Most overrated current Bill?

Here's one no one has mentioned but I think is in the discussion:

Brandon spikes

Good player and seemingly a perfect fit for schwartzs defense but I think a lot of folks are only looking at the "pro" column and ignoring the "cons" now that he's our guy.

well .Hell yes we are

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well .Hell yes we are

No shame in being a fan but it would probably be the definition of overrating a guy. Interested to see what the reaction will be. I think he's a good candidate here- again not saying he's a terrible player just that he's rated higher than I'd put him objectively if forced to single a guy out.

Unlike Gilmore or CJ who I think people like based on potential, we more or less know what spikes will be - good and bad.

I'm sticking with Chris Hogan... I get sick of hearing all the chatter about this guy... They make him sound like the next Andre- but the stinking guy isn't even a lock to make the 53

hes like an inside joke. Nobody really thinks this guy matters. They secretly want him to tho.

But most real people treat him like a joke like Hamden or Sanborn.

I kinda think CJ. National media is always yapping how we need to get him "20+ touches per game" kind of thing, because "when healthy" his YPC is "X". Problem is he's simply not healthy enough to be counted on. Unfortunately the concerns about being undersized have been more or less validated to this point in his career. Of course I hope the trend reverses and he stays healthy all year, because in this offense his production will be unlimited.

Hence why they picked up two more backs this off season. They are prepping not to give CJ a huge payday, and Fred can only last so long. It's funny how they picked up a banger up the middle in Dixon, and CJ like player who can be explosive with Brown.

No shame in being a fan but it would probably be the definition of overrating a guy. Interested to see what the reaction will be. I think he's a good candidate here- again not saying he's a terrible player just that he's rated higher than I'd put him objectively if forced to single a guy out.

Unlike Gilmore or CJ who I think people like based on potential, we more or less know what spikes will be - good and bad.

NS you are well versed in these matters and i defer to your opinion. But i thought Spikes was rated by multiple sources as the one of the best LBs against the run ?

Ihave payed attention to OTAs and mini camp and the chatter he is the first to recognize the play and quick to ball .

His physical limitations (pass coverage I assume we are discussing ) might be over ridden by his football IQ and his tenacity (? ) Lol ) .

I do have high expectations so he certainly is a candidate for me to be over rating him . I can see that.

I take the fan boy attitude here on TBD , but have no fear i am very critical when watching games .

In regard to Lee Smith , he is the only TE on the team who can block . I dont see how he can be overated since almost everyone calls for his cut this time of year : )

NS you are well versed in these matters and i defer to your opinion. But i thought Spikes was rated by multiple sources as the one of the best LBs against the run ?

Ihave payed attention to OTAs and mini camp and the chatter he is the first to recognize the play and quick to ball .

His physical limitations (pass coverage I assume we are discussing ) might be over ridden by his football IQ and his tenacity (? ) Lol ) .

I do have high expectations so he certainly is a candidate for me to be over rating him . I can see that.

I take the fan boy attitude here on TBD , but have no fear i am very critical when watching games .

In regard to Lee Smith , he is the only TE on the team who can block . I dont see how he can be overated since almost everyone calls for his cut this time of year : )

He is good against the run but he comes with weaknesses against the pass or in space in general. Downhill between the tackles and he's a champ but that's only a segment of the game. It'll be most of what he's asked to do though.

Like I said - no shame in being a fan. I drink the kool aid too.

Edited by NoSaint

He is good against the run but he comes with weaknesses against the pass or in space in general. Downhill between the tackles and he's a champ but that's only a segment of the game. It'll be most of what he's asked to do though.

Like I said - no shame in being a fan. I drink the kool aid too.

:thumbsup:

lets hope Alonso and Rivers acclimate well and Jim S knows as much about Spikes limitations and strengths then lines them up appropriately

:beer:

Edited by 3rdand12

Hence why they picked up two more backs this off season. They are prepping not to give CJ a huge payday, and Fred can only last so long. It's funny how they picked up a banger up the middle in Dixon, and CJ like player who can be explosive with Brown.

I like the film on Brown quite a bit. Cautiously optimistic he's the back with power (Fred), speed (spiller), and durability (really neither Fred or cj), we've been lacking. Won't be surprised if he ends up with most carries this season.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Marcell Dareus the man has no heart, hasn't lived up to being a number 3 overall pick, and doesn't seem to care. My guess we'll get 1 really big year out of him in 2015 before he bolts in free agency, the unlucky team that signs him will probably release him within 2 years. If Marcell had half the heart Fred Jackson possesses he could be one of the all time greats. Players we could have taken, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones, JJ Watt players with heart. Between 2002 and 2011 we had 2 top 5 picks Mike Williams and Marcell neither possess the desire to be great. I believe Sammy is going to be different.

Marcell Dareus the man has no heart, hasn't lived up to being a number 3 overall pick, and doesn't seem to care. My guess we'll get 1 really big year out of him in 2015 before he bolts in free agency, the unlucky team that signs him will probably release him within 2 years. If Marcell had half the heart Fred Jackson possesses he could be one of the all time greats. Players we could have taken, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones, JJ Watt players with heart. Between 2002 and 2011 we had 2 top 5 picks Mike Williams and Marcell neither possess the desire to be great. I believe Sammy is going to be different.

So MD is overated ?

By fans or pundits ?

i think you might be onto a good candidate for overated. depending on his play this year. Not sure about the not caring bit but, whatevs

Kiko- most fans have him in the hall of fame already. Not big/strong enough to play in the middle. Let's see what he does outside.

uh oh. now you done it.

Back away slowly , slowly

now run !

So MD is overated ?

By fans or pundits ?

i think you might be onto a good candidate for overated. depending on his play this year. Not sure about the not caring bit but, whatevs

uh oh. now you done it.

Back away slowly , slowly

now run !

you've made my point.

you've made my point.

Yes i did . But is he overated ? or just a Buffalo Bills Icon ? I think he played f'n fantastic last year for an undersized rook who played every down at the Def QB postion .

I think we fans just enjoy having such a solid and impressive player on the field for us .

Edited by 3rdand12

Yes i did . But is he overated ? or just a Buffalo Bills Icon ? I think he played f'n fantastic last year for an undersized rook who played every down at the Def QB postion .

I think we fans just enjoy having such a solid and impressive player on the field for us .

I think he had a good year, with some great moments, but some very bad moments too. I like him, don't get me wrong, but I think many fans realized he couldn't help the team long term in the middle. I'm expecting good things from him, but would have to say from many fans perspective, still overrated. Still good though.

When fans ignore the negatives and only focus on the positives - that equals over rating someone. That's my perspective on this.

Edited by klos63

Ha ha, I just think that he is bad. Everyone knows that I am anti-Hogan so I am not going to say him either.

The most overrated player to me (at this point) is Gilmore. He has a chance to be a really good player IMO and finished the year strong. I still don't like the way that he plays against the run and he commits a lot of penalties. I hear a lot of people both locally and nationally talk about him being the next great CB. He may very well be but he isn't there yet.

I will bet anything that Gilmore is going to be not only very good but great. Sometime this year his reputation will start to raise and most of those penalties he got in his first two years will be no more because the refs just won't call them on him. That's the way the league works for some reason with physical cornerbacks. He's already very good. He shouldn't even have been playing with the futon on his arm last year.

I think he had a good year, with some great moments, but some very bad moments too. I like him, don't get me wrong, but I think many fans realized he couldn't help the team long term in the middle. I'm expecting good things from him, but would have to say from many fans perspective, still overrated. Still good though.

When fans ignore the negatives and only focus on the positives - that equals over rating someone. That's my perspective on this.

Fair enough Brother . I will say very good and hope he fairs better on the outside. My guess is he is better suited to run free to the ball.

I will bet anything that Gilmore is going to be not only very good but great. Sometime this year his reputation will start to raise and most of those penalties he got in his first two years will be no more because the refs just won't call them on him. That's the way the league works for some reason with physical cornerbacks. He's already very good. He shouldn't even have been playing with the futon on his arm last year.

I dont . but its a close call at this point.

Again , i am very hopefull he can play a cleaner game and still dominate his assignments .

But i cant go there . Yet !