Get Ready for the "Legion of Boom" Rule in 2014

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't the 2004 rule change come as a result of the pats mugging of the Colts?

Yes, and the officials took it seriously.

Then the officials saw Robert Kraft's checkbook and they took that even more seriously.

Namdi assumeispelleditwrongumwaa was hurt by the league when WR's were allowed to be more aggressive and get away with more. And that ruined him

Sherman is next. He will be hurt by this.

The truth is holding happens every play in more then just the backfield. An offensive lineman who can't hide his holding call doesn't belong in the league.

This might be the most accurate post I've read recently. I played four years of college ball and some of the best lineman worked with were excellent holders.

Screw that, the NFL needs to reinstate contact beyond 5 yards, make it 10 yards like college and that would be progress. Frankly, I believe that contact should be legal until the ball is thrown to prevent some QB from throwing 7000 yards and 70 TD's. From a safety standpoint, it is probably better to have constant contact down the field as opposed to encouraging DB's to close a distance a way to destroy a receiver. By allowing more contact, INT rates will also skyrocket as well. I want the game back to how it was in my childhood as opposed to the 2 hand hop scotch that Goodell is implementing.

Well that Gilmores game, he's physical and tends to bump into and hold receivers so I'm guessing we'll get called on a lot I these.

He gets called for about once a game as it is. But it's not really anything different than what the Legion of Doom does, yet they didn't get called much.

I would love to see how good Richard Sherman would be IF he got flagged on every play he held or mugged a WR past 5 yards. Then see how good he is. He might be good, but then again if he so good, how come he has to do this?

I have my doubts that the refs will really do this to the new glamor team, the Hawks. They may just call it on everyone else except the Hawks and the Patsies of course.

I predicted this new "point of emphasis" for this year back in January. Should be fun to watch. Especially if they really do call the Legion of Doom every time they do it.

Edited by reddogblitz

This may be relevant. Peter King's column this week includes a tweet from Ron Pereira:

"Btw, officials were shown many plays regarding illegal contact and defensive holding. How many Seahawk plays???. None."

King interprets thus:

"I found this interesting, that Pereira would see that the the league, which is team-blind when it comes to picking out plays to show the officials to illustrate what should and shouldn’t be called, couldn’t find Seahawks going over the line on defense. "

Not sure that is the only conclusion to draw.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/07/21/buffalo-bills-training-camp-opens/3/

kj

I would love for them to throw a flag on Richard Sherman every play and run his butt out of the league. Richard Sherman is the best corner in the game, just ask Richard Sherman

I understand that some people don't get it, but I find Sherman funny. His trash talking is mostly good natured and you have to take him with a grain of salt. He is one of the most talented and entertaining players in the game. Let's not make the NFL more of the No Fun League than it already is.

I understand that some people don't get it, but I find Sherman funny. His trash talking is mostly good natured and you have to take him with a grain of salt. He is one of the most talented and entertaining players in the game. Let's not make the NFL more of the No Fun League than it already is.

I'm all for having fun. But what he did in the NFC championship game was over the top and unsportsmanlike. You won, let it go. Don't keep talking crap AFTER the game and well into the offseason. Sherman will get his one day. In the NFL, you aren't on the top for very long

Well that Gilmores game, he's physical and tends to bump into and hold receivers so I'm guessing we'll get called on a lot I these.

That's literally every Seahawk corner's game.

Edited by Fingon

i likewise take it with a grain of salt - i just dont find it entertaining.

pardon me if I misread your post ...

that's why the rule change is named such.

The Seahawk corners call themselves the

Legion of Boom

My point is that almost every good corner in the league plays like that. If it's going to result in Gilmore getting a lot of calls it's going to result in everyone else having it called against them too. We'll see the benefit of it on offense and the harm of it on defense. Just like every other team in the league.

I couldn't care less how it affects the Seahawks, just how it's going to affect us. And I'm guessing because we've been bad for so long it will affect us as refs tend to be easier on good teams.

The Seahawks had the most penalties and penalty yards in the NFL last year.

My point is that almost every good corner in the league plays like that. If it's going to result in Gilmore getting a lot of calls it's going to result in everyone else having it called against them too. We'll see the benefit of it on offense and the harm of it on defense. Just like every other team in the league.

True, but some more than others.

case in point Seattle and as I mentioned the Cheatriots

True, but some more than others.

case in point Seattle and as I mentioned the Cheatriots

Again, the Seahawks were the most penalized team in the NFL last year. It wasn't even close.

They averaged 9.5 penalties for 88.4 yards last year. They had 30 more penalties than the next closest team (The Broncos).

Edited by Fingon