How is Brandon doing and what will happen to him with new owner ?

Russ Brandon  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give Russ Brandon as an executive with the Bills ?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  2. 2. What will happen to Russ Brandon when the Bills have a new owner ?

• Keep him at his current position as President/CEO
    • Retain him, but with significantly less power and responsibility
    • Fire him outright

I can't blame someone for questioning the people who have presided over this team since 1999. I am just amazed that enthusiasm rides as high as it does without a winning season or 2 to prop us up.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

By your initial post you stated that Russ is to blame for the state of the Franchise, thereby those who Drafted the Rookies and thereby, the team is in shambles because of RB's inability to effectively run the BILLS organization....so as the Rookies arrive, it's pessimism and negativity they are embraced with, rather than understanding things truly started turning in 2011 when Nix had his first real Draft and RB started having the final word on all things BILLS related in January 2013, so since that time, the BILLS are building something good to great, maybe even special, and see that future and paint that picture for the Rookies rather than RB is an inept executive who will ruin your career and this team....

Wow that's quite a stretch your trying to make, especially since I never mentioned my opinion of this year's draft. Not that you asked, but, I'll offer it anyway. For the most part, I like our draft, I think rounds 2-5 were very good. I don't like Seantrel in the 7th because I think he can do more harm than good to the team. I thought we over paid for Watkins, although I think he was the best WR in draft, you don't give up 2 1's for anything but QB, and even though RB wouldn't admit it, I think it was a move born out of fear for his job. I like the Brown trade, but didn't like the rumor we were trying to move up into round 2 for a RB, if that was the case, what were we going to give up, 2015's 2nd ? -- that would have been scary.

Wow that's quite a stretch your trying to make, especially since I never mentioned my opinion of this year's draft. Not that you asked, but, I'll offer it anyway. For the most part, I like our draft, I think rounds 2-5 were very good. I don't like Seantrel in the 7th because I think he can do more harm than good to the team. I thought we over paid for Watkins, although I think he was the best WR in draft, you don't give up 2 1's for anything but QB, and even though RB wouldn't admit it, I think it was a move born out of fear for his job. I like the Brown trade, but didn't like the rumor we were trying to move up into round 2 for a RB, if that was the case, what were we going to give up, 2015's 2nd ? -- that would have been scary.

????

Good post, I understand your perspective, I don't agree with it, but understand how you could look at the situation from that POV. In my mind, there comes a point when a lot of little things, and a lot of non-direct control negatives leads to needing to make a change. I'm disappointed you chose to end your post with "witch hunt" and "half truths", I thought that was an unnecessary low blow. Unless you work for the Bills, all our information is based on partial information. As for witch hunt, I am simply stating my opinion, defending it and asking others to do the same.

Turned down the job.

I apologize if it came across as a low blow. I do have a grasp of the inter workings of the franchise. My posts weren't rooted in conjecture but in my experience. I am not trying to come across as rude but I take offense when people are attacked unfairly (which I felt was the case). His fingerprints are all over this franchise now and in the next year-2 we will be able to accurately judge. I do apologize for coming across as a jerk.

I apologize if it came across as a low blow. I do have a grasp of the inter workings of the franchise. My posts weren't rooted in conjecture but in my experience. I am not trying to come across as rude but I take offense when people are attacked unfairly (which I felt was the case). His fingerprints are all over this franchise now and in the next year-2 we will be able to accurately judge. I do apologize for coming across as a jerk.

No problem. As I've said, I have a lot of respect for your posts, and a lot of others on this board, even when I don't agree with them.

????

Nobody denies Seantrel's athletic potential, but with Kuoandjio and Richardson in hand, the Bills didn't need to roll dice on a character issue, under performing OT in the 7th -- it wasn't about the draft pick, I wouldn't have signed him as a UFA. I just don't like what the guy brings with him in terms of baggage. Hopefully, he'll be a changed man, and if not, he gets cut quickly and without issue.

No problem. As I've said, I have a lot of respect for your posts, and a lot of others on this board, even when I don't agree with them.

Nobody denies Seantrel's athletic potential, but with Kuoandjio and Richardson in hand, the Bills didn't need to roll dice on a character issue, under performing OT in the 7th -- it wasn't about the draft pick, I wouldn't have signed him as a UFA. I just don't like what the guy brings with him in terms of baggage. Hopefully, he'll be a changed man, and if not, he gets cut quickly and without issue.

If he doesn't tow the line, he'll be gone. Given the low investment of a 7th round selection, there is no chance he does any harm to the team. This is his one and only shot at the NFL.

You know the same witch trial is going on at SabreSpace over Terry Pegula. What is it about Buffalo sports fans that they feel the need to turn on people who are trying to do good?

And I forgot to mention UB athletic director Danny White in this post. Doing great work advancing UB athletics yet he still has a small group of irate local fans who find evil intent in every one of his moves.

And I forgot to mention UB athletic director Danny White in this post. Doing great work advancing UB athletics yet he still has a small group of irate local fans who find evil intent in every one of his moves.

I was going for incompetent and/or underachieving, not EVIL. I think Brandon is very pro-WNY and that's good. I think like most executives, he's self-centered and self-promoting, which is what I'd expect from almost everyone in that job, so, I don't fault him on that front. Edited by TXBILLSFAN

I thought it time to reassess our self-proclaimed "marketing genius" and GRADE his performance as a key executive with the Buffalo Bills and what we think will happen to him once there is a new owner ?

My first issue with Brandon is this, he joined the Bills in 1997, approximately 17 years ago and has been with the franchise for the entire 15 year playoff drought. He has been a high level executive the past 8+ years (since 2006), yet, in the last couple of press conferences he seems hell bent on pointing out to people that he has been in charge since January 2013, implying no culpability for the franchise's poor performance for the decade prior, it's an old marketing trick to try and rebrand a failing product, in this case, the failing product is Russ himself. Nice try Russ, but I'm not buying it, grade: D.

He's had autonomy since January, 2013. Still, even when he was "GM", he didn't make a single personnel-related decision. He's not deflecting responsibility, just stating facts. He's been in charge nearly a year and a half.

2- The Toronto series was his idea and it has failed miserably and the games themselves have been an embarrassment. I don't buy the notion that the series enabled the Bills to expand into the Southern Ontario market, they could have done that with effective marketing and promotion without sending a game north of the border, grade: D.

The Toronto series generated in excess of $80m in revenues. That is anything but a failure. And while I agree that other marketing strategies may have resulted in the same spike in ticket holders from S. Ontario, there was a spike none the less. Kudos to Brandon for realizing the negative impact of the Toronto series from a competitive standpoint and re-examining the issue.

3- Cap management. This might be the worst area of performance. First, under spending the cap over the past few years and signing contracts that have been colossal failures. Second, how can a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years have the MOST DEAD MONEY of any NFL team in 2014 ? Bad financial management, grade: F.

No doubt there have been some personnel blunders. But I also have to credit management for seeing this error and purging the roster of poor talent even though they had to carry dead money to do so. Not to do so, would have been just hanging on to poor players while making it harder to upgrade the roster at those positions. That's a good thing.

4- Stadium. While I love the fact that the lease prevents the team from moving for 10 years, why wasn't there any foresight 5 years ago that this franchise needed a new stadium ? We should be in the process of building a new stadium as we search for a new owner instead of scrambling to get our ducks in a row to prove that we'll be able to do it to ensure a new owner keeps the team, an A for short term an F for long term.

Mr. Wilson was adamant that there be NO new stadium, period. He was in favor of renovations instead. The new stadium is all about the new owner moving forward and keeping the team viable in this market.

5- Performance on the field, grade: D-.

Some might consider that generous. Performance on the field has been an abject failure even though there have been some entertaining times.

6- PR (Jills lawsuit, website leak and text message lawsuit), I know they are all trivial, but all blemishes nonetheless, grade: D.

You admit it's trivial, so this is nothing more than nitpicking for the sake of piling on.

All in all, I'd have to give your post a D-.

GO BILLS!!!

How is that a stretch?? You blamed RB for the state of the Franchise...and considering one of your major b*tches was to blame RB for players who left Buffalo, who were Drafted by Buffalo, and that Buffalo hasn't been winning in quite some time, I'd say it was YOUR overgeneralized approach to how much RB sucks that introduces anything and everything related to the BILLS that leads directly back to RB, especially when it was one of your overgeneralized points specifically: "5- Performance on the field, grade: D-."....I would say since players are Drafted and the players play the game, it is directly related. Not my fault you weren't more specific as to what aspects of 'performance on the field' you were alluding to....

How is that a stretch?? You blamed RB for the state of the Franchise...and considering one of your major b*tches was to blame RB for players who left Buffalo, who were Drafted by Buffalo, and that Buffalo hasn't been winning in quite some time, I'd say it was YOUR overgeneralized approach to how much RB sucks that introduces anything and everything related to the BILLS that leads directly back to RB, especially when it was one of your overgeneralized points specifically: "5- Performance on the field, grade: D-."....I would say since players are Drafted and the players play the game, it is directly related. Not my fault you weren't more specific as to what aspects of 'performance on the field' you were alluding to....

I said "performance on field", last I checked NONE of the rookies has played a down in the NFL. Hope that's clearer. I am not blaming the rookies, they are hopefully part of the solution to the on-the field lack of success. Oh, BTW, what's your beef with TEXAS ?

I said "performance on field", last I checked NONE of the rookies has played a down in the NFL. Hope that's clearer. I am not blaming the rookies, they are hopefully part of the solution to the on-the field lack of success. Oh, BTW, what's your beef with TEXAS ?

It was more just a matter of being a smart-ass, although it did steal a pair of my best friends....nah, he and his wife got a phenomenal job offer and they relocated, don't blame them a bit. Very happy for them, selfishly, I was sad b/c they're such great people and both me and my wife got along with them and really had a tight bond with them and it just sucked losing them....good for them, bad for us...but, they're doing great!

And yes, you said "performance on the field", but all of those players were Rookies at one point, so the new Rookies are just as much on the hook for RB's determined success as last year's and the year's before, by your logic...so, instead of giving them a brand new, fresh start, by your statements and reasoning, they're all ready screwed b/c RB doesn't know what the hell he's doing and is ruining this team....it sound proposterous, it's supposed to...that's my point.

Cmon. He has been ceo for more than 6 years. I'm not going to buy that he couldn't truly call the shots until 2013. He was given the keys to the Ferrari. No way he isn't going to participate in the football stuff. Any one of us would. Shots from the war room show him front and center with materials in front of him. Meeting with coaching candidates... is he asking them about potential sponsorship partners or what style fleece to order for the store?

I will also say the levitre uncontested non sign with zero replacement reeks of business as usual as does the mishandling of the Byrd situation. Also why wax poetic about being all in to win then a couple months later sign another toronto deal? Then postpone it (still unsure which party initiated that).

Anyways. I am optimistic about this roster though and if they are a playoff team, it changes things

Cmon. He has been ceo for more than 6 years. I'm not going to buy that he couldn't truly call the shots until 2013. He was given the keys to the Ferrari. No way he isn't going to participate in the football stuff. Any one of us would. Shots from the war room show him front and center with materials in front of him. Meeting with coaching candidates... is he asking them about potential sponsorship partners or what style fleece to order for the store?

I will also say the levitre uncontested non sign with zero replacement reeks of business as usual as does the mishandling of the Byrd situation. Also why wax poetic about being all in to win then a couple months later sign another toronto deal? Then postpone it (still unsure which party initiated that).

Anyways. I am optimistic about this roster though and if they are a playoff team, it changes things

No offense here--a few of the things you're saying just aren't correct.

He didn't have control over football operations prior to 2013; I'm not sure what there is to "buy" about that. He didn't have the "keys to the Ferrari"; if we're to use a metaphor, I'd say he had the keys to the surveillance room that shows whether or not the Ferrari is in the garage. If you want to talk about since 2013, then yes, he has the keys now.

As for Levitre, it was most certainly not uncontested, as they definitely reached out to his agent during his final season and were rebuffed. This was reported:

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/6/12/3081444/andy-levitre-contract-talks-buffalo-bills

No offense here--a few of the things you're saying just aren't correct.

He didn't have control over football operations prior to 2013; I'm not sure what there is to "buy" about that. He didn't have the "keys to the Ferrari"; if we're to use a metaphor, I'd say he had the keys to the surveillance room that shows whether or not the Ferrari is in the garage. If you want to talk about since 2013, then yes, he has the keys now.

As for Levitre, it was most certainly not uncontested, as they definitely reached out to his agent during his final season and were rebuffed. This was reported:

http://www.buffaloru...s-buffalo-bills

You and facts....Jesus...it's a love affair that just won't end. Please, it's an f'ing conspiracy! Can't you see it??!!! the little people with tin foil hats will NOT allow the BILLS to be successful, RB is a plant from another NFL team, intending on destroying the BILLS!!! Damn man, get it together... :doh:

Nice straw man.

I guess the ceo of the franchise hasn't been "allowed" to do anything for 6 years. Ok cool. Wonder why he was wining and dining Mario Williams pre 2013. Surprised a 92 year old ralph wilson and littman didn't send the gestapo

Nice straw man.

I guess the ceo of the franchise hasn't been "allowed" to do anything for 6 years. Ok cool. Wonder why he was wining and dining Mario Williams pre 2013. Surprised a 92 year old ralph wilson and littman didn't send the gestapo

I'm the one straw-manning? That's hilarious.

Buddy Nix wanted to go after Mario Williams, so Russ pitched in on the effort. The real straw man argument would be someone trying to use the fact that Russ went to dinner as "proof" that he was puling the strings on the franchise prior to being named Team President in 2013.

He wasn't.

There are certain things that can be debated, and others that are simply true or untrue. Russ having complete control over whole organizational (or football) decisions simply wasn't true prior to 2013. When he was granted control of the team, he acted quickly to usher out Nix and promote Whaley (if not in name immediately), revamp the scouting department, etc. Even if we're to ignore the world of multiple people in the know, does that not strike you as a shift in power?

It was more just a matter of being a smart-ass, although it did steal a pair of my best friends....nah, he and his wife got a phenomenal job offer and they relocated, don't blame them a bit. Very happy for them, selfishly, I was sad b/c they're such great people and both me and my wife got along with them and really had a tight bond with them and it just sucked losing them....good for them, bad for us...but, they're doing great!

And yes, you said "performance on the field", but all of those players were Rookies at one point, so the new Rookies are just as much on the hook for RB's determined success as last year's and the year's before, by your logic...so, instead of giving them a brand new, fresh start, by your statements and reasoning, they're all ready screwed b/c RB doesn't know what the hell he's doing and is ruining this team....it sound proposterous, it's supposed to...that's my point.

Got it -- but, I actually like the rookie class, only BIG issue with draft if what we gave up for next year, which is significant.

Texas has it's good and bad, believe it or not, the weather sucks here more than WNY --- except, of course in Dec, Jan and Feb