What We Could Learn From History

Exactly. The jury is still out on Tuel as he passes well but has had no previous team success (??). Then, Likewise, the jury -for many- is still out on Manuel as he's had a lot of team success w/ FSU but is a crappy, girly passer. Yeah, I said it.

I have more hope that Tuel pans out and will develop well, than Manuel. Otherwise, our 'Great QB of the future' isn't on the roster.

Seriously? If you're correct, then Whalley and our FO just totally absolutely suck at talent evaluation, and we're doomed anyway.

Seriously? If you're correct, then Whalley and our FO just totally absolutely suck at talent evaluation, and we're doomed anyway.

Sorry, but I just don't see how you could make such a whacked out jump from missing on Mnauel to 'absolutely suck at talent e v a l'. Perhaps its because were talking QB here, or maybe you're just being a d*#%.. Everybody errors -even you! They've done very well, overall. But, IMO, a trade is warranted to upgrade the Big Spot.

Sorry, but I just don't see how you could make such a whacked out jump from missing on Mnauel to 'absolutely suck at talent e v a l'. Perhaps its because were talking QB here, or maybe you're just being a d*#%.. Everybody errors -even you! They've done very well, overall. But, IMO, a trade is warranted to upgrade the Big Spot.

Yes, you are correct - it's because it's the QB position, the most critical on the team. If Whaley and Co are so misguided that an UDFA who was demoted to 3rd or 4th string after being seen in action, is more likely to succeed than our 1st round draft pick and the other QB ahead of him on the depth chart last year, and they can't see it but you can, I would say it's not a whacked out jump to think they must suck at talent evaluation. Especially when we traded away next year's #1 and more, not to upgrade QB but to upgrade his target.

For whom would you have us trade to upgrade at QB? What do you think we would have to give up?

Edited by Hopeful

Please don't equate Jeff "loser" Tuel who won 4 of 22 games in college to Joe Montana who led some of the greatest college comebacks ever.

Tuel is probably going to be another Trent Edwards in looking great in camp, and then choking when its crunch time. Everyone is forgetting what this kid looked like when he took over for EJ against the Browns in the 3rd quarter. Let me tell ya.... punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, INT, downs.

Against the Chiefs who were dropping in coverage and getting killed by the Bills ground game 38 rushes for 248 yards. Then Tuel threw his INT in the endzone that was returned for a TD, and the rout was on as Tuel went on a 39 passing attempt joke of a game. The rest of that game went like this, INT, downs, FG, fumble, punt, punt, downs. So, basically Tuel looked good in a power run scheme while throwing only 16 passes, and the Bills rushing for 35 times, and then sucked big time while trying to win the game by throwing.

Would it surprise you to learn that the Chiefs only scored three FG's on offense that entire game, and scored two defensive touchdowns to win the game? Tuel INT returned for a TD, and a TJ Graham fumble after a pass returned for a TD.

As a backup QB Tuel lost two games last year that a seasoned QB could have won, and until he shows that he came come in a game and win it by throwing, I will always think of him as a loser.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Please don't equate Jeff "loser" Tuel who won 4 of 22 games in college to Joe Montana who led some of the greatest college comebacks ever.

Tuel is probably going to be another Trent Edwards in looking great in camp, and then choking when its crunch time. Everyone is forgetting what this kid looked like when he took over for EJ against the Browns in the 3rd quarter. Let me tell ya.... punt, punt, punt, punt, punt, INT, downs.

Against the Chiefs who were dropping in coverage and getting killed by the Bills ground game 38 rushes for 248 yards. Then Tuel threw his INT in the endzone that was returned for a TD, and the rout was on as Tuel went on a 39 passing attempt joke of a game. The rest of that game went like this, INT, downs, FG, fumble, punt, punt, downs. So, basically Tuel looked good in a power run scheme while throwing only 16 passes, and the Bills rushing for 35 times, and then sucked big time while trying to win the game by throwing.

Would it surprise you to learn that the Chiefs only scored three FG's on offense that entire game, and scored two defensive touchdowns to win the game? Tuel INT returned for a TD, and a TJ Graham fumble after a pass returned for a TD.

As a backup QB Tuel lost two games last year that a seasoned QB could have won, and until he shows that he came come in a game and win it by throwing, I will always think of him as a loser.

Wow a rookie QB didn't play as well as a seasoned QB? Stop the presses.

Wow a rookie QB didn't play as well as a seasoned QB? Stop the presses.

Well when you put it like that.... :D

....I think the point, though, is that we haven't seen anything out of Tuel in a game yet to cause us to think he's got hidden Montana- or Brady- like qualities.

Both those guys were "comeback kids" in college and/or had at least one record setting season capped by a bowl victory. They had their moments before the NFL, and early in the NFL, where you could see they could be special guys.

In contrast, I don't understand the basis for the Tuel hoopla.

What I have learned from history is that I will win big in the lottery. A man won $20 million who lived two doors down from my friends, and another person won $10 million from the place where I buy my tickets.

I know you lottery haters will say there is no way I can win, but these people won after years of trying. Like them, I have had years of trying to win the lottery and am now convinced that it will happen. I'm not saying I will win tens of millions, but I will definitely win at least one million.

Yeah keep smoking that, NYS wins.

Let's be real, he throws a TD instead of a pick six on one play and he was in the mix and we all love him. That being said, I think Thad looked better than EJ overall and I'm happy with him at #2. Seems Dixon can't get any reps, he has always been interesting enough to think he could supplant Tuel if Jeff was really that bad...He won a couple games in Pitt.

Real = He did throw the pick 6, just saying.

Real = He did throw the pick 6, just saying.

He certainly did. I don't think Tuel is some diamond in the rough, future All-Pro. I just think one play was a tough way to be judged. It was an ugly pick, though the deep ball to Goodwin sticks in my mind more clearly for some reason. His ceiling is serviceable backup in my unprofessional opinion.

Edited by SmokinES3

Tuel has more pocket awareness and better accuracy than EJ IMO.

In addition to single handedly losing the Cleveland game, he repeated with the KC game. Juxtapose him with Thad who comes in with almost no prep and he keeps us in the cincy game where we go to overtime. I really love thad in a back up. That doesn't mean i want him as our starting QB, but a very dependable back up.

I just wish we would have found an older very reliable QB as a third. Tuel needs to go to PS.

In addition to single handedly losing the Cleveland game, he repeated with the KC game. Juxtapose him with Thad who comes in with almost no prep and he keeps us in the cincy game where we go to overtime. I really love thad in a back up. That doesn't mean i want him as our starting QB, but a very dependable back up.

I just wish we would have found an older very reliable QB as a third. Tuel needs to go to PS.

Thad had a week of prep for the Cincy game, same as Tuel for KC.

Wiki: "Tuel played his first NFL game on October 3, 2013 against the Cleveland Browns shortly after the starting QB, EJ Manuel, hurt his knee halfway into the 3rd quarter. His first pass was incomplete, due to a defensive interference. Late in the 4th quarter, Tuel threw an interception that was returned 44 yards for a touchdown, effectively ending any chance of a Bills comeback. Following Tuel's performance, the Bills called up Thad Lewis from the practice squad and named him starter, again demoting Tuel to second-string."

Tuel was so impressive to the coaches that the Bills signed the Iggles former 4th-string QB on October 8, making Tuel effectively our 4th string.

Please keep in mind that Brady, at U Mich, set team records for completions and pass attempts, had big-10 recognition as a player his last 2 years, and won two bowl games. He could reasonably have expected to be drafted a lot higher than 6th. What exactly did Tuel accomplish in College that you expect him to be Brady-like?

Excellent points. He should have stayed on the Montana comparison as it's a lot closer to Tuel from a numbers perspective.

I agree that it's completely "possible" that Jeff Tuel becomes a good NFL backup eventually. There is a small chance that he becomes an NFL starter.

He's young and has plenty of room to develop/improve.

The problem is...

The same people who are big Tuel supporters, are often the same people who are ready to throw in the towel on EJ Manuel.

Now if you can wait for a raw UDFA talent with average measurables to develop -- WHY IN THE WORLD can we not be patient with a physical talent like Manuel? It makes absolutely zero sense.