2013 revisited - how little had to happen to change 6-10 to 10-6

How could 4 of those 10 losses been wins? Pretty easy actually...

1) Game 1 vs New England. Bills force a punt, getting the ball at their own 20 with < 6:00 left in the 4th leading 21-20. 1st down run up the middle no gain. 2nd down incomplete pass stops clock. 3rd down check down pass gains only 4. Bills take only 1:20 off the clock and give ball back to Brady at his own 34 with 4:31 and all 3 time outs. Defense can't make stop, New England kills clock and kicks game-winning field goal with 9 seconds left. Overall in the 4th, Manuel is 3 for 6 for 20 yards.

2) Game 3 @ NY Jets. Bills tie the game at 20 with 10:47 left in the 4th after . Geno Smith hits Santonio Holmes for a 69 yard TD 3 plays later. Bills get 4 more drive starts in the quarter and only get as close as the Jets 46 yard line. Manuel is sacked 3 times in those last 10 minutes and goes 6 for 16.

3) Game 6 vs Cinci. Thad Lewis throws 2 4th quarter TDs to tie the game and force OT. Cinci gets into Bills territory but defense stiffens and they punt. We get ball at our own 7. 2 runs up the middle and an incomplete pass force us to punt from our own 11. Moorman booms a 51 yard punt but we allow a 29 yard return to our 33 yard line. Cinci kicks game winning FG 3 plays later.

4) Game 12 vs Atlanta. Bills up by 7 and force punt with 6:02 left in 4th. Bills run up middle loses 3 yards then an incomplete pass stops clock. We then get called for delay making 3rd and 17 from our own 3. 3rd down Check down pass gains only 14. Bills take only 1:36 off the clock. Bills defense has 3 penalties on ensuing drive including interference in the end zone before Atlanta ties game with 1:31 left. Bills actually move into Atlanta territory but Stevie fumbles at their 28 with :20 left on the clock. Game goes to OT. We get ball and complete pass near mid field but Scott Chandler then fumbles. Falcons go on to kick game winning FG 3 plays later.

I didn't even mention the Cleveland game where we appeared primed for a win but EJ got hurt and Tuel crapped the bed.

Patterns seen/lessons learned (hopefully):

1 - we can't hold a lead with the conservative play calling seen here. Runs up the middle and check down passes... no way to seal wins.

2 - defensive/special teams penalties/breakdowns at critical times.

3 - Early games in EJ's career (other than Carolina) he wasn't up to the challenge of these pressure situations.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would take away the Cincy game. They dominated the living crap out of the Bills. I would introduce the Chiefs game where the Bills dominated the first half and on one Tuel mistake, the Chiefs turned the game around. Had Fred been able to punch in the Touchdown on first two running plays, Bills would have won that game. I too believe that unlike years prior, the Bills were competitive in MOST GAMES. All the best in 2014.

And in that Jets game, Manuel thought the field was 5 yards wider and Justin Rogers played his last game!

And in that Pats game: I don't see us losing down the stretch anymore since SJ13 is gone! Im pretty sure he dropped one in the 4rth quarter that would have extended a drive and would have killed time off the clock with a lead.

Edited by curitiba

So goes life in the NFL...winning teams know how to close. Hoping our young guys learned a lot from all of those close games and we become one.

Indeed. Every team has multiple close games in a year. Good teams win those games. Bad teams lose those games.

Every year we have posts "we could have been...."

Maybe the feeling that I have is purely a gut feeling, but maybe it's something this team showed us... I'm with Jay... This didn't look or feel like previous teams where we had a few games in our hands and lost... Sure we did, and they resulted as they did in years past. I think that with seemingly increased talent on the O line, and a run stuffing LB, we are primed for better results. EJ growing from year one to year two (and staying healthy) will be big for us, but I also think that play calling will change a bit... The reoccurring trend last year was run up the middle or check down in those close situations.... With our improved line, maybe that run up the middle on first goes for 5+, and totally opens the playbook, but again, maybe Nate gets creative and learns how to better utilize CJ... Only time will tell

Bills really only played two stinkers all year; at Pitt and at Tampa. 6-8 in the others, with chances to win several of the 8 losses and also chances to lose several of the 6 wins.

Young teams do this. Everyone is hoping for that big jump from Y1 to Y2 in the system.

One other thing of note in that list - 3 of the 4 were home games (well, Toronto is debatable). Gotta win your home games.

We all know Atlanta wasn't a home game. ;)

Thankfully that abomination is on (permanent?) hiatus.

The St. Louis Blues do the same thing. Here's what Ken Hitchcock said about them: "You've got to have time when it's the killer instinct and you've got to put the foot right on the throat — I keep saying that — but when it's time to put it on, you've got to put it on and we didn't. We let two teams, two really good teams ... we let em off the hook."

He also said something about putting the knife in the throat and twisting it around till the head falls off and blood gushes all over the ice, but that was a little too close to Clint Malarchuk.

However, the Bills need to get that killer mode, where they are relentless to the very end. And they will win more games. People will fear them.

How could 4 of those 10 losses been wins? Pretty easy actually...

1) Game 1 vs New England. Bills force a punt, getting the ball at their own 20 with < 6:00 left in the 4th leading 21-20. 1st down run up the middle no gain. 2nd down incomplete pass stops clock. 3rd down check down pass gains only 4. Bills take only 1:20 off the clock and give ball back to Brady at his own 34 with 4:31 and all 3 time outs. Defense can't make stop, New England kills clock and kicks game-winning field goal with 9 seconds left. Overall in the 4th, Manuel is 3 for 6 for 20 yards.

2) Game 3 @ NY Jets. Bills tie the game at 20 with 10:47 left in the 4th after . Geno Smith hits Santonio Holmes for a 69 yard TD 3 plays later. Bills get 4 more drive starts in the quarter and only get as close as the Jets 46 yard line. Manuel is sacked 3 times in those last 10 minutes and goes 6 for 16.

3) Game 6 vs Cinci. Thad Lewis throws 2 4th quarter TDs to tie the game and force OT. Cinci gets into Bills territory but defense stiffens and they punt. We get ball at our own 7. 2 runs up the middle and an incomplete pass force us to punt from our own 11. Moorman booms a 51 yard punt but we allow a 29 yard return to our 33 yard line. Cinci kicks game winning FG 3 plays later.

4) Game 12 vs Atlanta. Bills up by 7 and force punt with 6:02 left in 4th. Bills run up middle loses 3 yards then an incomplete pass stops clock. We then get called for delay making 3rd and 17 from our own 3. 3rd down Check down pass gains only 14. Bills take only 1:36 off the clock. Bills defense has 3 penalties on ensuing drive including interference in the end zone before Atlanta ties game with 1:31 left. Bills actually move into Atlanta territory but Stevie fumbles at their 28 with :20 left on the clock. Game goes to OT. We get ball and complete pass near mid field but Scott Chandler then fumbles. Falcons go on to kick game winning FG 3 plays later.

I didn't even mention the Cleveland game where we appeared primed for a win but EJ got hurt and Tuel crapped the bed.

Patterns seen/lessons learned (hopefully):

1 - we can't hold a lead with the conservative play calling seen here. Runs up the middle and check down passes... no way to seal wins.

2 - defensive/special teams penalties/breakdowns at critical times.

3 - Early games in EJ's career (other than Carolina) he wasn't up to the challenge of these pressure situations.

Good post! I would add the Kansas City game. One of the flukiest losses in the NFL last year. No team can sustain getting outgained 490-200 and win. It takes a lot of ridiculously crazy plays to defeat that. Also, I thought the first Jets game we played poorly and were lucky to be in it.

I would also add to the conversation if you believe this kind of discussion is pointless. In terms of what actually happened ...yes it is-no doubt. In terms of looking forward, it definetly can mean something. Those who are good at, and do predictions for a living, know this. They are interested in separating luck from what is sustainable over the long term.

Someone made this same post for the previous 13 seasons as well.

What if's are meaningless and for losers. Don't worry (too much) about the past, but instead look forward to this coming season. If Manuel and Marrone step up their games the Bills should be at the very least respectable.

QB play.

Actually I think looking at last season - kind makes more the case that we don't need EJ to be a top 10 quarter back to make the playoffs.

I would add to the OP - special teams killed us in two games - probably lost us two games in fact - Cleveland (2-3 long returns) and Cinci (long return in OT that sealed the game).

Stevie in 4th quarter NE

Stevie and our stone fisted TE in ATL

ST Teams - ATL - Cinci

Devastated with injuries - (def backfield - CJ, Fred, SJ - Plantar Fachitis safety guy....)

Lose ALL our QB's at some point - playing UDFA???

Think of all that. If EJ is competent we are in good shape - if he is top 15 QB - we are 10-6 easy.

Well, you know, if a certain referee doesn't call a very debatable pass interference penalty on Luke Kuechly, there goes one of the wins.

Well, you know, if a certain referee doesn't call a very debatable pass interference penalty on Luke Kuechly, there goes one of the wins.

It really wasn't debatable. Clear pass interference. Kuechly is awesome, but I'm sure even he would admit he made a dumb play there.