Senators Urge N.F.L. to Act on Redskins’ Name

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the point of genocide if you can't monetize the imagery or the slang of the vanquished? I will say this however, if they do change the name they should use something more appropriate to their zip code. The Washington Whores or the Washington Traitors has a ring to it since the current name bothers congress so much.

I don't care if 100% of Native Americans are offended by it, or 100% of the entire population. I don't care if the team is named the Richmond N-words. I don't give one whirlygig what a name says and no one else should, either. It's when you believe the name means something and holds something to it...yeah.

#hypocrisyisawesome.

So, is your post supposed to mean something? Or, is it just a random pile of letters scattered on a page?

That offends me, I'm an American and I don't want any association with that team, implied or otherwise.

Haha fair enough

Regardless of your opinion of the offensiveness of the name, the government has no business getting involved.

Disagree 10000000%. The public funds so much for these franchises. The NFL is also tax exempt. If you're going to take those advantages you're going to follow some rules. Not being racist should be one of them.

Regardless of your opinion of the offensiveness of the name, the government has no business getting involved.

As ExiledinIllinois pointed out, they are the Washington Redskins, as in Washington DC. If the team weren't in their own city, I would agree with you. But, as residents of the city, I think they have every right to express their opinion.

As ExiledinIllinois pointed out, they are the Washington Redskins, as in Washington DC. If the team weren't in their own city, I would agree with you. But, as residents of the city, I think they have every right to express their opinion.

But the senators aren't residents of the city. They just work there. Not to mention the fact that many of them don't even stay in the city when they are in session.

too bad they(the senate) didnt take up the V A bill that the house sent to them.. sorting out and solving the V A mess strikes me as a tad more important than the freakin "redskins" name..

What, you mean you expect the Senate to actually do its job and tackle a real problem? That's too hard. Besides, its an election year, and how better to gain some support for the party than to stir up some good, old fashioned manufactured outrage.

Edited by Brandon

This is one of the most childish things I've ever seen.

Also, let's stop playing with percentages. "90% of Native Americans polled don't find the term offensive..." Well, they're admitting that 10% polled DO find it offensive. That's 300,000 in the US alone. You're okay with offending 300,000 people?

But let's me be honest... It's more than 10%. Realistically I'd bet it's more like 20-30% which would be between 600,000 to 1,000,000 people.

What, you mean you expect the Senate to actually do its job and tackle a real problem? That's too hard. Besides, its an election year, and how better to gain some support for the the party than to stir up some good, old fashioned manufactured outrage.

because Congresses job is to tell private businesses what to do... brilliant.

Learn2Government. This would be Judicial, then Executive, unless of course the current government is an example of willynilly breaking the Constitution to implement its own version... then, par for the course.

Haha fair enough

Disagree 10000000%. The public funds so much for these franchises. The NFL is also tax exempt. If you're going to take those advantages you're going to follow some rules. Not being racist should be one of them.

Nothing has proven less likely than this. Racism cannot be legislated away. Nor can protected speech, however.

This is more meaningless and completely cynical wasting of time and your tax money by our elected officials.

they're not random, i made sure to use the entire alphabet, even a digit.

I didn't expect everyone to understand my sarcasm. Your post suggested that words should be limited in their meaning, stripped of the ability to offend. Your statement that, "I don't give one whirlygig what a name says and no one else should, either." implies that there is no excuse for someone to place enough meaning in a title, that it could convey something offensive. Which, in turn, implies that words should not have the ability to offend. So, where do you draw the line? How much meaning should words have the ability to communicate?

But the senators aren't residents of the city. They just work there. Not to mention the fact that many of them don't even stay in the city when they are in session.

Does that mean that I don't have the right to express my opinions about the Bills because I am from Rochester?