Principal forced kids to walk outside - parents furious

http://news.yahoo.co...-204806393.html

...the trouble began when their kids showed up at school in regular garb instead of khakis and white polo shirts.

The principal’s response, peeved parents allege, was to order the offending kids outside to schlep around a dirt trail on the Manchester Elementary campus.

The temperature was in the high 70s when the slog started and in the high 80s when it finally ended over two hours later.

“When I got out there, they had stopped under the tree because it was so hot,” the mad mom told the Observer. “It would break your heart.”

I would be mad too if I found my kid hanging out under a tree instead of being in a classroom.

Seventy years ago today, American GIs and Marines were advancing inland from the beaches on Saipan...but they stopped and rested under a tree, because it was too hot.

Glad we didn't have 5th grades storming the beaches of Iwo Jimo and Okinawa. Babies! Suck it up, but then again these Marines didn't have Ernest T. Bass laughing @ them from uptop in the tree... They only had Japanese snipers firing @ them.

And their moms were furious with FDR.

Yeah! Make him walk around that dirt path/tree! Take that FDR!

I would be mad too if I found my kid hanging out under a tree instead of being in a classroom.

This belongs in the doomed thread.

What exactly do you suppose the kids would be doing in a classroom on the last day of school?

This belongs in the doomed thread.

What exactly do you suppose the kids would be doing in a classroom on the last day of school?

The Group W Bench @ the induction center.

The sensationalism of that article is priceless. I'm almost surprised the author didn't refer to it as a 'death march'.

Walking for TWO HOURS with NO WATER on a June day! The horror!

I do get your point. Yet, would you let it go if your child dropped because of the heat... I know, I know. But would you? If you answer yes, you wouldn't mind then I can agree with you.

The sensationalism of that article is priceless. I'm almost surprised the author didn't refer to it as a 'death march'.

Walking for TWO HOURS with NO WATER on a June day! The horror!

And later on, when the kids were back inside, the temperature hit the mid-90s. That was a particularly relevant fact the article took pains to share.

BREAKING NEWS: Principal makes kids walk outside, sun goes down hours later.

In order to graduate HS, my gym teacher made me walk 25 laps around the track (quarter mile). I skipped class so much that this was my penance. I didn't get any water either.

When I told my parents they said "serves you right you little stojan-head."

It does serve you right, but would your parents have been "standup" if you collapsed and got ill? I am not saying you would have collapsed, or whatever. You learned your lesson. Yet, when things go wrong... Will they blow it off? I hope so. ??

It does serve you right, but would your parents have been "standup" if you collapsed and got ill? I am not saying you would have collapsed, or whatever. You learned your lesson. Yet, when things go wrong... Will they blow it off? I hope so. ??

If I needed to be hospitalized or something serious like that, my folks probably would have been pissed. I don't think my gym teacher would have let the situation get out of hand though. I feel like things were different back then, and I graduated HS in the 90's.

If I needed to be hospitalized or something serious like that, my folks probably would have been pissed. I don't think my gym teacher would have let the situation get out of hand though. I feel like things were different back then, and I graduated HS in the 90's.

My dad would have been pissed at me for being in such pitiful shape that I couldn't walk six miles.

Here's hoping.

He was my neighbor and my lacrosse coach...haha. He probably could have water-boarded me and my parents would have been chill.

my gym teachers would play dodgeball in the pool when you jumped off the diving board. if you weren't quick enough they'd slam you in the head.

My gym teacher in elementary school would throw kick balls at students who were not paying attention.

My dad would have been pissed at me for being in such pitiful shape that I couldn't walk six miles.

My Father is a tough as nails sonnomabitch. Union bricklayer retired after 35 years. He was pretty tough on me, but in a good way. Luckily, I was in great shape in HS, and walking the 6 miles wasn't a problem at all.