Speculation on Larry Page, CEO of Google as potential bidder

I agree that it certainly doesn't "sound" safe like Golisano, but Sal insinuates he knows or has heard something that in his mind does make it safe. Interesting stuff.

On one hand it would be interesting for the 6 years we have left. They would spend to the cap and have the best of the best. But I don't trust that they will give a crap about us in 2020. Once that lease is up they are outta here. Silicon Valley and Buffalo, NY just don't go together. They might talk a big game (they have to fill the seats until the lease runs out) but I don't think we can trust it

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one hand it would be interesting for the 6 years we have left. They would spend to the cap and have the best of the best. But I don't trust that they will give a crap about us in 2020. Once that lease is up they are outta here. Silicon Valley and Buffalo, NY just don't go together. They might talk a big game (they have to fill the seats until the lease runs out) but I don't think we can trust it

This would be my fear as well, given that he is trying to get into Goodell's hip pocket and might jolt for Canada or London with all the money and be a pioneer of the international NFL or something.

The NFL is a money maker anywhere.

This is true. About 2/3 of all NFL revenue comes from the massive TV contracts (last year about $5 billion), which are expected to increase year-over-year through 2022. Every team is profitable due to the TV money.

Just asking here - why do you think he'd be sold the team if he presents no long-term guarantee to the trust?

From an interview Ralph gave in 2005:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2005/05/20050516/Other-News/In-Profile-Bills-Owner-Ralph-Wilson.aspx

No matter the outcome of the NFL revenue issue, Wilson said he is committed to keeping the team in Buffalo during his lifetime. His family is not interested in owning the team when, as Wilson quips, he heads upstairs, so he cannot say what fate holds for the Bills at that point.

Wilson asked his lawyer if his estate could require a buyer to keep the team in Buffalo but was informed that would be illegal. So he is left hoping that a future acquirer will be as committed as he to the region.

1. Article doesn't say why his lawyer thought it would be illegal, so it's hard to evaluate whether Ralph ever got a different legal opinion later.

2. Ralph gave a lot of money to charity during his lifetime. It's reasonable to assume that he may have made some charities beneficiaries of the trust. If he did that, and IF he gave them a percentage of the estate's value rather than a specific dollar amount, then assuming the reports that Mary Wilson and Mary Owens are two of the four trustees are true, the Marys have a fiduciary responsibility to maximize the value of the estate for ALL beneficiaries.

3. Hypothetically, let's say Ralph's trust says that 5% of his estate should be paid out to some research hospital to search for better cancer treatments. The Marys would then have a legal obligation to take the highest bid that other NFL owners would approve. And if the reports that the other 2 trustees are lawyers are true, those other two trustees will understand that in this hypothetical scenario, they would have a legal obligation to veto any sale that failed to maximize what the trust received from selling the team.

4. I have no idea what Ralph's trust actually says. But given his history of charitable contributions during his lifetime, I would not be surprised to learn that it directs some funds to worthwhile causes.

Just my 2 lira - - could be wrong.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

The Clippers just sold for 2 billion dollars what do you think an NFL team in Los Angeles would bring?

Sad to say it sports fans but there is no way in hell Mary Wilson is going to turn down a 2 Billion dollar offer to sell the team to a new owner, who moves the team to L.A. in a few years.

If it was any of us, We'd all take the 2 Billion, move to some place warm and have umbrella drinks all day long.

Edited by oman128

He's got 30 Billion in the bank, Erie County gets 400 million in walk away money,sure they are going to take it, after putting up a modest fight to say they tried.

400 million for infrastructure, schools, bridges, roads, expand the Metro, cut taxes.

come on $400 million to a WNY government, that will take all of 3 seconds to spend and what will WNY have for it? Not much as waste is the only way the operate. Cut taxes, you are on drugs thinking a politician will cut taxes in NYS.

Maybe he's looking to help bump up the % of black Google employees.

Only 2% of Google employees are black

By Associated Press

http://nypost.com/20...male-workforce/

well it's not like just anyone can walk off the streets and work at google. I bet they have a high percentage of Asians. I've got a master degree and I know I'm not qualified to work for that company. I don't think race is the issue for google hiring, I have a feeling qualifications is the key.

A guy who grew up in Michigan and lives in California is a 'dream owner' for the Bills??

What am I missing?

We did have a owner who grew up in Detroit and lived in Florida (partially)....Not far fetched!! and kept the team in Buffalo.

No question that this owner would actually build a team that could compete with the Robert Kraft NE Patriots. Kraft and his 3 billion net worth pales in comparison to Page and his 32.3 billion.

Can we envision a "Jerry world" type stadium near Buffalo...a super bowl in Buffalo?

He's got 30 Billion in the bank, Erie County gets 400 million in walk away money,sure they are going to take it, after putting up a modest fight to say they tried.

400 million for infrastructure, schools, bridges, roads, expand the Metro, cut taxes graft.

Fixed.

All Bills players helmets will be equipped with Google Glass visors that tell players what they need to know: pass trajectories, open receivers, who has the ball on fakes, etc. I like it.

On a side note: anyone who thinks the Bills will be sold at their valuation price of $850MM is in for shock.

I think our QB may have Google Glass knees!

Or better yet keeps the team here and decides he likes the area. Realizes the educational institutions in the area and the cost of living then decides to build/open a few east coast offices to the google empire and brings 5-10k technical jobs to the area.

It could happen.

Not impossible at all. Google has facilities all over the world including 29 in the US with several on the east coast. But they tend to stick to large and/or popular cities such as NYC (which has ~3k employees). Buffalo NY, being currently as well as historically a blue collar low tech area would be a very long shot I would think. Rochester might have a outside chance though.

Edited by CodeMonkey

https://player.fm/se...ock-draft-17-21

Chris Sacca - venture capitalist from Lockport, went to Buff State. Former Head of Special Initiatives of Google and investor in Twitter.

Graham's discussion on Sacca starts at 18:51 of this link. TG's whole interview starts at 09:11, but considering it is from early May it is mostly outdated info on the other names.

http://www.buffalone...-sacca-20131107

Uber now valued at $17.5B after new round of financing. Sacca was an early investor. Guy seems to have magic touch. Would love a young, energetic owner with ties to WNY.

Uber now valued at $17.5B after new round of financing. Sacca was an early investor. Guy seems to have magic touch. Would love a young, energetic owner with ties to WNY.

I started following him on Twitter. He is a big Bills/Sabres fan. But also a big LA Kings fan and lives on the West Coast (not sure exactly where in CA). I hate any ties to LA but agree he is intriguing as an owner prospect. Odd that TG brought up his name on PFT and, to my knowledge, it has not been spoken of since.