Freddy on Sirius 6/30

Heitz

Loose transcript of his interview - good stuff, you GOTTA love Freddy!

How is the O shaping up:

- We added dynamic weapons - brought in a couple good RBs, Sammy (who lit it up in college), Woods, Goodwin. We have speed. Want to put up a lot of points this year.

Where does EJ have to get better, what did you learn about him last year:

- Last year we learned that EJ is the guy, great teammate, works hard. He's athletic, has the tools, just needs to know the playbook and reads and hit the right guys. He's been working on further learning the playbook in the offseason. Just needs to continue to work in TC to put it all together.

What is EJ like on a day to day basis:

- What you expect from a QB. First guy in, last guy out. Works with coaches, breaks down film, takes it home to study. Tremendous teammate. Doesn't want to the reason that the team doesn't get to where they want to be. He has the tools and traits, just needs to get better at knowing the game - he has the drive to do so.

You've been there 8 years trying to find a QB. But last year was crazy with all the QBs. How challenging was that for the O?

- Was tough to get the consistency that you need at the QB spot. But in the RB room, we want to take the pressure off those guys. Want to be the best RBs in the game and have the best attached in the league. It was tough without that one franchise guy all year. Hopes EJ learned and stays healthy.

RB by committee, you're great at that. How did you embrace it?

- Blessed to have great teammates (Willis, Marshawn, CJ), guys are not selfish and just want to win gams. when that's your goal you'll do whatever it takes. With RB by committee you stay fresh, don't get beat up, it extends careers. As long as guys want to believe that they want to win games at any cost, then you do whatever it takes.

You're an old RB, hows the body for 8th season at 33:

- Excellent. no complaints. Took some shots last year that beat me up, but feel best I have in a long time. The Bills have to do big things this year and looking forward to being a part of that. Wants to be a big part of the reason we turn this thing around and get us into the playoffs.

Marshawn Lynch, take us back on the early days of his career:

- We would have contest within the game - who can break the most tackles, or get the most stiff arms. We competed. he was willing to put the team on his back. After that he became Beast Mode - that punishing type RB. His mentality was they're going to hit me, so I'm going to hit them so they feel as bad as I do the next day. Freddy always watches Marshawn's game, he's like a brother.

How does the fraternity of runners take the criticism that running backs don't matter as much in this "QB driven league?

- You have to have a guy you can hand the ball to 25 times in our weather. Sometime passing game doesn't work and you need the RB to lean on. Notion that RB isn't important is nonsense, and we take it as a slap in the face, but we'll keep doing our thing.

New ownership for the Bills and long term viability in Buffalo:

- You try no to get too involved, but you pay attention. I've been here for so long you hope and pray nothing happens to this team. It would be bad for the area and fans. Me, Jim, Thurman, guys that have been here for a while, we want the team in buffalo. When I retire I want to walk back it the stadium and say this is where i played. It means a ton to the community, fans and the players. We have to do our part and win some championships!

Do you think about life after football yet?

- I'm all about football, I feel like i Have 3 - 4 more years in me. Just need to keep going out and showing and proving. That's my job. Play with the best and keep doing it at a high level. Lets hope I do and get an extension with Buffalo.

Love Freddy. Really hope he's a big part of the team turning things around.

i will second this. he is a great guy and a great buffalo bill. professional and all class. i really hope he can stay healthy and productive for a couple more years because i would love to see him on a bills team that is not only playoff bound but one that is poised to make some noise in the offseason.

Sounds like even a dumbed down offense was a struggle for EJ. Hope a full offseason gets him better mentally prepared this year. Sounds like from OTAs they are giving him the full playbook.

That's what you got from this?

Where does EJ have to get better, what did you learn about him last year:

- Last year we learned that EJ is the guy, great teammate, works hard. He's athletic, has the tools, just needs to know the playbook and reads and hit the right guys. He's been working on further learning the playbook in the offseason. Just needs to continue to work in TC to put it all together.

What is EJ like on a day to day basis:

- What you expect from a QB. First guy in, last guy out. Works with coaches, breaks down film, takes it home to study. Tremendous teammate. Doesn't want to the reason that the team doesn't get to where they want to be. He has the tools and traits, just needs to get better at knowing the game - he has the drive to do so.

You've been there 8 years trying to find a QB. But last year was crazy with all the QBs. How challenging was that for the O?

- Was tough to get the consistency that you need at the QB spot. But in the RB room, we want to take the pressure off those guys. Want to be the best RBs in the game and have the best attached in the league. It was tough without that one franchise guy all year. Hopes EJ learned and stays hea

That's what you got from this?

Yes, yes it is. I thought it was obvious, but maybe not.

Sounds like even a dumbed down offense was a struggle for EJ. Hope a full offseason gets him better mentally prepared this year. Sounds like from OTAs they are giving him the full playbook.

Yes, yes it is. I thought it was obvious, but maybe not.

That's not really what I got from the interview - he never implied that EJ struggled, or wasn't mentally prepared. Keep in mind this was just me recapping, it's not word for word.

He never said that EJ didn't know the playbook, reads or hit the right guys, just those are the things he needs to do to be a franchise guy. "Further knowing the playbook", was about going deeper into it this year - EJs been studying and is ready to really get into the full playbook with all options, calls, etc. He even said that EJ has done a good job of learning the playbook this year.

The "better at knowing the game" quote (not sure that was Freddy's exact words), was more about EJ having more experience and knowing what to expect in games now that its year two.

The last one was what everyone has talked about, even EJ, learning to get out of bounds. Had nothing to do with the playbook.

Regardless, you can't help but get fired up listening to Freddy. Buffalo Bill at heart - he'd win every game alone, if he could...

i didnt walk away thinking EJ was a disaster with the playbook - but it seemed clear that it was a limiting issue last year, which mirrors what we heard during the season with it getting scaled back.

that said, missing a lot of camp and practice during the season with injuries should make that no surprise.

They should have asked him who he is taking under his wing now that Stevie is gone..... Bryce?

I think we have at leadt four excellent leaders now in EJ (even though he has not shown by example in a game yeat) Freddy (of course) Eric And Kyle....

I like to see another on D......

Spikes?

Could it be?