ESPN.com interview with Whaley

Hurrumph.......it's only 14 seasons. :censored:

"Out of the playoffs for the past 15 seasons -- the NFL's longest active postseason drought -- the Bills need a winning team now. Ralph Wilson, who founded and owned the Bills for 54 years, died in March. There will be a new owner in place by early next year, just in time for the new boss to make sweeping changes if the team can't reverse its fortunes this season."

Edited by Dibs

Hurrumph.......it's only 14 seasons. :censored:

"Out of the playoffs for the past 15 seasons -- the NFL's longest active postseason drought -- the Bills need a winning team now. Ralph Wilson, who founded and owned the Bills for 54 years, died in March. There will be a new owner in place by early next year, just in time for the new boss to make sweeping changes if the team can't reverse its fortunes this season."

Rodak <_<

Indeed, this is the current state of the League. Sadly, there have been many great teams in the past that crawled out of the cellar to credibility, only to fall back a step one year, then come out blazing. Our 9-7 team of '89 could be in this group. Today, Levy & staff might well have been on the unemployment line for that.

One aspect of the prevailing new world order in the League not discussed much is the now ever-changing coaching staffs below the HC. Tell me this doesn't negatively affect/effect a team and I'll call you nuts!

We all expect an improved team this coming season and next. It SHOULD happen. But a step back will most likely spell the end of Marrone and possibly Whaley, which would be a damn shame, IMO.

I'm not sure if I agree with this respectfully

Why would a GM behave differently? Taking it easy in his safe, cushy job under Ralph?

Whaley is a new GM so his future as a GM is being set now. Making a stupid trade in desperation because it will save his job now doesn't help him if he's up for a job in the future.

He made the move because that was the move he deemed best, new owner or not.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Why would a GM behave differently?

As much as they say Whaley is in full control of football operations, I am pretty sure that is only 95% true. Russ obviously has input into football side, and Russ even said in Ralph's final days Ralph was talking about safties in the draft he liked, which suggests Ralph still gave input, even if it wasn't a deciding factor. If ralph were still alive, it wouldn't have surprised me if we wanted to be more conservative in not giving away a future first rounder, and Whaley and Russ taking his advice.

I don't think that this move was very much a desperate attempt to "win now" because of an ownership change is looming. The fact they traded away stevie, the most accomplished receiver on the roster for future draft pick, suggest they are not mortaging the future like some claim. They are doing what is best for the football team.

I don't think Ralph had much say in football operations leading up to his death, but he obvoiusly still gave his input. it wouldn't surprise me for him to knock down the watkins trade, especially if he went by Polian's model which was mostly conservative.

As much as they say Whaley is in full control of football operations, I am pretty sure that is only 95% true. Russ obviously has input into football side, and Russ even said in Ralph's final days Ralph was talking about safties in the draft he liked, which suggests Ralph still gave input, even if it wasn't a deciding factor. If ralph were still alive, it wouldn't have surprised me if we wanted to be more conservative in not giving away a future first rounder, and Whaley and Russ taking his advice.

I don't think that this move was very much a desperate attempt to "win now" because of an ownership change is looming. The fact they traded away stevie, the most accomplished receiver on the roster for future draft pick, suggest they are not mortaging the future like some claim. They are doing what is best for the football team.

I don't think Ralph had much say in football operations leading up to his death, but he obvoiusly still gave his input. it wouldn't surprise me for him to knock down the watkins trade, especially if he went by Polian's model which was mostly conservative.

HEY, How about a little love here!

respectfully, Jeff littman

The whole notion that Whaley is more aggressive to win now that there is new owner coming is drivel invented by the media and repeated ad nauseam. Whaley would still make that Watkins trade if Ralph were alive.

Media group think is a wonderful thing.

"Fifty-seven channels and nothin' on..."

Why would a GM behave differently?

Because circumstances change.

A 3 year window suddenly becomes a 2 year window with one year gone.

Not really hard to fathom why he would suddenly take on more risk.

Whaley is a new GM so his future as a GM is being set now. Making a stupid trade in desperation because it will save his job now doesn't help him if he's up for a job in the future.

The flaw in your logic is in bold.

Whaley is a GM NOW. The only thing that guarantees his future as a GM is to "win".

Failure to win could mean an end to his job as a GM now with no future guarantees he will get a second chance.

in short, most GMs get 3-5 years to prove themselves.

Out of sheer bad luck, Whaley only has 2 years, and one has passed already. Being conservative is not in his best interest as a future GM, IMO.

"Results-based, indeed. Some of the league's decision-makers have noticed the same trend: Patience in the NFL seems to be at an all-time low."

I said something similar to this last week and was ripped by a couple no named posters here for it when i said patience ended in the NFL with free agency.

I really like Whaley

Edited by Max997

Indeed, this is the current state of the League. Sadly, there have been many great teams in the past that crawled out of the cellar to credibility, only to fall back a step one year, then come out blazing. Our 9-7 team of '89 could be in this group. Today, Levy & staff might well have been on the unemployment line for that.

One aspect of the prevailing new world order in the League not discussed much is the now ever-changing coaching staffs below the HC. Tell me this doesn't negatively affect/effect a team and I'll call you nuts!

We all expect an improved team this coming season and next. It SHOULD happen. But a step back will most likely spell the end of Marrone and possibly Whaley, which would be a damn shame, IMO.

The truth of the situation is that in the NFL today if you don't have at least a very good QB you will struggle. This regime has basically gone all in with EJ and they will survive in Buffalo or be dumped according to the results achieved. I do think the staff gets a pass if the team does not make the playoffs but EJ emerges as a true quality QB. They cement their roles for another year or two if EJ plays well and they make the playoffs.

Pas always I am excited by the prospects of the next season. Hopefully, EJ is the real deal.

The truth of the situation is that in the NFL today if you don't have at least a very good QB you will struggle. This regime has basically gone all in with EJ and they will survive in Buffalo or be dumped according to the results achieved. I do think the staff gets a pass if the team does not make the playoffs but EJ emerges as a true quality QB. They cement their roles for another year or two if EJ plays well and they make the playoffs.

Pas always I am excited by the prospects of the next season. Hopefully, EJ is the real deal.

I think they have so much as announced it . " we are all in "

I like the attitude 100% . Even if they fail they will die storming the gate .

Go Bills FO !