Pegula hires premiere sports broker for Bills deal

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find intriguing (confounding) about the franchise sale is how is it going to be auctioned? Is it a one bid auction with the winner being the highest bidder? Can a bidder increase his/her bid after the first bid? Does the seller "board" review all the bids and then make their selection, regardless if it is the highest bid or not? Can the seller go to a (preferable) lower bidder and suggest a higher bid in order to win the auction?

What's remarkable about the process is that the Wilson estate has decided to have a private process with stipulations that guarantee the privacy of the process. Any group that attempts to publicly disclose the franchise's financial records will be sabotaging their efforts. That is why a Trump bidding group has (in my view) little chance to be a serious candidate in this franchise sale. You can't have a private and dignified process when an obnoxious self-promoting person such as Trump is involved.

As many others have stated Pegula seems to fit the profile of the type of person Ralph Wilson would want to pass the mantel of ownership to. There are no guarantees but things seem to be leaning toward a Pegula owned franchise. I would be ecstatic if that would come to fruition.

I would be ecstatic if that would come to fruition.

Yup.

He is hell bent on making the Sabres a world class organization with a run like Detroit has had over the past 20-25 years. His mistake was not clearing out R&R right off the bat, but every single thing he/they have done otherwise indicates he is serious in his desire and puts his money where his mouth is. With the Harbor Center, hopefully getting the NHL combine, cozying up to USA Hockey, building up from the ground-up with Canisius, Elmira, Rochester, and Buffalo, the whole picture looks really solid for the future. Seeing someone other than Regier operate through FA is refreshing. Nice to see a guy like Gionta put on a Sabres jersey and also Gorges waiving to come to Buffalo while claiming he wouldnt go elsewhere.

Anyways, off on a tangent. Translate that with the possibilities of an NFL team and the Bills...

What I find intriguing (confounding) about the franchise sale is how is it going to be auctioned? Is it a one bid auction with the winner being the highest bidder? Can a bidder increase his/her bid after the first bid? Does the seller "board" review all the bids and then make their selection, regardless if it is the highest bid or not? Can the seller go to a (preferable) lower bidder and suggest a higher bid in order to win the auction?

What's remarkable about the process is that the Wilson estate has decided to have a private process with stipulations that guarantee the privacy of the process. Any group that attempts to publicly disclose the franchise's financial records will be sabotaging their efforts. That is why a Trump bidding group has (in my view) little chance to be a serious candidate in this franchise sale. You can't have a private and dignified process when an obnoxious self-promoting person such as Trump is involved.

As many others have stated Pegula seems to fit the profile of the type of person Ralph Wilson would want to pass the mantel of ownership to. There are no guarantees but things seem to be leaning toward a Pegula owned franchise. I would be ecstatic if that would come to fruition.

All the more reason Pegula hires a pro like Greenberg. Someone who's been around the block enough times to know how things get done.

All the more reason Pegula hires a pro like Greenberg. Someone who's been around the block enough times to know how things get done.

Greenberg only gets paid for his services if his client is successful in obtaining the team. Given this fact, Greenberg chosing to work with the Pegulas speaks volumes.

As far as the Sabres go, I am sure that Pegula himself would mention that he made a mistake by not replacing Darcy shortly after his purchase. That being said Darcy did set up the Sabres for future success with some of his deals.

I do find the timing of this news interesting. After learning Kiko was out for the season and a dark cloud covered all of Bills Nation, it was like the Pegulas said " Don't worry Bills Fans, everything is going to be alright.."

Greenberg only gets paid for his services if his client is successful in obtaining the team. Given this fact, Greenberg chosing to work with the Pegulas speaks volumes.

As far as the Sabres go, I am sure that Pegula himself would mention that he made a mistake by not replacing Darcy shortly after his purchase. That being said Darcy did set up the Sabres for future success with some of his deals.

I do find the timing of this news interesting. After learning Kiko was out for the season and a dark cloud covered all of Bills Nation, it was like the Pegulas said " Don't worry Bills Fans, everything is going to be alright.."

Greenberg's late night TV ad: "If you don't get the NFL franchise you want, you don't pay a dime!"

well duh!

everyone knows catholics make the best lawyers!!

Thought he was Jewish

C'mon. Can you give a guy some time to finish? He's doing what you have do in the NHL to win...tear down and rebuild. Just about every expert says the Sabres have the deepest farm system of any team.

yes but he should have started the rebuild when he got here not hang on to Darcy and Lindy to the point where it was obvious they needed to go.

Hopefully he will make changes quicker with the Bills if we don't improve quickly. I Do like what Whaley did this offseason and it is clear that Nix did nothing to make us a better, so hopefully Whaley can stick around.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I can see the headline now: Pagula buys the Bills, changes the name to the Buffalo Frackers!!! (you need to think about that comment a minute, its funny :D )

I can only imagine what his take was for East Resources 4 years ago. Had to be many many billions. Guy started it in '83 and fell into natural gas extraction after 20 years. Man this is where the phrase "I'd rather be lucky than good" comes from. Good for him. Now buy the Bills build a fracking stadium in Niagara County with "enhanced tailgating" features and be done with it.

no problemo

The League codified this approach in an amendment to its Constitution and Bylaws that allows cross-ownership in another major league sports team in two narrow circumstances: (1) if the two franchises are in the same city, or (2) if the other league’s franchise is in a neutral market, defined as one that doesn’t currently host an NFL team and is not deemed a potential NFL city.

http://www.theofficialreview.com/nfl-cross-ownership-rules/

So if the NFL considers Toronto a "potential NFL city," Larry Tanenbaum will have to eventually divest his 25% minority ownership interest in the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs? Wouldn't surprise me if he has put options that allow him to sell that 25% stake to the two 37.5% owners of the Leafs whenever he wants, but I wonder if he's prepared to divest his interest in the Leafs in order to complete a purchase of the Bills (assuming he can get over the other hurdles to being the winning bidder)?

I suppose the answer is yes, or he wouldn't be part of a bidding group. Either that, or the NFL has advised him that they would make an exception for him.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

I think there is already a thread on this, but the Trust will select from the initial bids those it wishes a second bid from.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/nfl/whats-next-in-bills-sale-process/

I think there is already a thread on this, but the Trust will select from the initial bids those it wishes a second bid from.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/krykslants/nfl/whats-next-in-bills-sale-process/

Thanks for that link; it confirms something I've suspected but for which there was no previous confirmation -- namely, the Wilson Trust doesn't have to select the highest bidder. They can be completely biased. That's great news.

Thought he was Jewish

yes but he should have started the rebuild when he got here not hang on to Darcy and Lindy to the point where it was obvious they needed to go.

Hopefully he will make changes quicker with the Bills if we don't improve quickly. I Do like what Whaley did this offseason and it is clear that Nix did nothing to make us a better, so hopefully Whaley can stick around.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nix did nothing to make us better? He built most of what we have from the ground up. Whaley is going to end up getting most of the credit when it turns around, but Nix did all the thankless grunt, heavy lifting part of the work...

So if the trust prefers a certain bidder, and that bidder offers a satisfactory price at the get-go, it can end the process without notice — and choose that bidder.

Get er dun, Terry!

Thanks for that link; it confirms something I've suspected but for which there was no previous confirmation -- namely, the Wilson Trust doesn't have to select the highest bidder. They can be completely biased. That's great news.

Uggg. More speculation being treated as fact because it sounds good.

The Bills are not a publicly held entity, this is of course true. But the trustees are still bound by Michigan state law as well as any terms spelled out in the trust itself (I'm speculating, of course, that there might be some).

And this ...

"So if the trust prefers a certain bidder, and that bidder offers a satisfactory price at the get-go, it can end the process without notice — and choose that bidder."

he can't possibly know for a fact.

The sale can't get over with soon enough for me.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Uggg. More speculation being treated as fact because it sounds good.

The Bills are not a publicly held entity, this is of course true. But the trustees are still bound by Michigan state law as well as any terms spelled out in the trust itself (I'm speculating, of course, that there might be some).

And this ...

"So if the trust prefers a certain bidder, and that bidder offers a satisfactory price at the get-go, it can end the process without notice — and choose that bidder."

he can't possibly know for a fact.

The sale can't get over with soon enough for me.

Ok I am a natural born pessimist, but I just feel Pegula is going to run away with this one.

He has a lot of money at the ready (at least that has been said in the press).

I don't think he'd ever move the team. He's pouring his own money into downtown.

He's hired a guy who has worked the process of BOTH buying and selling sports franchises.

I agree the process can't go fast enough. I hope we find out before the season starts.

He's hired a guy who has worked the process of BOTH buying and selling sports franchises..

I thought he had only worked with sellers before. This would make the hiring make a lot more sense.

As to the rest of your post, it could well turn out that way (and I hope it does). But this treating someones speculation as fact makes me crazy (admittedly a short trip).

Edited by CodeMonkey