Training Camp Trip: Where to eat/drink/stay

I always expected them to break out and become at the least a regional chain, I can't understand what happened, how they actually LOST locations.

What happened is that places like Pizza Hut, and every other national chain selling wings drove the price WAY up. I was surprised that the owner kept the Mt Hope location over Monroe Ave. I guess the overhead was a lot lower on Mt. Hope.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good choices, but as an old ER (as in East Rochester) guy, I've got to mention the Northside Inn, a great Italian place in ER with a legendary pedigree--really good stuff. Other local ER joints to consider are Lemoncello's on East Commercial (run by one old HS classmate whose chef is another old classmate), which serves more modern Italian, and Prince George's or "PG's" which makes up what's left of the old ER bar strip. Back in the day the strip was jumping with locals and college kids alike--quarter drafts on Mondays and ten cent wings drew the campus crowds back then, but de-industrialization has taken its toll on my old hometown, and the kids now drink elsewhere. I still love it because of my history there (my paper route as a kid included the strip), but it's not for everyone. If you're looking for a local bar with some local flavor and a pool table, it's your place. Neighborhood may not be the safest, sadly.

In that regard, for those who don't know the Rochester area, ER is right next door to Pittsford (although light years away in many respects), but does a better job "keeping it real."

Folks above have hit many of the other good spots--Abbott's is a personal favorite (in fact I drove 40 minutes to the one in a Westchester last week). I'm a bit out of the wing wars these days, but can vouch for Country Sweet from way back.

I'm definitely jealous, as I may not make it back home to camp this year due to family travel commitments--enjoy!

Check out Tom Wahl's and The Basin Pub in Pittsford/Busnell's Basin. As well as Abbott's Frozen Custard. Also check out Wegman's. Speaking of which, there is a higher-end restaurant across from the Pittsford store, which is owned by Wegman's, called "Next Door Bar and Grill." Lastly if you want a bit of history, go to Schoen Place and take a trip on the Sam Patch up the Erie Canal and through Lock 32.

I live about 1/2 mile from lock 32. Sam Patch or Colonial Belle both cool canal trips.

I've stayed at the Strathallan several times for business, pretty nice, reasonably priced, huge rooms, good food. The Rochester Dinosaur is my favorite out of the four I have been to (Syr, Harlem, Buff)

Born and raised in Rochester, but moved to the West Coast in 1990. I still go back once or twice a year to visit family. Courtyard by Marriot in Penfield is a great choice. But, and I cannot stress this highly enough: COUNTRY SWEET CHICKEN AND RIBS. They used to have three locations, but they're now down to one, on Mt. Hope Ave in a rather sketchy part of town. But, man are they addictive!. Totally worth the risk of bodily injury, and gastrointestinal discomfort. Sometimes, when I land in Rochester, I stop by for a quick Wing and Mac Snack before I make it to my parents.

The location on Mt. Hope is on a commercial street in a small strip mall. Not really a dangerous area at all. Certainly fewer vagrants than hung around the Monroe location.

Anyway, Sal's Birdland is far better than Country Sweet.

Then its Nicks garbage plate for you at about 2 am. You really dont know what you are getting but there is a lot of it .

I don't think Nick's has been open all night for many years.

Also, the first plate I had was in 1982 (I have a "Rochester Sesquecentennial" commemorative paper "plate"!). What they serve now is unrecognizable from what they originally served. A shame.

Then its Nicks garbage plate for you at about 2 am. You really dont know what you are getting but there is a lot of it .

There is another very cool small restaurant that you will wait outside . ( i wont any more ). Is James Browns . Not that James Brown, But they are the best breakfast brunch anywhere. And the man does stop in to talk to his customers. Has

Oh I'm very familiar with a good number of the plates available. Nick's was my first, and is still a favorite, but alas, they are small for a guy like me. There used to be a place call Big Dawgs that made a Bandit-approved-size plate, but they've gone the way of the Dodo bird unfortunately. Today, Dogtown is my current favorite, as they seem to have both the size and quality I like. I will have to check out the version at Sticky Lips though if it's that large, as I do like their food.

I haven't been to James Browns; I'll have to check it out as both Mrs. Bandit and I are big-time breakfast fans.

memorial art gallery has many more infamous paintings then i would have imagined. Rochester Museum and Science center is awesome for kids. Butterfly gallery looks cool even from the outside !

Geva theater. Eastman School of music has world famous and amazing student productions.

Mrs. Bandit took the boys (they're 17 months now) to Strong a week or so ago...they absolutely loved it. Apparently the mini-Wegmans was a huge hit. One of my best friends went to Eastman so I was there a fair amount in the late 90's.

I always expected them to break out and become at the least a regional chain, I can't understand what happened, how they actually LOST locations.

I enjoyed them on occasion as a change of pace. But they were just too sweet for me most times. I suspect the same may be true for a lot of people.

You used to be able to get their sauce at Wegmans and Tops here. I'd get some for the kids to put on their chicken nuggets back in the day. Not sure if you still can get it there or not.

Oh I'm very familiar with a good number of the plates available. Nick's was my first, and is still a favorite, but alas, they are small for a guy like me. There used to be a place call Big Dawgs that made a Bandit-approved-size plate, but they've gone the way of the Dodo bird unfortunately. Today, Dogtown is my current favorite, as they seem to have both the size and quality I like. I will have to check out the version at Sticky Lips though if it's that large, as I do like their food.

I haven't been to James Browns; I'll have to check it out as both Mrs. Bandit and I are big-time breakfast fans.

Mrs. Bandit took the boys (they're 17 months now) to Strong a week or so ago...they absolutely loved it. Apparently the mini-Wegmans was a huge hit. One of my best friends went to Eastman so I was there a fair amount in the late 90's.

Best breakfast in the City by far. It seems like I'm gone every other weekend in the Summer, but whenever I'm home we go out for breakfast here. I will probably die before 50 because of this.

Also agree that Dogtown has one of, if the not best plate around.

What happened is that places like Pizza Hut, and every other national chain selling wings drove the price WAY up. I was surprised that the owner kept the Mt Hope location over Monroe Ave. I guess the overhead was a lot lower on Mt. Hope.

Plus on Mt Hope you get people from Strong Hospital as well as UofR students.

Best breakfast in the City by far. It seems like I'm gone every other weekend in the Summer, but whenever I'm home we go out for breakfast here. I will probably die before 50 because of this.

Also agree that Dogtown has one of, if the not best plate around.

OK this one pushed me over the edge. I'm trying the plate there! :)

Never been to James Browns, but damn that does look like a good breakfast menu. A bit far for me to go for breakfast, but it also is on my list now :)

I know this thread started for the out of towners, but I'm getting some good info too! :)

Edited by CodeMonkey

no. They are nearly not identical. The price on ribs is more at Dinosaur BBQ. But that's besides the point that Dinosaur isn't good enough to be priced what they are. Sticky Lips is.

But again, your just arguing to argue with me. That's fine. I really don't value your opinion. I just hope the OP does an doesn't dissapoint himself with sub standard Dinosaur BBQ when he could have better priced and better quality food at Sticky Lips.

Look at both menus and get back to me.

I take it you're referring to the 55 cent and $1 difference on the 1/4 and 1/2 racks?

http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/media/documents/2013/3/RochRestMenu_2012July.pdf

http://stickylipsbbq.com/stickylips/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/stickymenufaxweb2014-01-january.pdf

Born and raised in Rochester, but moved to the West Coast in 1990. I still go back once or twice a year to visit family. Courtyard by Marriot in Penfield is a great choice. But, and I cannot stress this highly enough: COUNTRY SWEET CHICKEN AND RIBS. They used to have three locations, but they're now down to one, on Mt. Hope Ave in a rather sketchy part of town. But, man are they addictive!. Totally worth the risk of bodily injury, and gastrointestinal discomfort. Sometimes, when I land in Rochester, I stop by for a quick Wing and Mac Snack before I make it to my parents.

The Mt. Hope neighborhood isn't sketchy at all anymore. I live walking distance from Country Sweet. I've walked there. Many times. Its all college kids and hospital staff now. UofR completely took over the neighborhood. They're building a college town now at the corner of Mt. Hope and Elmwood.

Edited by Jauronimo

The Mt. Hope neighborhood isn't sketchy at all anymore. I live walking distance from Country Sweet. I've walked there. Many times. Its all college kids and hospital staff now. UofR completely took over the neighborhood. They're building a college town now at the corner of Mt. Hope and Elmwood.

Absolutely true.

Look at both menus and get back to me.

yeah. I don't have to. I have been to both.

Besides the point. One place is really good. Another is over rated and not as good. So even if they were exactly the same price. The place that's not as good would be considered over proved compared to the place that is good. Even if they exactly the same.

Again. Thanks for the argument in someone else's post just because you like arguing with me. Your a stand up guy.

Anyway, Sal's Birdland is far better than Country Sweet.

We'r just going to have to agree to disagree-- strongly-- on that one!

Good to know! I'm going to be back on August 10th. Can't wait!

Wonderful Discussion! I'm a local so I'll put my favorites here with some map links:

Thai-----Saks Thai, excellent masaman curry, pad Thai, and must get the curry puffs as an appetizer. About 20 minutes away on Route 31 in a mini-mall. Get a reservation. Go to Chakura before/after for drinks (400 yards before you get to Saks Thai. Pattaya's is also very good food, but it's in an old bank with less atmosphere and the wait staff, while attentive, seem to be waiting for you to leave. Advantage: Not busy, great food, and 5 minutes from camp.

Mexican----Maria's (great, authentic with hit-or-miss service in basement of an old church in Webster) or Itacate(also authentic, less atmosphere but friendly and great tasting) near 4 corners in Penfield

Bar Food---Jeremiahs is about 12 minutes from camp.

Wings---Jeremiahs or Sticky Lips. Dinosaur is also good, right downtown but 15-20 minutes from camp

Italian---Northside is still my favorite but Perlo's (directly across street) and Lemoncello are also Superb. Check menus to make your choice. All are 6 minutes from camp.

Steak---Black and Blue, Pittsford Plaza. Pricey, but you get what you pay for. Less $$ at lunch, just smaller portions. Take East Avenue toward Pittsford and cross at French Road, right on Monroe, and there's Pittsford Plaza. About 7 minutes from camp.

Appetizers and Atmosphere, with Kids---Towpath Cafe Right on the canal in Fairport, eat under a tent outside. Lobster Mac N Cheese, Panini, Coffee. Ice Cream next door. Stay long enough to watch the lift bridge go up. Walk a little of the canal. We go here on Thursday nights (open mike night) or Friday-Saturday night for the music as well. 8 minutes from camp.

Edited by Astrobot

Hicks & McCarthy in downtown Pittsford is pretty good for breakfast as well.

We'r just going to have to agree to disagree-- strongly-- on that one!

Yep. Been to both. CS is better IMHO. But I can only eat that type of stuff in small doses.

Wonderful Discussion! I'm a local so I'll put my favorites here with some map links:

Thai-----Saks Thai, excellent masaman curry, pad Thai, and must get the curry puffs as an appetizer. About 20 minutes away on Route 31 in a mini-mall. Get a reservation. Go to Chakara before/after for drinks (400 yards before you get to Saks Thai. Pattaya's is also very good food, but it's in an old bank with less atmosphere and the wait staff, while attentive, seem to be waiting for you to leave. Advantage: Not busy, great food, and 5 minutes from camp.

Agreed. Saks is without a doubt the best thai food in the area. Spent a little time in Bangkok and I'd say Saks is the real deal. Try the som tum or larb next time you go.