Is Hackett junior varsity?

finn

I kinda disagree about the defensive staff because we really don't know if Schwartz will be another Wannstedt or better then Pettine, which is what everyone expects to see. Just about everyone here thought Wannstedt was going to build a great D because of his storied history of coaching, and we all know how that turned out. This is the fourth DC for the Bills in four years. The defense does have way more established talent then the offense, and fan expectation for the defense is very high again this year. So, who really knows until the actual games begin.

I don't see any real hate for Hackett, but what I do see is some very concerned fans who want to see better results then 6-10. Pettine's defense would have been greatly helped had the Bills been able to keep the offense on the field longer then they did last year.

This year the Bills are talking about building a "power run scheme" with multiple TE's, RB's on the field at the same time for more blocking. While past stats show that Spiller is actually less effective with more blockers. My take is that was because his blockers were less then effective last year. This year the line should be better with a beast at RT in Cyrus Kouandjio, and here is hoping that OG Cyril Richardson also has an impact this year.

I wasn't here then, but that statement made me laugh out loud. Sorry. I never would have expected him to build a great NFL defense. You are saying most people here did? I have a hard time believing that especially with the level of skepticism that abounds about everything but I'll take your word for it. My friend is a Bears fan though and hates Wanny so I knew what were getting.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't here then, but that statement made me laugh out loud. Sorry. I never would have expected him to build a great NFL defense. You are saying most people here did? I have a hard time believing that especially with the level of skepticism that abounds about everything but I'll take your word for it. My friend is a Bears fan though and hates Wanny so I knew what were getting.

I think at that point we would have clung to anything.

There were some who were excited. It's interesting, though, the board's pessimists rarely recall their own input. Not everyone was thrilled. I wasn't.

He does have a youthful out look to the game which is good in some ways but he has yet to prove himself in the NFL .

But anyone that has had to follow in the foot steps of a successful father has it even harder to live up to expectations .

I think if he doesn't do something relevant this year with all the weapons he has we will have another OC & it should be the same on ST !

Crossman has a bunch of BS excuses for taking a top ST unit to the basement in just one season & he has our HC on his side ...

All I kept reading was how he has to be better then George Edwards. How the team was more suited to run a 4-3 D, and that was Wannstedt's strong point. Just about all I read here was how the Cowboys defense was so great with him as DC, and it was his defenses that beat the Bills in the 92-93 super bowls. Ex Bears HC, ex Dolphins DC / HC. blah, blah, blah.

Bills fans are always eternally optimistic this time of the year. Kinda why I said lets wait and see what Schwartz does before we canonize him.

All I kept reading was how he has to be better then George Edwards. How the team was more suited to run a 4-3 D, and that was Wannstedt's strong point. Just about all I read here was how the Cowboys defense was so great with him as DC, and it was his defenses that beat the Bills in the 92-93 super bowls. Ex Bears HC, ex Dolphins DC / HC. blah, blah, blah.

Bills fans are always eternally optimistic this time of the year. Kinda why I said lets wait and see what Schwartz does before we canonize him.

I guess the biggest difference being Schwartz has had success within one two decades of his hiring.

I kinda disagree about the defensive staff because we really don't know if Schwartz will be another Wannstedt or better then Pettine, which is what everyone expects to see. Just about everyone here thought Wannstedt was going to build a great D because of his storied history of coaching, and we all know how that turned out.

I recall the opinion was that people felt he was a good DC with experience, but had concerns that the game had passed him by and his schemes were too vanilla. I don't recall unbridled enthusiasm for him taking over.

It is depressing. I used to have a friend record games for me and send them in the mail, but that was years ago. I hear one can find games streaming online in real time (pirated), but I can't find them on game day. I do see replays of key plays on ESPN, but never whole games. Take it as a measure of my loyalty to the Bills that I've been following them very closely for decades while rarely watching more than two games a year (I'm in Pats* country). Maybe it is pathetic, clicking Refresh every five seconds, but there it is.

Thanks for the kind and informed replies.

Get a dish an buy the NFL package. I have been away from Buffalo for 15 years and have not missed a game let. Been in Louiville, Dallas and all over Carolina's.

Chris Trapasso@ChrisTrapasso 14s

OC Nate Hackett hints that pace of #Bills offense could be even faster this year than last (11:25 mark) http://bit.ly/1pIMtez cc:@evansilva

This of course scares me, thinking our D will be on the field the entire game.

:lol: I thought the same thing.

A fast pace only works if your team can drive down the field and score, and If not you are giving up the ball way to quickly. Which is exactly what killed them last year.

Oh really? So no other team does this? it's against the rules? I must have missed the memo on that one, because that is what many NFL teams do to counter the defense stacking the line against the run.

I remember saying--please run it again, we got a fourth stringer in there!-- My buddy to my left saying three seconds later-- you were right!