What if American football used soccer-style rules?

On a separate but related note, I just learned that a fairly significant portion of the team (at least 5 that I could count) was not born nor did they grow up in the US and are dual citizens with English as a second language, including the coach!

This sport gets more bizarre every day.

This truly is ridiculous. USA! USA! USA!

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great talk about what makes sports more exhausting! I've played a lot of sports, and I found boxing (both training and competing) to be by far the most physically grueling. After that is was probably wrestling, football, hockey, soccer, bball, then like, beer pong, then baseball.

You can say you run this much in this one, that much in that one... something about getting constantly hit while you do it makes it a hell of a lot more tiring. Also, equipment is heavy and ice skating is tiring in it of itself let alone trying to play hockey while doing it. Then again, I probably always took it easier in soccer than the other sports I played because I didn't care as much. Always just seemed more leisurely.

Great talk about what makes sports more exhausting! I've played a lot of sports, and I found boxing (both training and competing) to be by far the most physically grueling. After that is was probably wrestling, football, hockey, soccer, bball, then like, beer pong, then baseball.

You can say you run this much in this one, that much in that one... something about getting constantly hit while you do it makes it a hell of a lot more tiring. Also, equipment is heavy and ice skating is tiring in it of itself let alone trying to play hockey while doing it. Then again, I probably always took it easier in soccer than the other sports I played because I didn't care as much. Always just seemed more leisurely.

Truth!!!

Did you not notice that ice hockey was rated ahead of the team sport you claimed required the best cardio stamina?

Uh, I'm guessing you actually didn't read the link. The link according even to their standards didn't state in their view which sports required the most stamina, it simply listed 6 different sports.

And your second link wouldn't open.

Also:

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-10764123

http://www.livestrong.com/article/474836-what-sport-burns-the-most-calories-per-hour/

There it is, there is no other team sport throughout the entirety of the game that uses as much cardio as soccer. As I said before, so yes, it is fact, not opinion.

The point isn't to to attempt to convert people into liking soccer, I could give a rat's patooty what they like. It's a matter of mocking ignorance, and it doesn't matter whether it's politics, economics or sports, ignorance is ignorance.

People want to make declarative statements, that's fine, but I'll correct them if they are wrong.

Statements such as:

"how many miles you have to run isn't really too relevant."

"7 miles over 105 minutes is a 15 minute mile. That's not exactly exhausting."

" What I'm saying is if guys like Sherman, Graham, LeBron, CJ, and dozens of other football and basketball players grew up playing soccer instead of the other sports, they'd dominate the game. DOMINATE. "

"Ah, now I get it--it's like....gymnastics! Another sport that gets "serious attention" every 4 years by people who don't really care about it. "

Statements like this is pure unadulterated ignorance, and it's begging to be mocked. Listen I get it, people don't like certain sports, that's their prerogative. However, there are always those dou***bags that always have to go out of their way to state how much they hate the sport. I'm not a big fan of a couple sports, if someone asks me about it, I may let them know why I don't particularly care for it. But that's not the way it is for the dou*ches, who incessantly have to make their point. That's fine, but if they say something ignorant, I'll correct it.

That wasn't the point of the discussion. The point was that different sports have different demands. An athlete conditioned and trained to play football, for example, isn't necessarily conditioned for the different physical demands of a soccer game. I played hockey. That was my main focus. I played soccer in the summers as well. When I was in my best hockey shape in high school and college I know for a fact that I couldn't have run a full game at midfield because I was conditioned for the more anaerobic game of short shifts.

Every sport is leisurely when you don't give a !@#$.

That wasn't the point of the discussion. The point was that different sports have different demands. An athlete conditioned and trained to play football, for example, isn't necessarily conditioned for the different physical demands of a soccer game. I played hockey. That was my main focus. I played soccer in the summers as well. When I was in my best hockey shape in high school and college I know for a fact that I couldn't have run a full game at midfield because I was conditioned for the more anaerobic game of short shifts.

Every sport is leisurely when you don't give a !@#$.

Well I guess I changed the point then, didn't I? Yeah, except if you try to be leisurely in football you die.

Uh, I'm guessing you actually didn't read the link. The link according even to their standards didn't state in their view which sports required the most stamina, it simply listed 6 different sports.

And your second link wouldn't open.

Also:

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-10764123

http://www.livestrong.com/article/474836-what-sport-burns-the-most-calories-per-hour/

There it is, there is no other team sport throughout the entirety of the game that uses as much cardio as soccer. As I said before, so yes, it is fact, not opinion.

The point isn't to to attempt to convert people into liking soccer, I could give a rat's patooty what they like. It's a matter of mocking ignorance, and it doesn't matter whether it's politics, economics or sports, ignorance is ignorance.

People want to make declarative statements, that's fine, but I'll correct them if they are wrong.

Statements such as:

"how many miles you have to run isn't really too relevant."

"7 miles over 105 minutes is a 15 minute mile. That's not exactly exhausting."

" What I'm saying is if guys like Sherman, Graham, LeBron, CJ, and dozens of other football and basketball players grew up playing soccer instead of the other sports, they'd dominate the game. DOMINATE. "

"Ah, now I get it--it's like....gymnastics! Another sport that gets "serious attention" every 4 years by people who don't really care about it. "

Statements like this is pure unadulterated ignorance, and it's begging to be mocked. Listen I get it, people don't like certain sports, that's their prerogative. However, there are always those dou***bags that always have to go out of their way to state how much they hate the sport. I'm not a big fan of a couple sports, if someone asks me about it, I may let them know why I don't particularly care for it. But that's not the way it is for the dou*ches, who incessantly have to make their point. That's fine, but if they say something ignorant, I'll correct it.

You're the one getting bent out of shape about it. Just because people don't agree with you're assessment of grueling doesn't mean they are ignorant and you're enlightened.

I've played soccer, football, basketball. There is not a doubt that soccer is the least grueling and least taxing on your body. I'm not saying that soccer is not exhausting, it is. But when people portray it to be so grueling it's just a little disingenuous.

I've played soccer, football, basketball. There is not a doubt that soccer is the least grueling and least taxing on your body. I'm not saying that soccer is not exhausting, it is. But when people portray it to be so grueling it's just a little disingenuous.

Pure ignorance.

umm, no it's not. That is the common criticism overseas about American Football, is the lack of action and fluidity. I always trying explaining to my South American friends the nuances of the game, and the amazing athleticism and strength, the strategy behind blocking and defense, but they just think it's a bunch of big guys ramming into each other, they find it to be horrendously boring. Sorta like talking to some of you guys about soccer.

Oh well, each side misses out on what I consider to be the two best sports in the world.

Let's keep both footballs where they belong and we'll be all better off. No breath wasted.

There seems to be constant mention of the time between plays in football. That's actually when the build up and drama happen. Baseball and football having a break in between the action to review what just happened and build to a crescendo at the big parts of the game - are what makes it so dramatic.

I don't really like it when hockey has a shot off the post, you didn't really see what happened, and they keep going - and maybe there's another big chance, and another. And, I'm thinking wait - did that first one possibly go in, etc?

You're the one getting bent out of shape about it. Just because people don't agree with you're assessment of grueling doesn't mean they are ignorant and you're enlightened.

Its not even about soccer with me. Its a defense of common sense.

grueling

adjective

exhausting; very tiring; arduously severe: the grueling Boston marathon.

noun

any trying or exhausting procedure or experience.

Edited by Jauronimo

Its not even about soccer with me. Its a defense of common sense.

Like when someone says that soccer isn't grueling, which is commonly defined as "trying or taxing to the point of exhaustion".

grueling

adjective

exhausting; very tiring; arduously severe: the grueling Boston marathon.

noun

any trying or exhausting procedure or experience.

Splitting hairs and playing semantics is the last vestige of the vanquished.

You understand the point. Doesn't matter anyway, in a few weeks all the soccer hipsters can go back to watching the EPL on Saturday mornings instead of the four year cicada like infestation.

Splitting hairs and playing semantics is the last vestige of the vanquished.

You understand the point. Doesn't matter anyway, in a few weeks all the soccer hipsters can go back to watching the EPL on Saturday mornings instead of the four year cicada like infestation.

I agree, which is why I called you on your attempt to make your point by distinguishing between synonyms grueling and exhausting.

Edited by Jauronimo

Maybe, but it's the norm for international competitions, regardless of sport.

I've never understood it, and it seems that the US is always on the giving, not receiving end of that charity work.

I've never understood it, and it seems that the US is always on the giving, not receiving end of that charity work.

I suppose, but I think a lot of the athletes who compete for other countries because their mother is part {insert nationality} do so because they wouldn't make the US team. That seems to happen most frequently - or where I've seen it most frequently - is during the Olympics.