How is Brandon doing and what will happen to him with new owner ?

Russ Brandon  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What grade do you give Russ Brandon as an executive with the Bills ?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
  2. 2. What will happen to Russ Brandon when the Bills have a new owner ?

• Keep him at his current position as President/CEO
    • Retain him, but with significantly less power and responsibility
    • Fire him outright

I thought it time to reassess our self-proclaimed "marketing genius" and GRADE his performance as a key executive with the Buffalo Bills and what we think will happen to him once there is a new owner ?

My first issue with Brandon is this, he joined the Bills in 1997, approximately 17 years ago and has been with the franchise for the entire 15 year playoff drought. He has been a high level executive the past 8+ years (since 2006), yet, in the last couple of press conferences he seems hell bent on pointing out to people that he has been in charge since January 2013, implying no culpability for the franchise's poor performance for the decade prior, it's an old marketing trick to try and rebrand a failing product, in this case, the failing product is Russ himself. Nice try Russ, but I'm not buying it, grade: D.

2- The Toronto series was his idea and it has failed miserably and the games themselves have been an embarrassment. I don't buy the notion that the series enabled the Bills to expand into the Southern Ontario market, they could have done that with effective marketing and promotion without sending a game north of the border, grade: D.

3- Cap management. This might be the worst area of performance. First, under spending the cap over the past few years and signing contracts that have been colossal failures. Second, how can a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 15 years have the MOST DEAD MONEY of any NFL team in 2014 ? Bad financial management, grade: F.

4- Stadium. While I love the fact that the lease prevents the team from moving for 10 years, why wasn't there any foresight 5 years ago that this franchise needed a new stadium ? We should be in the process of building a new stadium as we search for a new owner instead of scrambling to get our ducks in a row to prove that we'll be able to do it to ensure a new owner keeps the team, an A for short term an F for long term.

5- Performance on the field, grade: D-.

6- PR (Jills lawsuit, website leak and text message lawsuit), I know they are all trivial, but all blemishes nonetheless, grade: D.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are analyzing far too intensely as a super fan instead of stepping back. It's causing you to seek failures (real or not, his or not) and lose some perspective. I'm not saying he's been perfect but....

I think you are analyzing far too intensely as a super fan instead of stepping back. It's causing you to seek failures (real or not, his or not) and lose some perspective. I'm not saying he's been perfect but....

+100. If you are going to put Russ on trial how about comparing him to the 31 other people in similar roles in the NFL?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I think everyone knows their jobs are on the line this year which is why im not surprised by how aggressive they were this offseason

I like Whaley but I think Brandon should go regardless as he has been the top man basically of a team that hasnt made the playoffs in 14 years

Edited by Max997

The reality is that if a new owner puts his own guy in charge it will take RB very little time to be named the president of a new team (Clippers maybe). His reputation in professional sports is impeccable. RB is widely respected as one of the best. He has managed to generate revenues in Buffalo in line with much larger, wealthier markets.

Another Crusade? Just Great! :rolleyes:

I for one am a for crusades (see my Chris Hogan crusade). However, I prefer that my crusades be routed in fact and intimate knowledge -not pitchforks & lanterns. If its a subject that you don't really understand it is not one that you should be leading.

The reality is that if a new owner puts his own guy in charge it will take RB very little time to be named the president of a new team (Clippers maybe). His reputation in professional sports is impeccable. RB is widely respected as one of the best. He has managed to generate revenues in Buffalo in line with much larger, wealthier markets.

Are you sure on his reputation ? I only have a couple of sources, friends who are involved in other teams and they've told me the exact opposite, that Brandon is not viewed in that manner. One friend, said the Bills are "laughing stock of the league". Another friend told me that he isolates himself and has few allies and friends in the NFL circle. Again, I will admit, I only have a couple sources on two different teams, so, if you know more, can you share ?

I would like to see how this season plays out. They swung for the fences (here, the fences have been moved in to just sneaking in the playoffs) by getting Williams, Spikes, trading up for Watkins, and trading Stevie.

If they make the playoffs, they are trending the right way.

If they are 6-10 and finish in last for the 7th year in a row, please take him out back and release us from this hell.

this thread should really just be titled Russ sucks, cause that was the entire point of the OP starting it, it was just to show how much he hates RB

That's just my opinion, the POST was intended to ask all of you yours and see what type of consensus we have on this forum about RB and what we think will happen with him with a new owner. Feel free to disagree, but I am not going to hide my opinion and I would certainly NEVER ask you to hide yours.

this thread should really just be titled Russ sucks, cause that was the entire point of the OP starting it, it was just to show how much he hates RB

Or even more aptly "the bills suck, and I blame Russ for everything."

What would be the best way to do that, comparing W/L records ?

Too simplistic. It assumes that Russ decisions directly affect player personnel, which you haven't proven. If Russ being in the building makes him responsible then all the secretaries and janitors should be fired too.

Too simplistic. It assumes that Russ decisions directly affect player personnel, which you haven't proven. If Russ being in the building makes him responsible then all the secretaries and janitors should be fired too.

straw man

Are you sure on his reputation ? I only have a couple of sources, friends who are involved in other teams and they've told me the exact opposite, that Brandon is not viewed in that manner. One friend, said the Bills are "laughing stock of the league". Another friend told me that he isolates himself and has few allies and friends in the NFL circle. Again, I will admit, I only have a couple sources on two different teams, so, if you know more, can you share ?

The only knowledge I have of any opinion closely resembling this one dates back to when Russ was GM in title. Many GMs around the league didn't like that he had a position that should be occupied by a personnel guy, not a business guy. Interestingly enough, there's another GM in the AFC East right now that is fighting that same stigma in the eyes of other NFL GMs.

As far as opinions around the league on him in his current position, my understanding is that he's well respected; a reputation he bolstered significantly when he promoted Whaley to GM.

That's just my opinion, the POST was intended to ask all of you yours and see what type of consensus we have on this forum about RB and what we think will happen with him with a new owner. Feel free to disagree, but I am not going to hide my opinion and I would certainly NEVER ask you to hide yours.

Please provide details on how 3,4,5 and 6 are all the fault of Russ?

3? he's the only one dealing with the salary cap? No other teams sign players to bad contracts?

4? Do we have enough details and facts to prove that a new stadium wasn't being discussed or are we just making assumptions?

5? performance on the field is his fault?!

6? the PR is all the fault of Russ?

I have worked at an executive level in pro sports for 2 teams and 8 years total. I have worked directly with many team presidents and league level executives. They are amazed at the sponsorship revenues and lease deal that they were able to put together. He has always had his hands tied by Littman until the beginning of 2013. Regardless of his title there were many battles fought over spending that JL shot down. That is one thing that not a lot of people know but its the truth. Now RB doesn't need that approval. I think that we can all agree that this team is in a much better place than they were 18 months ago.

The regionalization IS the reason that the team will remain long term in WNY. The Toronto series was a necessary evil to infiltrate that market. In addition it secured an extra $8m (I believe) per year in non shared revenue. This money is essential to be competitors in FA. The Bills have had to be EXTREMELY creative in generating those revenues b/c RWS & WNY will never yield what Jerry World will. Those revenues drive the cap but do not get divided. There is little to no chance that this team would remain in WNY without the business decisions that the Bills have made over the last 15 years.

If they make the playoffs, new ownership probably wouldnt want to mess with that because the fan switch would be turned on and the city would be all Bills-energized.

If they disappoint, I think it is important a new owner establishes a complete culture change from the top down. Face it they havent won a playoff game in what would be 18 years, and miss for what would be 15 straight. Thats almost a generational failure. There are adults who cant remember a playoff victory and may have vague memories of the Music City Miracle bow out of the playoffs forever.

I also do not believe the Bills have a very good or respected opinion from the members of the NFLPA (and agents and such). They need to do what they can to change that.

Please provide details on how 3,4,5 and 6 are all the fault of Russ?

3? he's the only one dealing with the salary cap? No other teams sign players to bad contracts?

4? Do we have enough details and facts to prove that a new stadium wasn't being discussed or are we just making assumptions?

5? performance on the field is his fault?!

6? the PR is all the fault of Russ?

On #3 - we lead league in DEAD money, that's an indication that we've done worse than the other 31 teams, isn't it ?

On #4 - I don't know, I give him credit for the 10 year lease and locking the team up while we look for a new owner. To me, that's his crowning achievement. When lease was signed, I was adamant that the team needed a new stadium to remain here long term, everyone feels that way, so, there should have been more foresight, we had a 90+ year old owner, if not Russ, who should be doing that ?

On #5 -- Someone is to blame, or is it blameless ? RB was GM for a few years, hired/fired GM's/HC's in others -- he's the only common denominator, I guess you can blame RW

On #6 -- none of these on their own is a big deal, I get that, but, when you say he's blameless for performance on the field, and not responsible for new stadium etc. etc. What is he responsible for, so, don't blame him for the Jills ? the website leak ? the text messages ? -- what will you hold him accountable for ?