BILLS ROOKIE NUMBERS ANNOUNCED

Sammy Watkins, WR - 14

1st round, 4th pick on 2014. Wore 7 and 2 previously (7x2=14). Born June 14th.

Cyrus Kouandjio, OT - 71

Wore 71 at Alabama.

Preston Brown, LB - 52

Wore 2 at Louisville.

Ross Cockrell, CB - 29

Wore 6 at Duke.

Cyril Richardson, OG - 68

Wore 68 at Baylor.

Randell Johnson, LB - 93

Wore 15 at FIU.

Seantrel Henderson, OT - 66

Wore 77 at Miami.

Bryce Brown, RB (non-rookie) - 35

Wore 34 in Philly, 5 in high school among others.

Edited by SBUffalo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evans had to get special permission to wear 83. Andre wasn't in the HOF yet then. The team may not want it worn, and Watkins may not want it.

Also: he said he doesn't want to wear a number in the 80s. So I highly doubt he uses it.

Watkins will be 13 id guess. Rubbing salt in Stevie's wounds

This would annoy me on multiple levels. I don't like 13 that much for WRs and Stevie was unbelievably loyal to the city. Let the number rest for a year.

I'm hoping Watkins goes with 17. Kaufman is moving to TE so he'll have to change numbers.

So we haven't heard what any of the rookies will wear so far. We can have some pretty good guesses, but here's what we know:

Sammy Watkins, WR

Previously wore: 7 in high school, 7 when he first got to Clemson before switching to 2

I'll go with the most obvious. 14. 7 x 2.

Wow, you did an awful lot of research on something nobody cares about. Come on, seriously, no one give a flying F on what number an Olineman wears.

Your laziness is showing. It took me less than five minutes to compile this. "Awful lot of work." No.

I'm hoping Watkins goes with 17. Kaufman is moving to TE so he'll have to change numbers.

17 would look right--- that's my preference. Realistically, I'd like him to not pick a number with a strong previous association, but that's difficult: no 14, 13 or 83 at the very least.

watkinsjersey.jpg

17 would look right--- that's my preference. Realistically, I'd like him to not pick a number with a strong previous association, but that's difficult: no 14, 13 or 83 at the very least.

watkinsjersey.jpg

Yea I'm definitely thinking 17 after seeing that. I think he would've went 12 if it weren't retired.

Appreciate the info SBUffalo

No problem. Always like to know what numbers we'll see on the field!

Can someone help me out here on WR numbers?

Back in the 60s, WRs wore low numbers. Lance Alworth was 19. Bob Hayes was 22. Then in the 70s it went to all 80s numbers for WRs. Then it seems a few years ago a lot (almost all) went to QB numbers (teens). Was there a rule change? If so, when?

Back in the 60s, WRs wore low numbers. Lance Alworth was 19. Bob Hayes was 22. Then in the 70s it went to all 80s numbers for WRs. Then it seems a few years ago a lot (almost all) went to QB numbers (teens). Was there a rule change? If so, when?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_number_(American_football)

Basically most recent rule change to let WRs wear teen numbers was started by Keyshawn Johnson.

QB, K, P: 1-19

RB, CB, S: 20-49

WR: 10-19 and 80-89

TE: 40-49 and 80-89

OLine: 60-79 (50-59 is also legal but rare)

DLine: 50-79 and 90-99

LB: 50-59 and 90-99

Edited by SBUffalo