2014 Bills OTAs Part 2 (June 3rd - June 5th)

OTAs start back up today: Continued from the previous thread: http://forums.twobil...014-bills-otas/

Sammy Watkins will be back on the field today. Marrone to address the media about Dareus after today's activities.

OTAs critical for young players

For young players trying to make the roster, Organized Team Activities (OTAs) can be critical.

One week in the books. Two more weeks of OTAs to come.

The Bills are deep into the busy part of their offseason now. And while it’s difficult to convince fans that what happens on the practice field in May is critical to a NFL team’s success in the fall, OTAs can certainly help determine which players are on the roster in the fall.

OTAs critical for young players <14:17>

WHAM-TV Sports Director Mike Catalana calls-in to The John Murphy Show to discuss a variety of Bills related topics including the NFL Draft, EJ Manuel, and the ongoing Bills stadium debate.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ Manuel trained with Colin Kaepernick in offseason

"(I) worked out with Colin Kaepernick this offseason and just tried to follow his lead," Manuel said of how he improved in his time off.

Kaepernick is renown in NFL circles for his tenacious offseason work, so Manuel couldn't have picked a better workout mate.

Lets not freak out to much about that...all of the DL are vet guys

Whats wrong with Bryce Brown?

He was on the bike on Friday so must have tweaked something. Nothing else was reported that I know of.

Half our DL missing OTAs, awesome. Especially with a new defense (again).

Voluntary

Voluntary

So what if it's voluntary. The coaches are teaching the players their respective systems right now. Considering that the defense is changing schemes for the 5th year in a row (or is it 4th?), you'd think the players would take it seriously and show up. The ones that aren't, unless they have some serious events happening, are players I'm not a big fan of at the moment.

If these guys want to win as badly as they say they want to, they show up and put the work in.

@wgrzpete

Manuel taking snaps, looking sharp @WGRZ pic.twitter.com/O5Rb1I5vhx

Watkin's speed after catch is amazing. @WGRZ pic.twitter.com/5IzWtdSFij

Manuel hits Watkins on a 35 yard pass, incredible route by Sammy. #chemistry @WGRZ

Great pick by Ron Brooks @wgrz

Tuel hits Hogan for 40+ @WGRZ @TheBillsMafia

So what if it's voluntary. The coaches are teaching the players their respective systems right now. Considering that the defense is changing schemes for the 5th year in a row (or is it 4th?), you'd think the players would take it seriously and show up. The ones that aren't, unless they have some serious events happening, are players I'm not a big fan of at the moment.

If these guys want to win as badly as they say they want to, they show up and put the work in.

Not saying I disagree, but lots of former players talk about these like they aren't all that critical. So not sure how much of the system they are actually incorporating yet.

Not saying I disagree, but lots of former players talk about these like they aren't all that critical. So not sure how much of the system they are actually incorporating yet.

I feel like it's important for rookies/second year players, new players signed to the team, and anyone playing for a new system.

I can see why vets in established systems might not get much from it though. But if a scheme is changing, or you're on a new team, do the work, it's an important investment.

I feel like it's important for rookies/second year players, new players signed to the team, and anyone playing for a new system.

I can see why vets in established systems might not get much from it though. But if a scheme is changing, or you're on a new team, do the work, it's an important investment.

I would argue that OTAs are more important these days given the current CBA that mandates significantly less practice time for players

Let's let Kyle Williams, who knows a thing or two about the NFL and learning new defenses explain it to you.

He said, basically, "They're all the same."

If these guys know their position, and the game, and study the game, they can learn a new defense in a day or two. Completely. Especially defensive linemen.

These guys have all played in multiple systems and are professionals. They can pick up systems quickly.

In kinda related news....I was on a flight back from Chicago last week and DT Corbin Bryant ended up sitting in the aisle seat next to me. First thing the kid did was pull out his bills ipad and his notebook where he had written down plays and go over it for most of the plane ride. I hope he does well. This was a delayed flight that didn't take off until 11:30 pm and was close to 1 am by the we landed in buffalo.

He wasn't really all that talkative and just smiled and thanked me when I wished him luck. I was pretty suprised he sat in coach. He was definately uncomfortable all squeezed up into that tiny seat. Everytime he shifted about in his seat I thought the armrest would break!

Semi interesting edit: The pages in the notebook he kept going over were all labeled "stunts" from what I could see without creeping the guy out.

@JoeBuscaglia

#Bills trying both TE Lee Smith and C Macky MacPherson at long snapper today.

Please tell me they are not trying to replace our HOF long snapper!

Edited by BillsRUs