Why are there eight (8) guards on the roster - depth chart

San-O

I could agree but I think you'll agree with me on this. We haven't seen Kouandjio. We've seen him in college and we have seen his projections and stats on paper. But, until we see Kouandjio its hard to see him beating anyone.

Hairston and Pears are two very amazing players. Imagine taking their talent and putting them in the bodies of former Bill Mike Williams or Langston Walker. That'd be something. They have so much promise but so little reality. Here's to hoping!

Chances of this also being a bad thing???

Let the 3rd stringers finish the games and all, but if we go every preseason game changing the starting lineup to fine tune too much. Hopefully our starting lineup is clear by the end of our 3rd preseason game.

I can agree on that point. I guess right now you could call Hairston/Pears penciled in at starting RT and OTA's/TC will indicate whether or not Kouandjio gets bumped.

I don't think it is a bad thing to have that many players. I think by the time we get to the 2nd preseason game we should know who's where (also considering we have the HOF game).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Said Dick Jueron, or was that Greg Williams?

Was actually about CBs and was Dick's but then 2 or 3 years later Nix said almost the exact same thing.

I for one am kind of excited that they built up the Oline this draft and FA, should be good camp battles.

Edited by bowery4

"You can never have enough guards."

I think this is it exactly. I don't think OBD was happy with our guard play last year.

And I don't think at this moment Whaley knows who will start at guard, or who will be cut. He does know that more competition at the position is likely to make the team better.

A couple of things:

-Richardson may very well be the best guard on the roster now. He was selected because he was BPA. The former All-American was looked at as a 1st rounder just a few months back. He may not be starting immediately but will be soon enough.

-One other reason may be because there isn't depth a center. I think that they probably keep 4 guards (Urbik, Williams, Richardson and Unga). Urbik will also serve as the backup center.

Agreed!

This.

I think the bills probably look at Unga, McClain, and colling (and asper) as one guy. They are probably all competing for one spot.

Agreed!

Why not? Urbik and Williams are the penciled-in starters, while the Bills probably hope Cyril will push hard for playing time this year and possibly parlay that into a starting role sooner rather than later. I would imagine Legursky is cut at some point without serious offseason improvement, and Unga, McClain and Colling are camp fodder.

Asper is intriguing because he was a long lost Bills 6th rounder who spent time on two other teams before resigning. I believe he played some Center is college which may bode well for depth, but I would imagine he's got a steep road ahead of him.

Asper can play Center. Him or Urbik I believe or the only options for back up Center.

Legursky has good value in that he is a proven veteran who can provide stability should the ship start to sink. With a tenured resume in the league and the ability to play both Guard positions and Center he provides an option should there be an injury or lack of chemistry with the line. If all goes extremely well or extremely bad Cyrl Richardson and Cyrus Kouandjio could be starting by December.

Meanwhile, at least in the immediate future Chris Williams and Kraig Urbik start at the OG position with Richardson backing up both positions. There is little reason to believe they cut Seantrel Hendeson but they could try to get him the PS.

At the end of the first day we already have Erik Pears and Doug Legursky looking from the outside in and Legursky likely getting the pass because of the ability to play everywhere inside and OC.

Figure our depth chart to look like this:

Cordy Glenn / Cyrus Kouandjio

Chris Williams / Doug Legursky

Eric Wood / Doug Legursky

Kraig Urbik / Cyril Richardson

Chris Hairston / Cyrus Kouandjio / Seantrell Henderson

----

Nine (9) OL on the roster, for those keeping track.

There is an off chance Henderson is put on the practice squad and Erik Pears kept on the immediate roster, at least short term.

I strongly don't think Legursky will be on the roster!

Agreed!

Agreed!

Asper can play Center. Him or Urbik I believe or the only options for back up Center.

I strongly don't think Legursky will be on the roster!

It will depend a lot upon Richardson. If Richardson can supplant Urbik at LG early on and hold the position then Urbik becomes the backup OG and OC.

Valid question, but very easy answer. 8 guards isn't all that many when you consider other moves the Bills have made in the offseason. First, they shored up what I feel was the weakest position on the team in linebacker by signing Keith Rivers and Brandon Spikes. They backed that up in the draft with the pickup of Preston Brown. The later LB pick adds more depth, but clearly they don't have a need at linebacker to tinker all that much. At QB, we're obviously all in with E.J. The Bryce Brown pickup adds even more depth to the crowded backfield at RB. They're also obviously very young but with a lot of talent in the receiving group. hat leaves in my mind the second biggest weakness of this team last year in offensive line. They were terrible at moving the pile and creating space in the running game. The Chris Williams add in free agency was great, but why not back it up with Richardson, who has upside that's through the roof? I think as this roster is pared down, that the guard position will be one where there will be cuts early. I think Kouandjio will be the starter at RT out of the gates, but why not draft another one late? Pears and Hairston are servicable at best.

8 is enough

Urbik stays he is either a starter or top reserve at guard and center

Williams starts, you can find metrics that put him as a good solid player to a disater. Should be fun to see, I bet he will be above average.

Richardson is the wildcard

one of the rest will be there until the last cut and will have to sweet it out

Hairston and Henderson play will probably dictate weather they keep 8 or 9 olineman

Really, guard takes up nearly 10% of your starting lineup (2/22) and it's one of our most up in the air spots on ours. That our current group is at 10% isn't crazy - especially since we were even lower before a good prospect slid to us

Edited by NoSaint

Really, guard takes up nearly 10% of your starting lineup (2/22) and it's one of our most up in the air spots on ours. That our current group is at 10% isn't crazy - especially since we were even lower before a good prospect slid to us

Excellent point. By those odds, we should actually expect there to be 9 guards on the roster instead of 8. I.e. 90 players right now is the limit, so 10% of that would be 9. The team is actually LIGHT at the position.

Excellent point. By those odds, we should actually expect there to be 9 guards on the roster instead of 8. I.e. 90 players right now is the limit, so 10% of that would be 9. The team is actually LIGHT at the position.

Figure that didnt count things like kickers and such too.... but it certainly makes 8 look pretty reasonable regardless of if it's just a shade high or low - it's definitely not looking noteworthy either way.

Edited by NoSaint

Lot's of good comments and interesting points: including depth and backup takes.

I guess knowing you have Urbik and the newly signed Williams certainly as starters and 5th rd. draft Richardson,

you might expect the starters to get as many reps. as possible as two new O-line starters and these guys have never played together.

J.J. Unga?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._J._Unga

http://www.nfl.com/p...2541759/profile

Edited by San-O

It will depend a lot upon Richardson. If Richardson can supplant Urbik at LG early on and hold the position then Urbik becomes the backup OG and OC.

This is close to what i suppose. Urbik is a better option at BU center then Legursky who is probably not playing for the Bills much longer.

He also might return to better form with an upgraded surrounding cast.

I really wonder what Bills think about Pears this year . Since tackle has been brought up . That side seemed to stuggle in the pass and run games . If Hairston is truly healthy he is probably a better swing tackle and cheaper than E Pears.

But i think thats very true J. Can/will Richardson take over a guard spot ? and which one . should be interesting . Unga is a wildcard for me . no idea except size is right

This is close to what i suppose. Urbik is a better option at BU center then Legursky who is probably not playing for the Bills much longer.

He also might return to better form with an upgraded surrounding cast.

I really wonder what Bills think about Pears this year . Since tackle has been brought up . That side seemed to stuggle in the pass and run games . If Hairston is truly healthy he is probably a better swing tackle and cheaper than E Pears.

But i think thats very true J. Can/will Richardson take over a guard spot ? and which one . should be interesting . Unga is a wildcard for me . no idea except size is right

I just noticed you have moved Urbik to left guard ?

o Unga is listed as 27 years old, has never started a game in the NFL, and was on the Ravens practice squad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._J._Unga

o Antoine McClain has also never started a game in the NFL, and was also on the Ravens practice squad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_McClain

Any of our current/ previous personnel guys from the Ravens? :huh: