T A&M Threatens lawsuit against Bills fan website

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By extension, shouldn't they also be suing the Bills for putting up the 12th Man on the Wall of Fame? I'd like to see them try that one and see if the trademark holds up.

I live in Houston and many MANY of the A&M folks I've met are honestly mouthbreathers; so this comes as no surprise. I better be careful though, they may have trademarked "Mouthbreather"

Also, how would this hold up in court if there is no financial or commercial harm coming to A&M.... and if The 12th Man can be trademarked, why can't Quarterback, pigskin, gridiron, etc all be trademarked.

I live in Houston and many MANY of the A&M folks I've met are honestly mouthbreathers; so this comes as no surprise. I better be careful though, they may have trademarked "Mouthbreather"

Also, how would this hold up in court if there is no financial or commercial harm coming to A&M.... and if The 12th Man can be trademarked, why can't Quarterback, pigskin, gridiron, etc all be trademarked.

They probably are. Hell, redskins was trademarks. I should see about getting my TM for Pollock.

Don't blame A&M, blame the asinine trademark laws that allow "The 12th Man", or "Threepeat" or a host of other such nonsense to be trademarked. But since A&M has the trademark, they have to pursue cases like this to keep it. That's how it works.

But that aside, any sympathy for this guy goes out the window when he starts using his handicap as a reason why A&M shouldn't enforce it's rights. I thought people with handicaps wanted to be treated just like everyone else? I'm not buying that he could create this whole site yet now suddenly it's an unmanageable burden to change it.

Edited by KD in CT

Unfortunately, Texas A&M has to defend their trademark or they risk losing it. Not that it should even be a trademark anymore, since it's become a genercized football term. No one outside of Texas could even tell you the 12th man was even an A&M thing.

Don't blame A&M, blame the asinine trademark laws that allow "The 12th Man", or "Threepeat" or a host of other such nonsense to be trademarked. But since A&M has the trademark, they have to pursue cases like this to keep it. That's how it works.

But that aside, any sympathy for this guy goes out the window when he starts using his handicap as a reason why A&M shouldn't enforce it's rights. I thought people with handicaps wanted to be treated just like everyone else? I'm not buying that he could create this whole site yet now suddenly it's an unmanageable burden to change it.

If this guy had enough money for an extended suit he could attack the trademark itself saying it has become a common football term. That's how words like zipper and aspirin lost their trademarks.

It sounds like this guy is in no shape to fight A&M in a court, however.

Buncha Texas cornpones...

This kid better comply. Defending a lawsuit will cost him an arm and a leg.

(God help me..)

There's a special place in hell for people like you filled with pedophiles and people that talk during movies.

I did get a chuckle though.

You want to trademark a fish?

It's POLOCK. Get the slur right, ffs.

On my phone. Auto corrected but fitting in a sense.

In no way is his use of the 12th man impacting A&M's bottom line. It's not as if UT is using the "12th Man" as the name of a new section of seats or a restaurant in their stadium...

And further to your remark about protect it or lose it; if A&M really wanted to, they could grant him rights for a nominal fee seeing as how this particular Bills fan is using the 12th man in a way which would not cause any financial loss to A&M

In no way is his use of the 12th man impacting A&M's bottom line. It's not as if UT is using the "12th Man" as the name of a new section of seats or a restaurant in their stadium...

And further to your remark about protect it or lose it; if A&M really wanted to, they could grant him rights for a nominal fee seeing as how this particular Bills fan is using the 12th man in a way which would not cause any financial loss to A&M

Not sure what you mean by "impacting their bottom line". If they don't protect their trademark, they could eventually lose it. And while I don't have access to A&M's financials and business plans, I would think that losing their trademark would have some financial impact.

Few organizations hand out rights to use their trademark (in exchange for nothing) to random people. Kinda makes having a trademark meaningless.

By extension, shouldn't they also be suing the Bills for putting up the 12th Man on the Wall of Fame? I'd like to see them try that one and see if the trademark holds up.

Doesnt the Seattle Seahwks have the 12th man too?

From the article....

Hinckley said Texas A&M, which has owned the trademark since 1922, only allows the Bills and Seattle Seahawks to pay licensing fees to use the phrase "the 12th man," and under very specific conditions.

Buncha Texas cornpones...

This kid better comply. Defending a lawsuit will cost him an arm and a leg.

(God help me..)

Really? When you come to a Bills game I'll introduce you to Chuck. Everyone knows him and you should too.