Missing Rings: 1990s Buffalo Bills (NFLN special)

NFLN is doing 1990s week and has a special on a team from each year. The Bills special is on right now and is awesome. I checked the schedule and it is going to be replayed (it looks like) at 11:30am Sat. 6/28.

Lots of great footage and interviews

Edited by YoloinOhio

See, this is my big beef with the NFL Network... they are having 90's week....the one sole, one hour program they have devoted to the winningest AFC team (2nd winningest team of the decade) is this one special. During these retro weeks, they typically re-run 3 or 4 Super Bowls from the decade. What was the greatest Super Bowl of the 1990's? One of the top 5 Super Bowls ever? Super Bowl 25! The only Bills Super Bowl they are running is the trashing by the Cowboys in SB XXVII. I realize, the "all-time franchise teams" like the Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, Raiders and Patriots are perceived to be the favorites..but my god, there are 25 or so other teams in the leauge...their fans are every bit as loyal...why not throw them a few more bones? And why do they only replay Super Bowls? Why not show a classic game at 1pm every Sunday during the off-season? Man, if I ran that damn network, it would be so much better! Wouldn't you love to see a "yearbook" higlights reel of some random team (ie: not the freaking Cowboys or Steelers) from the 80's, 70's.... off my soap-box! :blush:

See, this is my big beef with the NFL Network... they are having 90's week....the one sole, one hour program they have devoted to the winningest AFC team (2nd winningest team of the decade) is this one special. During these retro weeks, they typically re-run 3 or 4 Super Bowls from the decade. What was the greatest Super Bowl of the 1990's? One of the top 5 Super Bowls ever? Super Bowl 25! The only Bills Super Bowl they are running is the trashing by the Cowboys in SB XXVII. I realize, the "all-time franchise teams" like the Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, Raiders and Patriots are perceived to be the favorites..but my god, there are 25 or so other teams in the leauge...their fans are every bit as loyal...why not throw them a few more bones? And why do they only replay Super Bowls? Why not show a classic game at 1pm every Sunday during the off-season? Man, if I ran that damn network, it would be so much better! Wouldn't you love to see a "yearbook" higlights reel of some random team (ie: not the freaking Cowboys or Steelers) from the 80's, 70's.... off my soap-box! :blush:

I agree.. especially in this downtime in the sports year where we only have baseball ... I would definitely watch replays of games. There are lots of football obsessed people out there. The Big 10 network shows replays of classic college games all the time and it is great. I was also disappointed to see that the Bills SB they are playing is Dallas from 1993. Edited by YoloinOhio

I could not agree more!!!

There are 32 teams that have 16 games a season and the best they can do is run NFLAM for 6 hours a day. There should be at least one game per day on that network.

Hell, I would watch a 1986 MIA/HOU game over almost anything on tv on any given day (or night).

It is a very underwhelming network, really. Especially so when you consider the NFL's on-field product and the consumers appetite for it.

I agree. But NFLN and ESPN are both whores for ratings.

Thank you!!! I just flipped through the guide and set it to record!!! Hope I can avoid this thread until I watch it as to not see any negative nancy comments... Although, if it sucks, I will be posting one, lol

No Nancy comments about the special itself (it is really good), just about the overall repetitive nature of the NFL Network in general...

I agree. But NFLN and ESPN are both whores for ratings.

I understand that, really I do... but I like the game enough, I am willing to watch coverage on any team....but I really don't need (or want) to see coverage of the Cowboys glory years every day...it is the same stuff over and over. The two-hour Bill Belichek special was great...the first two times I saw it...but it is on nearly every week... i'd much rather watch a feature I team I don't really care about much (say the Arizona Cardinals) than be regaled, once again, in the history of "Americas Team" or the "Silver and Black"....the NFL Network is, I would think, for hardcore NFL fans...there are 32 teams in the league....plus a bunch of others that aren't around any more...just wish they would give a more rounded view of the whole league. The NBA network, NHL network, and from what I have seen, the MLB networks spread their coverage around their entire leagues. I am not talking about creating new content to air...their are thousands of NFL Films productions that will likely never see the light of day, and the damn league has their own 24/7 network! Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me....

These are great points and I agree with you 100%. To play a bit of devils advocate though if I may. I remember when I used to listen to Colin Cowherd's radio show like 7 years ago or so, he would defend when he would talk about the same things numerous times during the show. He would say that the average listener would only tune in for X amount of minutes (a small number that I can't remember). So, if they tuned in they would expect him to be talking about the big story of the day (I think this was around the Bonds or Clemens PED coverage that was so annoying). If he wasn't talking about that, they'd turn it off immediately. He admitted it's all about the ratings and all about the average viewer, flat out saying sorry to the hard-core listeners. Now, this is obviously TV and there is probably a longer viewing time than listening time on the radio, but I think this is probably applicable here. The average NFL fan only cares about their team (obviously they show the most popular teams the most often) and if they are flipping through and see their team (or some player like Manziel) on NFL network in some capacity they may watch for a while, if not they are certain to turn it off. Unfortunately, the true fans get the shaft because they are trying to get the ratings from the average viewer over good content.

I could not agree more!!!

There are 32 teams that have 16 games a season and the best they can do is run NFLAM for 6 hours a day. There should be at least one game per day on that network.

Hell, I would watch a 1986 MIA/HOU game over almost anything on tv on any given day (or night).

It is a very underwhelming network, really. Especially so when you consider the NFL's on-field product and the consumers appetite for it.

For about 4 straight Sundays, about a year ago, they played a noon "NFL Classic" game...no Super Bowls. I recorded all of them. Even though I hate both the teams, they showed the infamous Dolphins/Jets game where Marino did the "fake spike" to beat the Jets. It was a great game....wish they would just show more random stuff like that....doesn't even have to be the Bills. Would love to see some of the old "cardiac kids" Browns game, when Brian Sipe was leading them in the late 70's early 80's. They have all this stuff...why not show it to us?

Edited by Buftex

Once again Bills get boned. It was 1990 season and 1991 Super Bowl (XXV). Technically, the season is still the 1980's. Yet, the Super Bowl is in the 1990's TECHNICALLY. Technically speaking a decade doesn't begin until the 1's... LoL So Super Bowl XXV falls in never, never land... Easier for the NFL to forget... Lost in the "loop hole" of the decades. :-(

God, I wish I was older in the 90s. I never apperciated how great the Bills were. Ithought they were losers because they lost Super Bowls. I jsut assumed they would be in the playoffs every year. Plus, 90s hip hop and rock music was great. If only the Bills could be good now before I'm too old to apperciate it. :(

These are great points and I agree with you 100%. To play a bit of devils advocate though if I may. I remember when I used to listen to Colin Cowherd's radio show like 7 years ago or so, he would defend when he would talk about the same things numerous times during the show. He would say that the average listener would only tune in for X amount of minutes (a small number that I can't remember). So, if they tuned in they would expect him to be talking about the big story of the day (I think this was around the Bonds or Clemens PED coverage that was so annoying). If he wasn't talking about that, they'd turn it off immediately. He admitted it's all about the ratings and all about the average viewer, flat out saying sorry to the hard-core listeners. Now, this is obviously TV and there is probably a longer viewing time than listening time on the radio, but I think this is probably applicable here. The average NFL fan only cares about their team (obviously they show the most popular teams the most often) and if they are flipping through and see their team (or some player like Manziel) on NFL network in some capacity they may watch for a while, if not they are certain to turn it off. Unfortunately, the true fans get the shaft because they are trying to get the ratings from the average viewer over good content.

I understand your point...though quoting Cowherd to me will never get me to change my mind...I think he epitomizes, more than anyone, what I hate about sports/sports coverage over the last 10-12 years... I just don't think sports would be near as big part of my life if I was growing up following them now...maybe that is the bigger issue.

But, while there is merit to what Cowherd says, it is not really what I am talking about. NFLNetwork has about 4 hours of original programming Mon-Friday (more during the football season) which is re-run multiple times during the day. That is when they cover the current league topics...NFL AM, Total Access, etc etc. There, I expect them to talk about Johnny Manziel, Tony Romo, Tom Brady...etc etc...what I am talking about, is the other 12 hours a day when they just show the same Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots specials over and over.

God, I wish I was older in the 90s. I never apperciated how great the Bills were. Ithought they were losers because they lost Super Bowls. I jsut assumed they would be in the playoffs every year. Plus, 90s hip hop and rock music was great. If only the Bills could be good now before I'm too old to apperciate it. :(

Been transferring old VHS Bills games to DVD. The last one I did was a 1988 game: Bills at Patriots. It was kind of hilarious, kind of makes you realize how much the game has changed. In that game (this is prior to the Bills no-huddle) the announcer (nobody I remember at all) is going on and on about how Steve Grogan is the only QB in the NFL who calls his own plays, and one of the few who regularly audibles, because his coaches "trust him that much".

Also, early in the game, Kelly makes a short pass to Thurman which goes off his hands...they go on about how Thurman isn't really known as a receiver,and they would be surprised to see Kelly look his way again... :lol:

I understand your point...though quoting Cowherd to me will never get me to change my mind...I think he epitomizes, more than anyone, what I hate about sports/sports coverage over the last 10-12 years... I just don't think sports would be near as big part of my life if I was growing up following them now...maybe that is the bigger issue.

But, while there is merit to what Cowherd says, it is not really what I am talking about. NFLNetwork has about 4 hours of original programming Mon-Friday (more during the football season) which is re-run multiple times during the day. That is when they cover the current league topics...NFL AM, Total Access, etc etc. There, I expect them to talk about Johnny Manziel, Tony Romo, Tom Brady...etc etc...what I am talking about, is the other 12 hours a day when they just show the same Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots specials over and over.

Been transferring old VHS Bills games to DVD. The last one I did was a 1988 game: Bills at Patriots. It was kind of hilarious, kind of makes you realize how much the game has changed. In that game (this is prior to the Bills no-huddle) the announcer (nobody I remember at all) is going on and on about how Steve Grogan is the only QB in the NFL who calls his own plays, and one of the few who regularly audibles, because his coaches "trust him that much".

Also, early in the game, Kelly makes a short pass to Thurman which goes off his hands...they go on about how Thurman isn't really known as a receiver,and they would be surprised to see Kelly look his way again... :lol:

Steve Grogan had a neck brace! And I missed all those diehard Pats fans in the last 80s and early 90s. I remember a lot of half full stadiums in NE back then.

Just to be clear, I no longer listen to that idiot. I wasn't just talking about the new content / news in this, I was also trying to say that the average fan may stop to watch any program (new or old) about their favorite team or player. Since the Steelers/Cowboys/Packers/Patriots etc. are the most popular teams, they will load up the programming on those teams to get that casual fan flipping through to stay and watch for a while if they see their favorite team on. It's a numbers game, they know a lot more people browsing will stay on and watch those types of teams programs over a Bills or Chargers program. People who would enjoy programs on every team are in the vast minority unfortunately and, therefore, they don't really care what we want. Not exactly the same as what Cowturd was saying, but there is a connection that can be made to it.

Edited by Mark80

If we had TBD back in those days, people would have been ripping Thurman for his hands of stone (and for being "injury prone").

NFLN is doing 1990s week and has a special on a team from each year. The Bills special is on right now and is awesome. I checked the schedule and it is going to be replayed (it looks like) at 11:30am Sat. 6/28.

Lots of great footage and interviews

Oh Great! More salt in the wound! Can't Wait!!!