysis?

It depends on the definition of analysis (sound familiar?)

If you want to analyze the quotes that Begala picked without adding context, then for obvious reasons Begala's points are correct. Unfortunately, for Begala the quotes don't exist in a vacuum and context matters a lot as to when they were said and what was the source of the intelligence.

The biggest hilarity is the Richard Clark meme. I believe that it's been clearly refuted that he would have prevented the 9/11 attack if only Bush & Co listened to him.

It depends on the definition of analysis (sound familiar?)

If you want to analyze the quotes that Begala picked without adding context, then for obvious reasons Begala's points are correct. Unfortunately, for Begala the quotes don't exist in a vacuum and context matters a lot as to when they were said and what was the source of the intelligence.

The biggest hilarity is the Richard Clark meme. I believe that it's been clearly refuted that he would have prevented the 9/11 attack if only Bush & Co listened to him.

why don't you enlighten us with the context that makes repeatedy linking iraq to 9/11 defensible? I'll wait... Edited by birdog1960

You're also forgetting the narrative that one of the reasons Bush admin had to be intrusive in foreign lands was because Willy ignored them during his 8 years.

Blame Clinton? Wow, talk about a hyper partisan flake. You are an idiot

"He said the lead 9/11 hijacker "did go to Prague, and he did meet with a senior official of the Iraqi intelligence service ... several months before the attack." Wrong, according to a Senate Intelligence Committee report.

He said Saddam had "an established relationship with al Qaeda." Wrong (PDF)."

This is spot on, not lost context here. Cheney from day one tried to make out like Saddam did 9-11. And it all came right out of his own lying brain.

I'll help. When a commie like Begala speaks or writes in what he wants to be an educational/scholarly tone, he often slips up and exposes his bias in part of his diatribe. At first I thought the selective use of information about placing blame for 9/11 on Cheney, ignoring details about Clarke, and ignoring completely the whole Jamie Gorelik fiasco would be the most obvious, but no.

The cartoonish Begala just could not resist going to the quail hunting incident which was obviously so important to our safety as a country and say "there is no evidence Cheney ever apologized". Why would there be? So Paul Begala can be satisfied? There is also no evidence that he didn't apologize. Not only is it completely irrelevant, but Begala has no idea if his assertion is correct or not. This doesn't stop him.

Even if you take at face value all of the other crap he claims about Cheney, it still does not hide the fact that in 2009, when Obama took office, he walked into a set of circumstances, like all presidents do. People do this in all walks of life. A sales manager walks into a new job and his job is to improve the situation. Same with a Fire Chief or a dog catcher or an attorney at a new firm. Once in the job for 5+ years, it is rare for a sales manager, dog catcher or fire chief to blame his predecessor for a precipitous decline in the status of his organization.

In Obama's case, he has a legion of dorks like Begala in the press eagerly awaiting the opportunity to blame someone else for every single aspect of foreign policy being worse off than it was in 2009. Our standing in the world went from shaky in some areas and stable in others to a dumpster fire in 5 years. This is not Cheney's fault but the best the commies can do is blame him. They ran on the supposition that Obama was some sort of God like figure. That has been proven false, so now they can go back and make someone else look like the devil. The fire chief, sales manager and dog catcher would all be gone by now. Obama is still here with his Los Gatos feign policy and every single one of our enemies know they can run roughshod around the world with no fear of repercussions against them.

I'd like to say I hope a light switch goes on and Begala gets it some day but I actually don't. You know why I hope he never gets it?

Because the only way he'll ever get it is when his head is rolling down a flight of stairs, that's why.

I didn't realize that a politician who had been out of office for five years was still important enough to be the "face of the right."

Anything to remove focus from the utter incompetence of the current administration and Congressional "leadership" on the left, eh partisan lemmings?

it's shocking that the cons here don't want to discuss cheney's purposeful and calculated dishonesty on it's own . they need to bring in tangential issues to muddy the waters.

chaney lied repeatedly. the lies were important in promoting a hugely unsuccessful and costly war. and he accepts no blame.

the shooting quip was an attempt at humor. ya know, the allusion to burr? i'm also shocked that the cons sense of humor poorly matches the authors!

finally, was anyone convinced with his answer to the report of private discussions with goldman sachs involving his recommendation that iran and iraq be attacked simultaneously? why is he disussing such topics privately with goldman sachs at all?

I didn't realize that a politician who had been out of office for five years was still important enough to be the "face of the right."

Anything to remove focus from the utter incompetence of the current administration and Congressional "leadership" on the left, eh partisan lemmings?

i don't believe that you don't watch fox. what feed were you watching during the last presidential election? never seen links to his spoutings on drudge? Edited by birdog1960

Nothing like a good "Squirrel" thread to distract from the daily incompetence stories .............right bd ?

let's go back even farther.

Anderson Cooper: 'TWA Flight 800 Was Shot Down'

http://www.americant..._shot_down.html

that should be good for some posts...................lol

"why don't you refute Paul Begala's points ??"...................lol, what a hoot !

it's shocking that the cons here don't want to discuss cheney's purposeful and calculated dishonesty on it's own

That's because everyone is too busy talking about the purposeful and calculated dishonesty and incompetence of, y'know, the guy who's been running the country for the past five years.

But hey! CHENEYBUSHRUMMYCRUZPALINTEABAGGER, ammiright?

chaney lied repeatedly. the lies were important in promoting a hugely unsuccessful and costly war. and he accepts no blame.

so all of a sudden you're concerned with our public servants lying to us? it's about time....welcome to the club, brother.

so all of a sudden you're concerned with our public servants lying to us? it's about time....welcome to the club, brother.

the iraq war and it's negative outcomes were and are the most impactful us foreign policy actions in the last 20 years. everything else pales in comparison in terms of human and economic cost. yet if we can't identify the mistakes that lead to the disastrous outcomes, we are likely doomed to repeat them. but cheney thinks his mispent youth was his biggest mistake. presumably, he'd do it all over again just the way he did it the first time. and by extension, ya'll seem just fine with that as evidenced by his presence on multiple right wing stages.