What is better, no guns, or more guns?

Own a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended. Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" I yell as I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle.

Blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot. Draw my pistol on the second man, miss him entirely because it's smoothbore and nails the neighbors dog. I have to resort to the cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grape shot, "Tally ho lads!” The grape shot shreds two men in the blast, the sound and extra shrapnel set off car alarms.

Fix bayonet and charge the last terrified rapscallion. He bleeds out waiting on the police to arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch up. Just as the founding fathers intended. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/8/2022 at 1:38 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Just like everything else...the demand for 'background checks' is nothing more than a easy-to-type talking point.  What will be checked?  Who gets to determine your rights in the grey areas?  Have the existing checks proven ineffective? Would the existing checks have stopped the recent shootings?  Serious people see what's going on here....and the talking points are NOT serious. 

That's the thing... what do they want? We already do background checks on all new gun sales. We do background checks on used gun sales coming out of a gun/pawn store (unless it's an antique firearm). 

The ONLY thing we don't do background checks on is private sales. Me selling my Ruger 10/22 to my neighbor for his kid to learn how to shoot or when I gifted my dad his Mossberg 500 shotgun. I now need to go to a FFL and pay $20 so we can do background checks on these? No thanks.

You'll always have criminals buying them off the street from other criminals... they aren't going to drive over to their local FFL (firearms dealer) and go through the background process. Ever. So the idea of "universal background checks" is pointless and moronic. 

On 6/8/2022 at 1:33 PM, Tiberius said:

Not enough 

Again, what do you want to do? NO CRIMINAL SELLING OR BUYING A FIREARM IS GOING TO DO A BACKGROUND CHECK. Krazy-8 and Tuco aren't going to meet up at the local Academy to run a 4473 so they can sell their guns to each other. It's just NOT HAPPENING. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

That's the thing... what do they want? We already do background checks on all new gun sales. We do background checks on used gun sales coming out of a gun/pawn store (unless it's an antique firearm). 

The ONLY thing we don't do background checks on is private sales. Me selling my Ruger 10/22 to my neighbor for his kid to learn how to shoot or when I gifted my dad his Mossberg 500 shotgun. I now need to go to a FFL and pay $20 so we can do background checks on these? No thanks.

You'll always have criminals buying them off the street from other criminals... they aren't going to drive over to their local FFL (firearms dealer) and go through the background process. Ever. So the idea of "universal background checks" is pointless and moronic. 

Increased background checks and waiting peiods. 

Again, what do you want to do? NO CRIMINAL SELLING OR BUYING A FIREARM IS GOING TO DO A BACKGROUND CHECK. Krazy-8 and Tuco aren't going to meet up at the local Academy to run a 4473 so they can sell their guns to each other. It's just NOT HAPPENING. 

Increased backgroud checks and longer waiting periods 

8 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Increased backgroud checks and longer waiting periods 

Explain "increased"....  And again, I've said this many times, you want the 20 year old single mom who's ex has beat her over and over, to have to WAIT to protect herself?

I have two daughters in college in different states (one is in Boston and the other in Oxford, MS), both living off campus. There would be NO way I'd want my girls to wait to be able to protect themselves from someone who has either caused them harm or threatened to cause them harm. 

And you skipped over the fact, no criminal is doing a background check to buy a firearm from another criminal. Ever. 

Edited by ArdmoreRyno

25 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Explain "increased"....  And again, I've said this many times, you want the 20 year old single mom who's ex has beat her over and over, to have to WAIT to protect herself?

I have two daughters in college in different states (one is in Boston and the other in Oxford, MS), both living off campus. There would be NO way I'd want my girls to wait to be able to protect themselves from someone who has either caused them harm or threatened to cause them harm. 

And you skipped over the fact, no criminal is doing a background check to buy a firearm from another criminal. Ever. 

Better, safer gun laws will be good. You won't be interfered with at all. So many deaths, something has to get done. Hope they push this set of reforms over goal line soon 

27 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Exactly, we need to get rid of a lot of the guns out there. Gun industry has flooded the country with killing devices 

Oh and let victims sue those gun makers 

34 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Better, safer gun laws will be good. You won't be interfered with at all. So many deaths, something has to get done. Hope they push this set of reforms over goal line soon 

Exactly, we need to get rid of a lot of the guns out there. Gun industry has flooded the country with killing devices 

Oh and let victims sue those gun makers 

What "safer gun laws" arey you thinking?  You keep posting things without actual answers on what or how.

How exactly are you going to "get rid of a lot of guns out there"? Have Tuco and the Salamanca twins turn in their guns after making a nation wide "You criminals who have illegal firearms, you better turn them in!"?? 

31 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

What "safer gun laws" arey you thinking?  You keep posting things without actual answers on what or how.

How exactly are you going to "get rid of a lot of guns out there"? Have Tuco and the Salamanca twins turn in their guns after making a nation wide "You criminals who have illegal firearms, you better turn them in!"?? 

I already said. Hope they get this first round of gun safety legislation done so we can move on to more 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I already said. Hope they get this first round of gun safety legislation done so we can move on to more 

So you can't say it again? I didn't want to go through 355 pages of replies. 

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Seriously?  So you can give your weapon to any drug addicted/schizophrenic/psychotic/depressed.......(take your pic) person?   Yes please!!  

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Seriously?  So you can give your weapon to any drug addicted/schizophrenic/psychotic/depressed.......(take your pic) person?   Yes please!!  

Huh? 

I'm not selling any of my firearms to those types of people (if I ever did sell them). But I've bought my dad a pistol and a lever action rifle as gifts before. We need to go do MORE background checks? And again, what criminal is going to do that??? 

14 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Classic cult

I'd love to see the actual source of this quote... some news conference or press release. What MacFarlane tweeted was this: “I think we’re more interested in the red wave than we are in red flags. Quite honestly, as Republicans .” 

If he did say that, you can twist that to be on the pro or anti-gun side. 

2 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I'd love to see the actual source of this quote... some news conference or press release. What MacFarlane tweeted was this: “I think we’re more interested in the red wave than we are in red flags. Quite honestly, as Republicans .” 

If he did say that, you can twist that to be on the pro or anti-gun side. 

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

FVO_vnhVUAAxG1Z?format=jpg&name=small

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Huh? 

I'm not selling any of my firearms to those types of people (if I ever did sell them). But I've bought my dad a pistol and a lever action rifle as gifts before. We need to go do MORE background checks? And again, what criminal is going to do that??? 

So you know the mental background/state of everyone you associate with?   😏

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

So you know the mental background/state of everyone you associate with?   😏

Yea, pretty much. I'm also a licensed professional counselor (with a masters in clinical mental health). 

6 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Yea, pretty much. I'm also a licensed professional counselor (with a masters in clinical mental health). 

Excellent.  So what process do you go through when you sell them a weapon to ensure they are mentally stable or won’t use your weapon nefariously? 

I’m a classically trained Chef but I can’t tell what you had for dinner by looking at you. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Excellent.  So what process do you go through when you sell them a weapon to ensure they are mentally stable or won’t use your weapon nefariously? 

I’m a classically trained Chef but I can’t tell what you had for dinner by looking at you. 

I don't sell to anyone I don't know. I really don't sell... I've given my father, mother and brother in law gun(s) as gifts. I sold one rifle to a former USMC friend who wanted to do what I do (long range shooting comp). 

What's to say someone you rented a UHAUL to won't use it as a truck bomb?

I haven’t followed this thread closely so apologies if this has been discussed

Just like with driver’s licenses, are we considering possible diminishing mental faculties and dementia with aging gun owners? Seems like quite a few of these ‘responsible gun owners’ that may have assembled a gun collection will someday suffer from dementia.

The person may become agitated and confused and could become a non responsible gun owner.  Or, the person may forget about them and could easily lose track of the weapons.

Has there been discussion about this issue here?

Edited by Bob in Mich

19 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

I haven’t followed this thread closely so apologies if this has been discussed

Just like with driver’s licenses, are we consider diminishing mental faculties and dementia with aging gun owners? Seems like quite a few of these ‘responsible gun owners’ that may have assembled a gun collection will someday suffer from dementia.

The person may become agitated and confused and could become a non responsible gun owner.  Or, the person may forget about them and could easily lose track of the weapons.

Has there been discussion about this issue here?

I get what you're saying but there is one difference.... owning a firearm is a constitutional right. Driving is a privilege. You can own as many cars as you like, you don't have to have a DL or have it registered but you have to keep it on your property. Same with firearms.