What is better, no guns, or more guns?

5 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I get what you're saying but there is one difference.... owning a firearm is a constitutional right. Driving is a privilege. You can own as many cars as you like, you don't have to have a DL or have it registered but you have to keep it on your property. Same with firearms. 

I appreciate that distinction

So, has there been discussion about this potential problem?

43 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I don't sell to anyone I don't know. I really don't sell... I've given my father, mother and brother in law gun(s) as gifts. I sold one rifle to a former USMC friend who wanted to do what I do (long range shooting comp). 

What's to say someone you rented a UHAUL to won't use it as a truck bomb?

I feel like the U-Haul might not be the most important component in this hypothetical situation.

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I feel like the U-Haul might not be the most important component in this hypothetical situation.

The main source of gun deaths, aside from suicides, are gangs/drugs. Not your neighbor selling to a neighbor or buying their brother in law a 30/30 lever action. 

21 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

I appreciate that distinction

So, has there been discussion about this potential problem?

There has been people talk about re-evaluating people after buying a firearm years down the road. I haven't heard of many people who ended up with dementia shooting up a place. Not sure how you'd enforce this... that's the biggest argument I've been making. How do you do anything people talk about? 

1 hour ago, Bob in Mich said:

I haven’t followed this thread closely so apologies if this has been discussed

Just like with driver’s licenses, are we considering possible diminishing mental faculties and dementia with aging gun owners? Seems like quite a few of these ‘responsible gun owners’ that may have assembled a gun collection will someday suffer from dementia.

The person may become agitated and confused and could become a non responsible gun owner.  Or, the person may forget about them and could easily lose track of the weapons.

Has there been discussion about this issue here?

Bob…I agree. I see nothing wrong with people having to take a safety test every so many years. If nothing else it puts more emphasis on gun responsibility. And in my opinion it doesn’t negate the 2nd Amendment. 

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I don't sell to anyone I don't know. I really don't sell... I've given my father, mother and brother in law gun(s) as gifts. I sold one rifle to a former USMC friend who wanted to do what I do (long range shooting comp). 

What's to say someone you rented a UHAUL to won't use it as a truck bomb?

Are you for or against background checks for all transactions?  I take it no.  Why are your transactions any different from gun shops?  Because you “know” them?  

Again….you know them?   How well?  Do you know whether or not your USMC suffers major PDST and is in major depression meds?   

Your UHAUL analogy is asinine but hopefully you know this 

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Are you for or against background checks for all transactions?  I take it no.  Why are your transactions any different from gun shops?  Because you “know” them?  

Again….you know them?   How well?  Do you know whether or not your USMC suffers major PDST and is in major depression meds?   

Your UHAUL analogy is asinine but hopefully you know this 

Because, as I've said in this long thread of posts, CRIMINALS aren't going to do background checks. I know the people I've sold to or given them as gifts. So to answer your question, yes. I'm against ALL background checks. Person to person, private sales, it's not a practical thing. Again, Krazy-8 isn't going to do a background check with his local FFL to sell his Glock to Tuco. 

And the UHAUL analogy isn't that far off from being relevant. I was in OKC in 1995. I saw the aftermath of what a truck bomb did. The point is, you can't see into the future of what someone 'might' do. Just like a FLL at Academy Sports don't know the future if that person will use it to take their own life 10 years down the road. 

4 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Because, as I've said in this long thread of posts, CRIMINALS aren't going to do background checks. I know the people I've sold to or given them as gifts. So to answer your question, yes. I'm against ALL background checks. Person to person, private sales, it's not a practical thing. Again, Krazy-8 isn't going to do a background check with his local FFL to sell his Glock to Tuco. 

And the UHAUL analogy isn't that far off from being relevant. I was in OKC in 1995. I saw the aftermath of what a truck bomb did. The point is, you can't see into the future of what someone 'might' do. Just like a FLL at Academy Sports don't know the future if that person will use it to take their own life 10 years down the road. 

You know them?? You didn’t answer question. It wasn’t rhetorical.  Do you, for a fact, know your USMC buddy does or does not suffer from PTSD and is on medications. Yes or no.  And if he his should he be allowed to purchase a weapon.

Not practical? Awww poor baby.  You need to have him fill out paperwork to purchase your weapon.  

This has NOTHING to do with criminals. This is about keeping weapons out is the hands of those with mental illnesses. Do not say “don’t blame the gun, blame the person” but turn around and sell your weapon to any person who you THINK you know.  How many neighbors of these crazies say “but he seemed like a nice quiet guy.”? 

38 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

You know them?? You didn’t answer question. It wasn’t rhetorical.  Do you, for a fact, know your USMC buddy does or does not suffer from PTSD and is on medications. Yes or no.  And if he his should he be allowed to purchase a weapon.

Not practical? Awww poor baby.  You need to have him fill out paperwork to purchase your weapon.  

This has NOTHING to do with criminals. This is about keeping weapons out is the hands of those with mental illnesses. Do not say “don’t blame the gun, blame the person” but turn around and sell your weapon to any person who you THINK you know.  How many neighbors of these crazies say “but he seemed like a nice quiet guy.”? 

As*hole much?

I also served. Just be take you served and might have PTSD (a lot of people have it who never served in the military) doesn’t mean you should lose your f’ing rights. Holy chit dude. 

How many former military shoot up places??? And I’m all for background checks, I’ve done dozens in my life for firearm purchases. It’s not practical to have people who sell or gift firearms to run another background check. You can’t enforce it and yes, criminals have everything to do with my argument. Most shootings are done by gangs/drug deals. 

Wow dude. PTSD 🤦🏻‍♂️🙄

Edited by ArdmoreRyno

2 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

As*hole much?

I also served. Just be take you served and might have PTSD (a lot of people have it who never served in the military) doesn’t mean you should lose your f’ing rights. Holy chit dude. 

How many former military shoot up places??? And I’m all for background checks, I’ve done dozens in my life for firearm purchases. It’s not practical to have people who sell or gift firearms to run another background check. You can’t enforce it and yes, criminals have everything to do with my argument. Most shootings are done by gangs/drug deals. 

Wow dude. PTSD 🤦🏻‍♂️🙄

You have stats about that? 

Guns and drugs connection? 

4 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

####### much?

I also served. Just be take you served and might have PTSD (a lot of people have it who never served in the military) doesn’t mean you should lose your f’ing rights. Holy ***** dude. 

Wow dude. PTSD 🤦🏻‍♂️🙄

Still don't seem to have answered his question.🤔

Isn't the idea that you make it illegal to sell to criminals and people with red flags, so maybe criminals still sell to each other, but wouldn't the supply dry up as illegally owned firearms get picked up in the course of things?

23 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You have stats about that? 

Guns and drugs connection? 

Look up who were involved in all theses “mass shootings”. 

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

18 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Still don't seem to have answered his question.🤔

Isn't the idea that you make it illegal to sell to criminals and people with red flags, so maybe criminals still sell to each other, but wouldn't the supply dry up as illegally owned firearms get picked up in the course of things?

I’m all for finding a way to keep guns out of criminals and seriously mentally ill people’s hands. 

Private sale backgrounds won’t fix it. That’s what I’m saying. How would guns “dry up”? 

9 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Look up who were involved in all theses “mass shootings”. 

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/mass-shooting

I’m all for finding a way to keep guns out of criminals and seriously mentally ill people’s hands. 

Private sale backgrounds won’t fix it. That’s what I’m saying. How would guns “dry up”? 

Nothing to prove most shootings are drug and gang related? 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Nothing to prove most shootings are drug and gang related? 

Okay, then instead, I’ll say most shootings are between minorities in the intercity. You don’t see minority kids in the suburbs shootings each other. 

Not difficult to put two and two together. 

18 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Okay, then instead, I’ll say most shootings are between minorities in the intercity. You don’t see minority kids in the suburbs shootings each other. 

Not difficult to put two and two together. 

Stats? 

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Stats? 

In a Feb. 3, 2020 op-ed published in TownHall.com, Lott writes, “The overwhelming majority of non-adult murders involving drug gangs, and nearly all of the victims are teenagers. Drug dealers are the primary source of illegal guns.”

76% of these injured “children” were 17, 18, or 19 years old. 

62% of injuries were the result of criminal assaults. 

The injuries are overwhelmingly concentrated in large, urban areas.

All of these deaths are clearly tragic. But they are largely a result of gang violence, a problem that won’t be solved by scaring law-abiding Americans into not owning guns.” 

Edited by ArdmoreRyno

3 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

In a Feb. 3, 2020 op-ed published in TownHall.com, Lott writes, “The overwhelming majority of non-adult murders involving drug gangs, and nearly all of the victims are teenagers. Drug dealers are the primary source of illegal guns.”

76% of these injured “children” were 17, 18, or 19 years old. 

62% of injuries were the result of criminal assaults. 

The injuries are overwhelmingly concentrated in large, urban areas.

All of these deaths are clearly tragic. But they are largely a result of gang violence, a problem that won’t be solved by scaring law-abiding Americans into not owning guns.” 

Were you not screaming for me to be banned for posting a Vox video? You reply with a garbage Townhall op-ed? 

• Haha (+1) 1