Speeding Ticket in Canada

So...while my Father and I were driving the cars from Alaska to New York last summer we got pulled over for speeding just after crossing the border from British Columbia into Alberta. The officer (I don't know what the hell they're called up there) issued both my Father and I a speeding ticket. Strangely, before letting us leave, he told us that we didn't need to do anything about the ticket, and didn't need to pay the fine. He said "after you go through US customs you can just throw it away." My Father and I were puzzled, but relieved to not have to pay the hefty fine associated with the tickets.

So.....fast forward to a few weeks ago. My Father received a letter from the Province of Alberta stating that he needed to pay the fine, or there would be action taken against him. Apparently, they can go after his tax returns, retirement, and file a report against him with the NYS DMV. My Father recently mailed in a check to pay the fine. I have not been contacted yet, but I am beginning to worry. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? I am more than happy to pay the fine, but it is strange that the officer told us that though, no? I feel that if I don't pay the fine, at the very least, I may run into trouble crossing the border into Canada in the future.

Thoughts?

Back in 1986 we were in Banff w/a rental car (staying in Banff). First day of skiing we were heading to Lake Louise and one of my friends that was driving got pulled over for speeding... Took the ticket in his name and license. A few days later, he got pulled over again when we were going to Sunshine... BY THE SAME COP. This time he told the cop that he didn't have his license and he gave his older brother's name... OH MY! Our other friend and I just sat there stunned as he played this scenario out and that he attempted to pull this off... The cop wrote him a ticket in his brother's name!! Let us go... Then said: "You look familar." LoL We drove off. Knowing his personality, I doubt my friend ever fixed the ticket situation. Were cops stupid back then, you think that would float now? Especially with computers? Huh? I always wondered if he crossed the border w/his family and saw his name pop up? LoL

Anway... We took a picture of our other friend holding both tickets on display in the car... After the cop left. You can clearly see different names. Its on celluloid/paper so I have to scan it in... I don't dare post it on the internet though... It will forever be in my photo album from that Banff trip.

Even worse... His brother... What if his name pops up when crossing the border? Yet, he was much older, he may even be dead now?

That cop must have been handing out 100's of tickets all week to speeding skiers in Banff Park... I can't believe it was pulled off.

Besides that... Can't really help you too much Hammersticks w/out just saying: "Dodge it, will you ever go back to Canada?" ;-P ;-P

EDIT: I suppose the cop is right... Can a country enter into an agreement with NYS? Isn't that against the USC or something? I suppose it is a scare tactic to get your father to pay. You live in VT, so that borders Canada. How can they take taxes and what not... I mentioned the 1986 story, that was a long time ago. I am almost certain my friend never paid and si ply threw them out.

Back in 1986 we were in Banff w/a rental car (staying in Banff). First day of skiing we were heading to Lake Louise and one of my friends that was driving got pulled over for speeding... Took the ticket in his name and license. A few days later, he got pulled over again when we were going to Sunshine... BY THE SAME COP. This time he told the cop that he didn't have his license and he gave his older brother's name... OH MY! Our other friend and I just sat there stunned as he played this scenario out and that he attempted to pull this off... The cop wrote him a ticket in his brother's name!! Let us go... Then said: "You look familar." LoL We drove off. Knowing his personality, I doubt my friend ever fixed the ticket situation. Were cops stupid back then, you think that would float now? Especially with computers? Huh? I always wondered if he crossed the border w/his family and saw his name pop up? LoL

Anway... We took a picture of our other friend holding both tickets on display in the car... After the cop left. You can clearly see different names. Its on celluloid/paper so I have to scan it in... I don't dare post it on the internet though... It will forever be in my photo album from that Banff trip.

Even worse... His brother... What if his name pops up when crossing the border? Yet, he was much older, he may even be dead now?

That cop must have been handing out 100's of tickets all week to speeding skiers in Banff Park... I can't believe it was pulled off.

Besides that... Can't really help you too much Hammersticks w/out just saying: "Dodge it, will you ever go back to Canada?" ;-P ;-P

EDIT: I suppose the cop is right... Can a country enter into an agreement with NYS? Isn't that against the USC or something? I suppose it is a scare tactic to get your father to pay. You live in VT, so that borders Canada. How can they take taxes and what not... I mentioned the 1986 story, that was a long time ago. I am almost certain my friend never paid and si ply threw them out.

Yeah, I was wondering if it was just a scare tactic. My only fear, really, is crossing the border. We live about 3 hours from Montreal, and I'd like to be able to go up there a few times. Then again, what is the worst that can happen at the border? Deny me entry? Make me pay the fine? Arrest me and torture me with a tickle feather?

Freakin Canuks!

I remember back in the day I got a ticket for 90 in a 55 outside Cleveland. Debated on ever paying the ticket because I may never be back in Ohio again. This was years before stations had computer access to different counties and states. So with that being said, in glad I paid the ticket. Mailed it in and that was that. In fact it was cheaper than any ticket I had ever paid in Ny and because it was over 30 mph over, I probably should have had my koscense suspended but didn't. Was only $60.

This means nothing in your situation I know. Just a cool story I like to tell when I get the chance. Oh, the funny thing was I was speeding to get back so I had enough time to tailgate for a Bills game against the Pats. One of the Flutie years.

Generally Customs is looking for/at criminal info when you cross the border. I doubt if any "minor" traffic violations ever make it to their data base.

You could always create a diversion by answering YES to the "do you own a gun?" question.

I had a banana and coffee for breakfast this morning

Thanks Pooj. I knew I could rely on you. Did you have a nice BM today?

Generally Customs is looking for/at criminal info when you cross the border. I doubt if any "minor" traffic violations ever make it to their data base.

You could always create a diversion by answering YES to the "do you own a gun?" question.

Haha...I guess I'm not all that worried about it. If I ever get caught I could just play the "oops I forgot" card. Plus, it happened in Alberta. I don't think I will ever need to travel to Alberta again. That place is like North Dakota but worse.

No idea why the officer told you that.

We went to Buffalo for the day for my dads birthday a few years ago and he got pulled over for speeding while in Buffalo.

He told the officer that we were here for his birthday to which the officer wrote up the ticket, gave it to my dad and said "Happy Birthday"

He had to pay it when we returned to Ontario so I dont know why it would be any different for an American speeding in Canada.

Sounds like you guys got pulled over by an idiot officer.

If he told your dad not to worry and throw it out when he crosses the border, why would he even bother writing up the ticket?

CBF

No idea why the officer told you that.

We went to Buffalo for the day for my dads birthday a few years ago and he got pulled over for speeding while in Buffalo.

He told the officer that we were here for his birthday to which the officer wrote up the ticket, gave it to my dad and said "Happy Birthday"

He had to pay it when we returned to Ontario so I dont know why it would be any different for an American speeding in Canada.

Sounds like you guys got pulled over by an idiot officer.

If he told your dad not to worry and throw it out when he crosses the border, why would he even bother writing up the ticket?

CBF

Good question. I don't know why he wrote the ticket. Perhaps he needed to because he called in our plates or something? It was really weird. We even asked him again to make sure we didn't have to pay the ticket. He chuckled and again reassured us that it would never be an issue. I don't know...

Thanks Pooj. I knew I could rely on you. Did you have a nice BM today?

Haha...I guess I'm not all that worried about it. If I ever get caught I could just play the "oops I forgot" card. Plus, it happened in Alberta. I don't think I will ever need to travel to Alberta again. That place is like North Dakota but worse.

What part of AB? Was it Northern Alberta and through the prairie that you traveled... Or does the road (AK Highway) take you to BC and through the mountains and to Calgary. Through Banff Park, when we there, it seemed like a "Ticket Factory."

CBF

Two different counrtries w/its citizens adherring to different laws/rights. I can see it totally being different. Just a guess. Canada is more federalized/centralized, right??

What part of AB? Was it Northern Alberta and through the prairie that you traveled... Or does the road (AK Highway) take you to BC and through the mountains and to Calgary. Through Banff Park, when we there, it seemed like a "Ticket Factory."

It was northern Alberta on the AK highway. The stretch of driving was between Fort Nelson and Edmonton, but we had just crossed the border into Alberta. I don't know that we even saw any other police that far north. I was completely shocked.

It was northern Alberta on the AK highway. The stretch of driving was between Fort Nelson and Edmonton, but we had just crossed the border into Alberta. I don't know that we even saw any other police that far north. I was completely shocked.

What's the damage... Speed in what? You don't have to answer. Did you give your Old Man hell? If it was you and you were 18 he would have beat you silly... J/K...

I am calling Canada's bluff on this one. I am pretty sure they are not going to go after you or your dad. But, like you said, who knows if you were to ever get pulled over in Alberta again? I don't know what draconian punishments they might have in Canada.

March you out onto a frozen lake with no hydration and mittens!

;-)

Oh, many moons ago on the 219 I fell for getting pulled over w/another car by ONE cop. Never again, I always throw the other car to the wolves and let the cop grab only one...

Who was leading, following... Should of said: "Sorry Dad, every man for themselves" by throwing him as speed bait to the cop. He would have forgave you when you hooked back up in Manitoba two days later...

;-)

Makes me think that they will never catch JH.

Ha! Same w/my friend who got two tickets in different names by the same cop... Going on almost 30 years now.

American justice... Especially North Carolinan elementary school justice would have sniffed all this out in under 10 seconds! ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Found someone asking a similar question to yours online and here is their answer...

"First: Find out if the state you live in has a points sharing agreement with the candian provience

that you commited the offense. For example. New York state has agreements with Ontario and Quebec so that any traffic infractions there count towards points on a NYS licence here and visa versa. So not addressing it can have insurance and license implications.

Minimally you need to address this because an unpaid ticket will resort in a bench warrent being put out for you and if you reenter canada even a few years later disregarding it, you might be asked to "please step out of the vehicle".

My advice to you is to hire a canadian lawyer who specializes in traffic law. While it will cost you extra money, a good traffic law attorney can do a few things for you:

1. They represent you, and file motions on your behalf with the traffic court, and if needed appear in court on your behalf.

2. While the speeding ticket will likely stick (because your excuse for speeding is not valid), a good traffic atorney can get most speeding ticket infractions reduced in points. It is at the discresion of the court, but they may even reduce the ticket to a non speeding offense.

[They will however allways charge same value traffic fine even if they plea bargan down the ticket, they still want the money, they just might however if you have a good atorney not let it look as bad on your record with clever plea bargening, this is good because it saves you points on your license and reduces the risk surcharge on your auto insurance which could save you hundreds of dollars]

3. If you have conclusive proof from your insurance company (and I would even go so far as to get them to write a letter in addition to your proof of insurance testifying to the fact that your insurance was full and in force on the date of the allegeged infraction. Make sure they put it on company letter head and provide contact information.

You will provide this to the traffic attorney and he/she can use it to try and get that charge dropped.. however they could still opt to plea bargan down to a zero points violation."

CBF

What's the damage... Speed in what? You don't have to answer. Did you give your Old Man hell? If it was you and you were 18 he would have beat you silly... J/K...

I was the lead driver, and I was the one dictating the pace. I drove 10-15 MPH above the speed limit nearly the entire way (much to my Father's protest) until we hit civilization. Needless to say, I got an earful from papa bear. It was his first speeding ticket ever...haha.

Found someone asking a similar question to yours online and here is their answer...

"First: Find out if the state you live in has a points sharing agreement with the candian provience

that you commited the offense. For example. New York state has agreements with Ontario and Quebec so that any traffic infractions there count towards points on a NYS licence here and visa versa. So not addressing it can have insurance and license implications.

Minimally you need to address this because an unpaid ticket will resort in a bench warrent being put out for you and if you reenter canada even a few years later disregarding it, you might be asked to "please step out of the vehicle".

My advice to you is to hire a canadian lawyer who specializes in traffic law. While it will cost you extra money, a good traffic law attorney can do a few things for you:

1. They represent you, and file motions on your behalf with the traffic court, and if needed appear in court on your behalf.

2. While the speeding ticket will likely stick (because your excuse for speeding is not valid), a good traffic atorney can get most speeding ticket infractions reduced in points. It is at the discresion of the court, but they may even reduce the ticket to a non speeding offense.

[They will however allways charge same value traffic fine even if they plea bargan down the ticket, they still want the money, they just might however if you have a good atorney not let it look as bad on your record with clever plea bargening, this is good because it saves you points on your license and reduces the risk surcharge on your auto insurance which could save you hundreds of dollars]

3. If you have conclusive proof from your insurance company (and I would even go so far as to get them to write a letter in addition to your proof of insurance testifying to the fact that your insurance was full and in force on the date of the allegeged infraction. Make sure they put it on company letter head and provide contact information.

You will provide this to the traffic attorney and he/she can use it to try and get that charge dropped.. however they could still opt to plea bargan down to a zero points violation."

CBF

His father paid and squared it away, assuming he has a NYS license. I think JH as a VT license by now?

OR... Since he said got the ticket while moving from AK to VT, did he take it w/his AK license? If he has the VT license now, did he "jump" the violation. He may be in the clear. ??

CBF

Sheesh!! That's a lot of work my friend. Is there a statue of limitations on speeding offenses in Canada? I'd rather just never go to Canada again.

<intended misuse of English language>

His father paid and squared it away, assuming he has a NYS license. I think JH as a VT license by now?

OR... Since he said got the ticket while moving, he took it w/his AK license. If he has the VT license now, did he "jump" the violation. ??

Good points, and that is why I believe I haven't been contacted yet. When I got the ticket I had an Alaska drivers license. Now I am licensed in VT.

Good points, and that is why I believe I haven't been contacted yet. When I got the ticket I had an Alaska drivers license. Now I am licensed in VT.

Oops... I edited to clarify. By "jumped"... I mean it is buried. How the heck will they find you? I suppose computers. ?? But AB will (IFF) they go sniffing in AK... Does AK keep a record that you went to VT? Or is that just VT knowing you came from AK.

I think you may be in the clear... LoL... BUT DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT! I don't want you to be angry @ me when your car is being torn apart along with certain bodily cavities. Boy that would put a damper on that nice family vacation to Montreal while attempting to cross the VT-QUE line. Second thought, you should use Maine... Worked for the terrorists! ;-P ;-P

Oops... I edited to clarify. By "jumped"... I mean it is buried. How the heck will they find you? I suppose computers. ?? But AB will (IFF) they go sniffing in AK... Does AK keep a record that you went to VT? Or is that just VT knowing you came from AK.

I think you may be in the clear... LoL... BUT DO NOT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT! I don't want you to be angry @ me when your car is being torn apart along with certain bodily cavities. Boy that would put a damper on that nice family vacation to Montreal while attempting to cross the VT-QUE line. Second thought, you should use Maine... Worked for the terrorists! ;-P ;-P

I suppose they have absolutely no way of finding me. As my official legal counsel, I will take your advice and blow it off. If any legal action is visited on me, however, I will be filing a law suit against you for unethical legal practice. Case closed.

Maybe that is why the cop said to 86 it? He may have thought both of you were moving/changing states. Sucks for your father that he stays put in NYS. But he has it coming for all that hell he put you through as a kid! ;-)

I suppose they have absolutely no way of finding me. As my official legal counsel, I will take your advice and blow it off. If any legal action is visited on me, however, I will be filing a law suit against you for unethical legal practice. Case closed.

Shhh... LoL... Oh boy, getting sued for practicing "Holiday Inn Express Law", probably... Just be warned, I can jump states too just like Al Capone did... I am set up on the Indiana border, you don't want to go to court in Indiana! ;-P

A cop with a sense of humor,,,outstanding!

I was the lead driver, and I was the one dictating the pace. I drove 10-15 MPH above the speed limit nearly the entire way (much to my Father's protest) until we hit civilization. Needless to say, I got an earful from papa bear. It was his first speeding ticket ever...haha.

HA! Ouch! My father in law got his first ticket ever leaving our house heading out of town to go back to BFLO... About 10 or so years ago... The school blocks off traffic and you have to reroute around the town streets. Everything is a grid, so you just go around... He went straight through and some douchebag cop stopped him a gave him a ticket. Nice, he probably stewed about it the whole 530 miles drive back to WNY! He's like in his 70's and has out of state plates, I think they could have given him a warning since he was confused with the setup and didn't want to to get lost. Oh well...

Bench warrants are not fun. A guy I used to work with got pulled over for having an expired inspection sticker. He wrote in to the court, and when he never heard anything back, assumed it was all taken care of. Fast forward a couple years later. He gets pulled over again for an expired inspection sticker. Cop runs his name and up pops a bench warrant because the first expired inspection sticker ticket was not taken care of. So they arrest him (cuffs, back of the car, etc) and take him downtown. BUT! It's Martin Luther King Day so the courts are closed. Since there's no judges on duty, he has to spend the night in jail until he can be seen the next morning. Only good thing is the judge the next morning, upon seeing why he spent the night in jail, asked him if he learned his lesson and was free to go.

Speaking of Canada...anyone ever tried Poutine? It's freaking amazing. Fries and cheese curds smothered in gravy!! I don't know why you don't see it more in the states, eh?

Gotta go to the washroom.

You do see it a little bit here towards Chicago... But not anything remotely big like in Quebec. I kinda forget the French roots in this area. LoL, not that poutine is really French... LoL. My neighbors dad passed away, in his 90's, he had french ancestry in the Chicago area.

Only good thing is the judge the next morning, upon seeing why he spent the night in jail, asked him if he learned his lesson and was free to go.

Yeah! Make sure you keep your inspection up to date! :nana: