Olbermann Bills/Soccer insult

Idiots are available in both models liberal and right wingers these days . It's a fact . Give the people what they want

The biggest idiots are the ones who can't understand that; as this conveniently ignored by the 'no political insults on the main board' mods thread indicates.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His show on MSNBC had a liberal bent. And whoever said no one watched him is incorrect. He was the most watched show on the channel. His downfall is being a diva to work with.

His ratings were sliding significantly before he left. Being the best on MSNBC is like being the best team in the CHL. No one cares.

His ratings were sliding significantly before he left. Being the best on MSNBC is like being the best team in the CHL. No one cares.

yep tallest midget

Sorry but i am on the soccer band wagon. It is very exciting. I love football but would love to see the US win a World Cup in the next 20 years.

Probably one of the lesser stupid things he has said. I would have actually chuckled at that had it been someone else telling it. So painful to watch him. He always looks like he is forcing himself not to laugh or trying to prevent himself making a huge random outburst.

and a little off topic, I cannot understand how soccer is so popular. A sport where you barely use your hands doesnt seem like much of sport.

but the best thing about soccer:They are really good at not having so many freakin commercials. Huge problem I have with football is they somehow squeeze more and more commericals in a game each year. Really ridiculous, If there is any reason to pay to go to a game live, it is to avoid the commercials.

I went to a game once with a guy from Europe... he could not get over the 'tv' time-outs where they stand around on the field, not talking to coaches, for several minutes. that is pretty ridiculous, too.

The commercials do suck. I can see why they pile them on - it's the only thing that most of us don't fast forward through the commercials these days.

BTW, how do the networks make money on soccer without the commercials?

The commercials do suck. I can see why they pile them on - it's the only thing that most of us don't fast forward through the commercials these days.

BTW, how do the networks make money on soccer without the commercials?

In most countries in Europe there is a 'tv tax' which each household pays based on the number of tvs they have (i think) and the government doles this money out to the various Free TV networks based on ratings.

In most countries in Europe there is a 'tv tax' which each household pays based on the number of tvs they have (i think) and the government doles this money out to the various Free TV networks based on ratings.

Thanks. How does ESPN make money on it?

Did Sal have this right on GR just now. Germany was up 1-0 after one overtime, but they still go to a 2nd overtime?

Why?

It's called silver goal. Basically once you reach overtime there will be 2 15 minute halves no matter how many goals get scored in that time.

No, this is a tournament, not regular season. You win one out of 3 games and you advance to the sweet 16? It's a joke.

Single elimination and they could wrap this snoozefest in a total of 2 weeks.

This would be great if it weren't so wrong. I know you are going with your patented snarky fake ignorance but it's a round robin not a straight up tournament. Not unlike the Olympics where you can finish 2nd in the prelims, advance to the finals and win gold. I get it, you don't like soccer but c'mon it's not hard to understand.

This would be great if it weren't so wrong. I know you are going with your patented snarky fake ignorance but it's a round robin not a straight up tournament. Not unlike the Olympics where you can finish 2nd in the prelims, advance to the finals and win gold. I get it, you don't like soccer but c'mon it's not hard to understand.

Actually, I was responding to a previous poster, who compared it to regular season NFL football. I know you probably understood that as you tripped over yourself in your excitement to post this stinging response.

Also, in keeping with my pro-domestic sports (and anti-soccer as a spectator sport) bent, I think the round robin format is a joke--especially if it counts/allows ties.

Don't even get me started on games decided by penalty kicks. Like NBA games decided by free throws.

These are my opinions, shared by many here, it seems, so...what's it to you? The good news for you (and me) is that your soccer fan righteous indignation at all of us ignoramuses can very soon be holstered for another 4 years..

Thanks. How does ESPN make money on it?

I doubt they make any money on live games. Doubt they care either. They rebroadcast these games endlessly as all night highlight (such as they are) shows chock full of commercials. Also, i'm guessing the billion print adds all over the field and plastered on a plexiglass wall behind every on field interview are sold by the networks.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Close but not quite. Most European countries have some form of national public service broadcaster based on our dear old BBC here in Britain. You pay your TV license (I think in the UK one license covers up to 4 TVs in the house) and that funds the BBC - it does not go to other free to air channels and again that is pretty much a uniform pan-European approach that the TV license covers the public service broadcaster only. The BBC has zero commercials on their channels (not just during sport but no commercials period).

The other main sports broadcasting free to air broadcaster in the UK (ITV) sell their ads during the World Cup for premium price and the World Cup is protected by law for free to air TV (so they don't have to bid huge amounts against Pay TV services for the broadcast rights). Therefore even after ITV have paid for the broadcast rights the World Cup commercials before games, after games and druing half time more than make up for the cost.

The Premier League here is not available on free to air TV... it is shown exclusively by two subscription channels and they make their money on a mixture of advertising revenues and subscriptions (and that is true across most of Europe in respect of their domestice leagues). When a subscriptions broadcaster loses live soccer their subscriptions fall through the floor. You have to remember the NFL has 16 regular season games per team and then 4 weeks of play-offs. The Premier League is a 38 game season.... so lots more games to advertise before, after and during half time of.