How do we use our WRs this year?

Considering the very real changes to our WR group this offseason, and especially over the past three days, I've been thinking about how we indeed to use our new lineup.

Rob Quinn is a writer who I really like, because he is good with X's and O's and breaking down concepts. Going off of the scheme's that we started with last year, and looking at our current group, here's a guess of some of the things we might do.

So, who do we have as our top 5 WR:

Sammy Watkins: our new WR, he has great speed, shiftiness and versatility but should be expected to make some rookie mistakes.Can play outside or in the slot.

Mike Williams: Our new acquisition from Tampa, most of what I have seen from him has been as an outside WR. He's a little slower than Watkins, but is a bit heaver, taller and has a truly impressive vertical (36.5") and has a knack for coming down with jump balls that should have been INT's. I project him being our #2.

Robert Woods: Woods is the guy with whom EJ had the best chemistry with last year. His play is most similar to Stevie Johnson and I think he was the real reason the Bills considered Stevie expendable. He’s a great route running, and can be #2 receiver if necessary, but I wouldn’t be surprised if his true calling was the slot.

Marquise Goodwin: The man is an absolute burner (4.27s 40 time). He has great speed to take the top off a defense, but he also has skills to work with cushion when CB’s play off when they worry about his speed. He also has been used as a gadget player and a kickoff returner.

TJ Graham: Even faster than Goodwin, he can take the top off a defense on deep routes.

11 Personnel (3 WR, 1 TE,1RB)

triangle-1-corner-300x182.jpg

The idea is to create routes that let EJ do a quick progression on whether the outside CB plays close, or players off. If the CB plays close, it opens up a deep corner route for the TE (or the slot WR as the case may be). If the CB plays off, it opens a snag route for the outside WR. In this case, the slot WR runs a slant while the other outside WR runs a go route while the RB is a check down.

According to Quinn, this is a "triangle", and you can have an incredible number of variations.

The only constant in creating the triangle is that there is one receiver that runs a vertical route, a receiver that runs a “snag,” which is essentially a combination of a slant and a curl, and a check down to the flat.

In this case, if the defense rolls over extra defenders, it should create man to man coverage for the outside receiver.

So, how might this shake out with our people?

TE and RB are pretty close guesses. Moeaki, if healthy, sounds like a good option for the deep downfield pass but Chandler could likely do it as well. CJ is best in space and with a WR to block for him there's a good chance he gets a head of steam.

Stevie was the slot receiver in this diagram up above. With him gone, I can easily see Robert Woods, EJ's favorite target from last year running the slant. Watkins, with his speed and shiftiness is great with yards after catch, so I could see him running the snag route. On the outside, you could put Goodwin to take the top of the defense, or use Mike Williams if you think that you can win a jump ball on a deep route in 1 on 1 coverage.

4 WR, 1 RB

Keeping with the concept of the snag route, and integrating it into a 4 WR vertical base, Quinn drew up something like this:

4-vert-curl-triangle-300x172.jpg

Goodwin and Williams could be the best choices on the outside. Goodwin is capable of taking the top off the defense, forcing them to roll over a deep safety to support or leaving him in man-to-man. Watkins would be lining up against a team’s NB, a matchup he is very likely to win. Woods, if ignored, can probably win is matchup as well while Spiller or Freddy gets the ball in space.

These are good articles to check out and I would love to hear about other ideas that fans would have:

http://forgedinbuffa...s-passing-game/

http://forgedinbuffa...passing-attack/

First three passes to Sammy and just when they start to double him, a bomb to Flash. And when they start sending too many people into coverage, pound the rock.

CJ had his best year when we ran out of the spread. With our new draft picks, he should have improved run blocking too.

Am I crazy, or might we have a pretty damn good offense this year?

I like Rob Quinn's write-ups on the team too. I envisioned Woods in the slot. On WGR yesterday they insinuated it would be Watkins #1 and Woods #2 on the outside, with Wiliams in the slot, Considering Woods is speedy, I can see this. Still think he would be sick in the slot with that route running and those hands though!

EDIT: I pinched myself, and it is real. TJ GRAHAM IS NO LONGER A STARTER

Edited by YoloinOhio

I like Rob Quinn's write-ups on the team too. I envisioned Woods in the slot. On WGR yesterday they insinuated it would be Watkins #1 and Woods #2 on the outside, with Wiliams in the slot, Considering Woods is speedy, I can see this. Still think he would be sick in the slot with that route running and those hands though!

I do think that Woods would be better in the slot, but he could be a good #2. That said, Williams has put up a lot of production. If he is going into the slot, I would imagine that it's because his size and jump ball ability would make him win most matchups against a safety or NB.

I think it will be Watikins and Wood on the outside and Williams coming from the slot. (the "WWW" formation). Mix in the two burner guys ocassionally or as a 4 WR set. Note that the tight end may be changed to a blocking back for pass blocking, which would allow CJ or Freddie to combine with Dixon Brown and slip out for short safety value passes al la Thurman. We have to find a tight end whose name starts with a "W", Maybe we could get Moeaki to spell his name with the first letter upside down and adding an "s". Woeaski would work. I bet Marrone and Whaley are already looking into it.

They asked Marrone specifically yesterday about that and he mentioned Watkins, Woods, and even Goodwin in the slot. No mention of Williams or Graham.

They are going to run a lot of different formations. All four of the guys can play multiple positions although MWilliams is the least likely to play the slot on a regular basis.

Watkins will be all over the field. Trying to say this guy will be here and that guy will be there, it's pointless. Besides, if Watkins ends up primarily in one role, we will be wasting his talent, big time.

CJ had his best year when we ran out of the spread. With our new draft picks, he should have improved run blocking too.

Am I crazy, or might we have a pretty damn good offense this year?

Tired of hearing "it's a passing league". This may be true, but people are way overlooking the run game. With the beef we have on the OL, no way do we pass in goal line situations. This is going to be smash mouth offense!

Running the ball will be much easier this year.

Teams will start of daring EJ to beat them; once we show we can do that; they will no longer stack 8 in the box.The run game will take off and our OL will look worlds better than it has been....

This mix of WRs gives the OC a ton of flexibility the more I think of it, to take advantage of the mismatches with the defensive personnel we face each week. I think we will see a variety of packages, This should help EJ a great deal.

Yep. The passing attack will benefit too. We won't have to leave someone to chip block as much. That means TEs and RBs will also contribute more to the aerial attack.

The OL is going to be the difference IMHO. Both run and pass should see a boost in production.

Edited by Rockinon

Tired of hearing "it's a passing league". This may be true, but people are way overlooking the run game. With the beef we have on the OL, no way do we pass in goal line situations. This is going to be smash mouth offense!

They keep saying that, but the last three Super Bowl winners have had stout run games that started clicking around playoff time: Bradshaw and Jacobs for the Giants in 2011, Ray Rice for the Ravens in 2012 and Marshawn Lynch (where do I know that name?) for the Seahawks in 2013.

We just need the passing game to get us there.

They keep saying that, but the last three Super Bowl winners have had stout run games that started clicking around playoff time: Bradshaw and Jacobs for the Giants in 2011, Ray Rice for the Ravens in 2012 and Marshawn Lynch (where do I know that name?) for the Seahawks in 2013.

We just need the passing game to get us there.

ahead of the curve ? or atleast keeping up with the front runners , in concept .

I would have preferred Evans just for the mismatch , and next years 1st and 4th . But the Bills now have plenty of fire power. I would expect Nate to be head butting his kids in celebration of this draft for him .

JK.

He is a smart man and has a shed load of tools right now

Go Bills

Edited by 3rdand12