Rick Reilly's Final Sports Column

He is not my favorite either... but it is sad that it won't be much longer before there is no vestiges of "old school" media left.

My dislike for Riley is based, by and large, for the fact that he has disparaged the 1990's Bills on a number of occaisions. In one of those NFL Films feautres he is on record as saying the 90's Bills Superbowl teams, and their accomplishiments were one of the most "overrated" things in the NFL history.

But hell, he isn't a Bills fan...I see it all the time around here from actual "Bills fans"...

He is not my favorite either... but it is sad that it won't be much longer before there is no vestiges of "old school" media left.

My dislike for Riley is based, by and large, for the fact that he has disparaged the 1990's Bills on a number of occaisions. In one of those NFL Films feautres he is on record as saying the 90's Bills Superbowl teams, and their accomplishiments were one of the most "overrated" things in the NFL history.

But hell, he isn't a Bills fan...I see it all the time around here from actual "Bills fans"...

...Well...if he said that....!@#$ him!

+10000

Nice piece.

Yeah Reilly could be a big douchebag, but he's also written some wonderful columns and wasn't afraid to go off the mainstream to find interesting and worthwhile things to write about. He will be missed.

Nice piece.

Yeah Reilly could be a big douchebag, but he's also written some wonderful columns and wasn't afraid to go off the mainstream to find interesting and worthwhile things to write about. He will be missed.

Agreed. I always enjoyed the SI last page, in spite of his Bills comments.

He was never as funny as he thought he was. But good for him that he can reboot at age 56.

Yes, I had that sense too...like he was a bit conscious of the fact that he was supposed to be some iconic great American sports-writer. I know it seems like I am bashing him ( I guess I am) but I can still like guys like Reilly, the fact that they exist, and write something as antiquated as a "sports column" is cool in my book...even if I don't always like what they have to say. It is why I always read Jerry Sullivan... Reilly was just terrible on ESPN, but I give him credit for trying....

I thought it was funny, a few months ago, when Reilly wrote a column defending the use of the name Redskins. He claimed, in the column, that his father in-law, a native American of some prestige and authority in one of the American Indian nations (sorry, can't remember which), said that the name was not offensive to him..and for Reilly, that was good enough for him...his father in-law flipped out, and wrote a letter that was published in a few places, admonishing his son in-law, claiming he was a poor listener. Here is a quote from the letter:

"So you can imagine my dismay when I saw my name and words used to defend the racist Washington Redskins name. My son-in-law, ESPN’s Rick Reilly, completely misunderstood the conversation we had, quoting me as saying “the whole issue is so silly. The name just doesn't bother me much. It's an issue that shouldn't be an issue, not with all the problems we've got in this country."

But that’s not what I said.

What I actually said is that “it’s silly in this day and age that this should even be a battle — if the name offends someone, change it.” He failed to include my comments that the term “redskins” demeans Indians, and historically is insulting and offensive, and that I firmly believe the Washington Redskins should change their name.

When Rick’s article came out, it upset me to be portrayed as an “Uncle Tom” in support of this racial slur. I asked him to correct the record. He has not, so I must do it myself."

Here is the Deadspin article on the subject:

Edited by Buftex

I can't believe he is only 56. He has been mailing it in for 15-20 years. 15 at least.

It's a shame. He was once the best and he just rested on his laurels forever. How the hell do you lose any desire to be good by the time you're 40.

If I remember right, he started sucking right after ESPN gave him an offer that would make him the first $1M sportswriter. He stayed at SI, but it must have all went to his head.

Agree. I never understood why espn.com would feature his stuff. Can't stand the guy, Bill Simmons has always been 1,000 times better.

Seriously? Simmons zoomed passed Reilly in the smug douchebag category a long time ago. And he was never 1/2 as good a writer in the first place.

Simmons is the classic example of a normal guy who was funny until he became too successful and started believing his own hype.

Simmons mailbags were solid gold for a while there. He might be falling off a little now as he has gotten huge at espn lately.

I just never took to Reilly, but I have zero interest in golf which seems to be his thing.

I'm a Simmons fan still, but I am a big basketball nerd which is his forte.