What does Cyrus Kouandjio add to the Bills offense?

You beat me to it!!! I was thinking the same things about 1&3... Looked like holding all day long...

The slap move, I don't think is illegal, unless it's to the head- but I don't care how heavy your hands are- 99% of the time, you aren't going to slap an NFL DE to the ground with one swing of your arm

Holding away from the play is seldom called in the NFL.....regardless I think Marrone will get on him about that

You cant have the positive of "plays through the whistle" and then complain about "he holds too long on the play".....sometimes these things are one and the same.

Holding away from the play is seldom called in the NFL.....regardless I think Marrone will get on him about that

You cant have the positive of "plays through the whistle" and then complain about "he holds too long on the play".....sometimes these things are one and the same.

I agree that Marrone will coach him through that, but I think "plays through the whistle" is a trait only useful in college to gain exposure for the NFL. I think the reason it's not useful in the NFL is it will get called - hence the reason it doesn't get called, is because it isn't done.

i'm a little worried that i haven't heard much coming from the coaching staff talking him up - usually, in this overly positive time of year, we hear things like 'i wouldn't be surprised if he starts week 1,'' or 'he's got some of the best X i've ever seen' (like we did with cordy in 2012) - but not a peep about cyrus all OTAs/camp. i really liked the pick at the time, but i'm starting to wonder if he'll be read for week 1.

i'm a little worried that i haven't heard much coming from the coaching staff talking him up - usually, in this overly positive time of year, we hear things like 'i wouldn't be surprised if he starts week 1,'' or 'he's got some of the best X i've ever seen' (like we did with cordy in 2012) - but not a peep about cyrus all OTAs/camp. i really liked the pick at the time, but i'm starting to wonder if he'll be read for week 1.

Other than what I hear from Joe B. On Wgr, most reporters are sticking to EJ and Watkins

I'm with you. On the other hand, a lot has been said about how well Hughes was performing going against OT's not named glenn. I think kujo is a mauler but he isn't strong enough or good enough technique-wise yet, but we'll see how he progresses through camp.

This stuff will happen when the pads get put on.

Fair enough :thumbsup:

I miss the kid already.

When they had the micd up thing during season for players i laughed out loud . He would let out a little growl after the tackle . and that goofy smile when he was on the sidelines. and his pursuit of the ball . thats my favorite bit .

Loved all of that. I also loved when he said to Alex Smith, "Almost." and you could here Smith say "Almost."

Also loved his, "This is the worst song ever.", comment.

No-contact drills are no-fun for the OL. TC will be a better barometer for all of them.

Isn't X on the NFLs list of banned substances?? I highly doubt they would publicize someone having high quality X... Lol

I'm not down on Cyrus and I like the pick but I did want to comment on the 3 videos provided in the link. I'm not so sure each one of those aren't penalties in the NFL.

In the first video Cyrus shows excellent burst and pushes the defensive player back nicely - but after that initial hit the player attempts to get around him and is being held as you see the left shoulder pad fly up in the air, he then continues to hold the remainder of the play. This defensive player was not going to make the tackle and Cyrus better learn to know when to let go so that holding isn't called so far away from the play.

In the second video it's quite obvious he slaps the defensive player in the back to push him down. That's a penalty all day. I'm not sure if this is a signature move of his but if he can get in front of the defender and slap him on the side of his upper body ala Reggie White, it would be one awesome move. I've always wondered why more people don't use the "Reggie move" and I wasn't even thinking offensive lineman using it. Kind of like why don't people learn they sky hook like Kareem mastered?

The 3rd video is similar to what I was saying in the first but Cyrus IMO does a much better job of engaging and driving back (almost 5 yards), but at the end he should let go, especially when the job is done.

You beat me to it!!! I was thinking the same things about 1&3... Looked like holding all day long...

The slap move, I don't think is illegal, unless it's to the head- but I don't care how heavy your hands are- 99% of the time, you aren't going to slap an NFL DE to the ground with one swing of your arm

So Kouandjio would have been a perfect pick for the Patriots. Because they never hold.

What does he add to the offense? Hopefully a lock down right tackle for the next ten years :D

I'm hoping that OG Cyril Richardson, and Seantrel Henderson make the team, and eventually also find spots on that line.

That would be ideal, if not great.

The man with the hair is the one who kept talking about the bad knees ... the risky investment ... Kiper somehow again ignored two healthy seasons plus medical examinations to declare that Kouamdjio's knees will fall apart.

He appears to be man driven to succeed but he is a rookie so for the first part of this season I don't expect much but down the road this kid can be a monster.

http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2014/04/01/mel-kiper-cyrus-kouandjio-riskiest-lineman-in-draft

Alot of folks have already let E Pears go . I dont think "brown " Bills should be talking up this kid yet . And we still have Hairstorm who was quite adequate when playing i thought.

I think it will be a real battle and i sure hope we have quality depth on the O line when this shakes out . Kujo doesn't need to start to be great pickup . Nor does Richardson . But if they are servicable or better thsi year than thats okay by me. If they are good enough to start ? Even better. Then we have PROVEN depth in Pears Urbik and C Williams.

Seantrel showing something would just be gravy. I think Bills might want to keep him on the down low if he really can get focused .

The O line now looks as deep as i can recall . I hope they will be equally as good .

He looks very promising, but we won't know until the pads go on. Contrary to the media hype the SEC has it's share of crap teams that can make a player look like a super star. Big step up to the NFL.

In just one post we went from 1st and ten to 3rd and 12.

I hope the Bills are better than that this year !

HA !

Edited by 3rdand12

Alot of folks have already let E Pears go . I dont Bills should be talking up this kid yet . And we still have Hairstorm who was quite adequate when playing i thought.

I think it will be real battle and i sure hope we have quality depth on the O line when this shakes out . Kujo doesn't need to start to be great pickup . Nor does Richardson . But if they are servicable or better thsi year than thats okay by me. If they are good enough to start ? Even better. Then we have PROVEN depth in Pears Urbik and C Williams.

Seantrel showing something would just be gravy. I think Bills might want to keep him on the down low if he really can get focused .

The O line now looks as deep as i can recall . I hope they will be equally as good .

In just one post we went from 1st and ten to 3rd and 12.

I hope the Bills are better than that this year !

HA !

You speak of quality depth in three players if Richardson and Kujo payoff... One of those three will still be required to start, if I'm not mistaken...

Glenn ______ Wood Richardson Kujo

Maybe I am wrong- that beer thread on OTW got me drinking early!!

You speak of quality depth in three players if Richardson and Kujo payoff... One of those three will still be required to start, if I'm not mistaken...

Glenn ______ Wood Richardson Kujo

Maybe I am wrong- that beer thread on OTW got me drinking early!!

Glenn Williams woods urbik Pears .

I assume are the starters for discussion sake .

I would expect Kujo to vie for starter against Pears , and Richardson to give both Williams and Urbik a bit of competition this year. Henderson is an unknown , but i am hopefull.

And we have Hairston healthy . Thats what i mean about depth i guess . Theres a few more like Asper and Unga but the ones i have listed i consider likely to remain on the team this year.

Pears may have to work a contract though and may well be a reserve also.

ps i just cracked a beer to get us on the same page :thumbsup:

Edited by 3rdand12

Glenn Williams woods urbik Pears .

I assume are the starters for discussion sake .

I would expect Kujo to vie for starter against Pears , and Richardson to give both Williams and Urbik a bit of competition this year. Henderson is an unknown , but i am hopefull.

And we have Hairston healthy . Thats what i mean about depth i guess . Theres a few more like Asper and Unga but the ones i have listed i consider likely to remain on the team this year.

Pears may have to work a contract though and may well be a reserve also.

ps i just cracked a beer to get us on the same page :thumbsup:

I'm sorry- I'm certainly not the rainman of the Bills... I actually quite slow at times... And don't read all that well- apparently...

Enjoy the beer!

I'm sorry- I'm certainly not the rainman of the Bills... I actually quite slow at times... And don't read all that well- apparently...

Enjoy the beer!

I will !

I think we are eye to eye brother .

But i can count matchsticks dropped on the floor like nobodies business . and other useless stuff :lol:

Edited by 3rdand12

Not going to lie. IU hated the pick at the time.I don't think he's quick enough. I see Chadler Jones, Cameron Wake and Muhammed Wilkerson dominating him. They will be to athletic for him. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this guy makes Mike Williams look highly athletics. Williams did 29 reps of 225 to Koundjioa's 21. Mike Williams was 5.3 in the forty and Kounandjyio was 5.6 I hope he truns out to be a good player, but when you're not as athletic As Mike Willimas it's not a good sign.

Edited by MrLocke

Not going to lie. IU hated the pick at the time.I don't think he's quick enough. I see Chadler Jones, Cameron Wake and Muhammed Wilkerson dominating him. They will be to athletic for him. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this guy makes Mike Williams look highly athletics. Williams did 29 reps of 225 to Koundjioa's 21. Mike Williams was 5.3 in the forty and Kounandjyio was 5.6 I hope he truns out to be a good player, but when you're not as athletic As Mike Willimas it's not a good sign.

Combine crap does not matter on the field. It just doesn't. I don't know nor does anyone how he will play once he gets out there but he could be DJ Fluker 2.0 and that would be outstanding. Fluker struggles in the pass game but his run blocking is something that helped the Chargers offense get to the next level. Edited by YoloinOhio

Combine crap does not matter on the field. It just doesn't. I don't know nor does anyone how he will play once he gets out there but he could be DJ Fluker 2.0 and that would be outstanding. Fluker struggles in the pass game but his run blocking is something that helped the Chargers offense get to the next level.

Completely agree about the combine stuff. The top players know they are only there for a media show. Others that have question marks/later rounders are what the combine is for.

I don't see people scared that the sabres 1st rounder did 1 pull up at the NHL combine.