BILLS ROOKIE NUMBERS ANNOUNCED

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we haven't heard what any of the rookies will wear so far. We can have some pretty good guesses, but here's what we know:

Sammy Watkins, WR

Previously wore: 7 in high school, 7 when he first got to Clemson before switching to 2

Eligible numbers currently available: 13, 16, 83 (although 83 requires special permission)

Eligible numbers attached to players that may be negotiated away: 14 (Roberson), 15 (Hogan), 17 (Kaufmann), 18 (Elliott), 80 (Caussin), 82 (Moeaki), 86 (Barden), 87 (Summers).

Number information we know so far: Watkins has said he wants to wear a number in the teens.

My guess: 16. I could see him go after number 17, but 16 is already available.

Cyrus Kouandjio, OT

Previously wore: 65 and 70 in high school, 71 at Alabama

Eligible numbers currently available: 61, 66, 67, 68, 69, 71 (66 has reduced circulation)

My guess: 71. Easy transition.

Preston Brown, LB

Previously wore: 18 in high school and 2 at Louisville

Eligible numbers currently available: 52, 54, 93

My guess: 52. It's an easy transition into the 50s using his college number.

Ross Cockrell, CB

Previously wore: 6 in both high school and at Duke

Eligible numbers currently available: 29, 31, 35, 41, 43, 45, 46, 47, 49

My guess: 29 or 31 are the only "attractive" numbers there, so he may choose whichever Bryce Brown doesn't. 46 has the 6 he wore at previous levels.

Cyril Richardson, OG

Previously wore: 68 at Baylor

Eligible numbers currently available: 61, 66, 67, 68, 69, 71 (66 has reduced circulation)

My guess: 68. Stick with the college number.

Randell Johnson, LB

Previously wore: 15 at Florida Atlantic

Eligible numbers currently available: 52, 54, 93

My guess: 54. It's the only other eligible 50s number, and 93 doesn't really make sense for him.

Seantrel Henderson, OT

Previously wore: 77 in both high school and at Miami

My guess: 67. It's the only number left with a seven in it if Kouandjio takes 71.

BONUS:

Bryce Brown, RB

Previously wore: 5, 11 and 24 in high school, 11 at Tennessee, 4 and 8 at Kansas State,

Eligible numbers currently available: 29, 31, 35, 41, 43, 45, 46, 47, 49

My guess: 31. He seems to like the number 11 as he has worn it multiple times, so that might make the 1 there appealing. Could also just go with 43 which is the reverse of his 34 in Philly.

Won't bother with undrafted players just yet since they'll likely get some ineligible numbers as the allowed digits will run out.

Great thread. I had already checked the Bills website a few times before seeing this, so thanks for the legwork.

And I agree with most of your guesses & logic; Preston Brown will be looking solid in 52. I am especially hoping you are right and Watkins goes with 16. 2 to the 4th power is 16, and it’s a beautiful looking even number. Brandon better get on the stick, they could already be selling hundreds of these.

Also, 16 was my old # back in the day. Dwight Gooden, Joe Montana, it even looked good on Jay Riemersma when he was at Michigan. My sons will be sporting Watkins gear either way, but especially if 16 is the choice.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

I feel like we're the only team without a single draftee's number revealed.

same here....how are Rookie Jerseys being sold already if numbers have not been given yet??...I'm pretty sure NFLN was talking about Manziell sales the next morning or even earlier

same here....how are Rookie Jerseys being sold already if numbers have not been given yet??...I'm pretty sure NFLN was talking about Manziell sales the next morning or even earlier

I think its because his college jersey number was available on the Browns so he didnt have to pick a new one

CBF

QB, K, P: 1-19

RB, CB, S: 20-49

WR: 10-19 and 80-89

TE: 40-49 and 80-89

OLine: 60-79 (50-59 is also legal but rare)

DLine: 50-79 and 90-99

LB: 50-59 and 90-99

My understanding was that 50-59 was basically okay for centers, but not guards or tackles. Seems to have gone out of vogue somewhat, possibly because expanding rosters have put a premium on those numbers.

You can basically pre-order the jersey on the website. Once the number is chosen, they'll print them up and start sending them out.

My understanding was that 50-59 was basically okay for centers, but not guards or tackles. Seems to have gone out of vogue somewhat, possibly because expanding rosters have put a premium on those numbers.

You can basically pre-order the jersey on the website. Once the number is chosen, they'll print them up and start sending them out.

DOH!!!...yea I should have thought of that..there's like no way they have 4000 jerseys of each player for the team they were drafted to...lol..my bad

Yea, I've always heard it as okay for centers only. However, Legursky wore 59 for us when plenty of numbers were available. And a Dolphins guard wore it recently.

I am especially hoping you are right and Watkins goes with 16. 2 to the 4th power is 16, and it’s a beautiful looking even number. Brandon better get on the stick, they could already be selling hundreds of these.

Carry on the proud legacy of Brad Smith :D.

Did this with the Mario jersey and it took them about a month to decide on a number. Not sure why we're so slow to put this out.

For who? Watkins said he doesn't want a number in the 80s.

Players can change their minds or be convinced otherwise. I saw an interview with Bernie Kosar where he said he wanted to be #12. The coach or owner or GM or somebody suggested 19. He didn't think much of it at first but then they told him it would be unique and has proud heritage a la Johnny Unitas, so he went with it.

I'm thinking 83. He grew up as an Andre fan and now he's met Andre. Maybe he'll change his mind. I hope so, but it really doesn't matter that much anyway

I don't want Watkins to go with 83. It's already been done, and it didn't really workout. If the last time special permission was given worked out, then maybe, but let's just avoid that situation. Evans had a reason to wear 83, Watkins doesn't really have one.

Go with 16 or 17.

I think some others have mentioned, but Sammy already said he probably won't pick a number in the 80's.

I'm hoping for 16. That was always my number in baseball. If he goes for 16, I might buy a jersey, since they just traded away the player of the last jersey I bought, stevie.

Watkins is the only first rounder without a confirmed number now.

With voluntary workouts coming on the 16th and the rookie minicamp happening from the 17-19th I think we'll know soon. Preston Brown is the only rookie with a confirmed number as he took 52.

Edited by SBUffalo

I would like 17 or 83. Better looking numbers than 16 (no disrespect to the number of you who appear to have worn it at some point). My guess is that Reed is trying to convince Watkins to take 83, and he's thinking about it.

I have a MD jersey, but will prob get a Watkins jersey. And if he takes 83, perhaps a Watkins and Reed throwback one.

I would like 17 or 83. Better looking numbers than 16 (no disrespect to the number of you who appear to have worn it at some point). My guess is that Reed is trying to convince Watkins to take 83, and he's thinking about it.

I have a MD jersey, but will prob get a Watkins jersey. And if he takes 83, perhaps a Watkins and Reed throwback one.

Why would Andre Reed be trying to convince Watkins to wear 83?