Dan Marino sues NFL over concussions, Update: Withdraws

With the support Marino has shown JK I was hoping that this type of post wouldn't make its way into this thread. The guy wore a Kelly Strong shirt fercryinoutloud.

I gotta admit: I was feeling all warm and fuzzy about Marino after seeing the pic of him in the Kelly Strong shirt at Terry Hills, and then he goes and does something like this...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Bruce Smith, when discussing the rapid increase in players' salaries, saying how they all knew they were sacrificing 20-25 years of their lives, and that they should be compensated for it. Guess that's one of the reasons why he is never mentioned in these lawsuits. That and the fact that he delivered a lot more concussions than he received.

@theMMQB

There's a new concussion-related lawsuit against the NFL, and Dan Marino is front and center. @SI_PeterKing's take: http://wp.me/p3Dw81-662

I disagree with everything King says about Marino's involvment in the suit giving it more significance. If anything, it makes it more of a joke than it already is (the class action suit for the same is in the process of being settled). No one will believe Marino is injured in any way at this point, so his piling on in this suit removes what little legitimacy it had. Also, his motives are clearly suspect since he is now unemployed.

Clown move.

I disagree with everything King says about Marino's involvment in the suit giving it more significance. If anything, it makes it more of a joke than it already is (the class action suit for the same is in the process of being settled). No one will believe Marino is injured in any way at this point, so his piling on in this suit removes what little legitimacy it had. Also, his motives are clearly suspect since he is now unemployed.

Clown move.

Agree plus he rarely got hit. Always threw the ball away to avoid contact. Bills were the only team to get to him.

Funny how he did this after he was no longer affiliated with the NFL/CBS.

Also, his motives are clearly suspect since he is now unemployed.

Well duh, would you sue your employer while still working there?

Edited by CodeMonkey

@EyeOnNFL

Dan Marino's lawsuit alleges that the NFL has known about 'the high incidence of concussions since the early 1970s.' http://cbsprt.co/1pBapk4

You can allege ANYTHING in a lawsuit. Proving it is another matter all together.

Well duh, would you sue your employer while still working there?

ppl sue their employers while employed all the time.

Unless Marino can show damages, not sure how he can bring a successful suit.

I guess he will never make money off the NFL any other way at this point....

That's the other thing in this suit, from what I've read, Marino can show no damages. Really, he is destroying the credibility of the suit and anyone with a legitimate claim. Total publicity stunt, and really, I'm a Marino fan and this is very disappointing to see from him.

He's suing the NFL not CBS.

correct, the prior posters point was that he did some work for the NFL network and would not sue while doing that. I don't recall him doing anything for the NFL network.

Really? That's unheard of...22 superior athletes on the field @ one time, smashing the sh*t out of each other, wearing fairly light pads. I can't believe they could possibly end up with any type of head injury.

captain_obvious5.jpg

Until he takes an interview from someone credible, where he provides why he is jumping into this now, and the extent of his personal issues, I'm not taking an opinion on him.

I know he's out of work, but he must be rich with everything he has done, and just because he is not on CBS, does not mean someone else in the sports network will not pick him up soon.

He could end up on the NFL network, Mad dog Radio, Fox Sports, NBC Sports, and so on. He was a decent analyst on Sundays, and fair minded in his opinions. He was the best in his day, just didn't have a great defense and run game to take him to the SB. He had the quickest release in football.

Dan Marino to withdraw concussion lawsuit against NFL: http://www.sun-senti...,0,395274.story

Interesting find. Thanks for posting. This will take this story away.

With the support Marino has shown JK I was hoping that this type of post wouldn't make its way into this thread. The guy wore a Kelly Strong shirt fercryinoutloud.

Really?

I am rather mystified by these responses.

I am sure that both of you are aware that I was quoting a well-known screwball comedy

On this same thread, Mr. Marino's toughness and integrity was questioned by others, but apparently my attempt at humor was too much.

Dan Marino deserves much praise for his strong support of Jim Kelly, but to suggest that this makes him immune from any Bills/Dolphins joshing is really a over-reaction..................imo

I am rather mystified by these responses.

I am sure that both of you are aware that I was quoting a well-known screwball comedy

On this same thread, Mr. Marino's toughness and integrity was questioned by others, but apparently my attempt at humor was too much.

Dan Marino deserves much praise for his strong support of Jim Kelly, but to suggest that this makes him immune from any Bills/Dolphins joshing is really a over-reaction..................imo

It was a whoosh for me.

Dan's quick dick-out from this suit proves everything King said was wrong.

Obviously the backlash proved the public clearly would not be swayed positively towards the suit because of Marino's bizarre involvement.