Watkins trade compared to Julio Jones trade

You do realize, the Bills didn't give up two #1s. Right? Why can't people wrap their heads around the fact that we got a #1 pick which we used to draft SAMMY WATKINS?

Which would seem more correct to you?

1] The Houston Texans gave up one first round draft choice to get Jadeveon Clowney.

2] The Houston Texans gave up no first round draft choices to get Jadeveon Clowney.

I know it's a semantic argument, and I can't believe I am jumping into it, but it seems obvious to me that they "gave up" two first round picks to get him. Their own fourth and their own whatever in 2015.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1] The Houston Texans gave up one first round draft choice to get Jadeveon Clowney.

2] The Houston Texans gave up no first round draft choices to get Jadeveon Clowney.

I know it's a semantic argument, and I can't believe I am jumping into it, but it seems obvious to me that they "gave up" two first round picks to get him. Their own fourth and their own whatever in 2015.

How's this:

We invested two first round picks in Sammy Watkins.

But we only gave Cleveland ONE 1st round pick (and a 4th) for the privilege.

GO BILLS!!!

It is kind of weird cuz you can make a valid point on both sides...but I think that if you were gonna draft in the first round at 9 and traded for 4, you didn't lose that pick. For me the bills traded 2 picks and not 3!

The Falcons moved up 21 spots -- from 27th to sixth -- to select Jones.

Here is deal that the Falcons swung with the Cleveland Browns for Jones back in 2011:

Falcons received:

(1,600 POINTS) 2011 first-round selection (No. 6; used to select Julio Jones)

Browns received:

(680 POINTS) 2011 first-round selection (No. 27; later traded to Kansas City; Browns moved up to No. 21 to select Phil Taylor)

(310 POINTS) 2011 second-round selection (No. 59; used to select Greg Little)

( 48 POINTS) 2011 fourth-round selection (No. 124; used to select Owen Marecic)

(780 POINTS) 2012 first-round selection (No. 22; used to select Brandon Weeden)

( 58 POINTS) 2012 fourth-round selection (No. 118; later traded to Minnesota)

(1,878 POINTS) TOTAL

( +278 PONTS ) DIFFERENTIAL

Meanwhile, the Bills moved up five spots on Thursday night to select Watkins:

Bills received:

(1,800 POINTS)2014 first-round selection (No. 4; used to select Sammy Watkins)

Browns received:

(1,350 POINTS )2014 first-round selection (No. 9; later traded to Minnesota; Browns moved up to No. 8 to select Justin Gilbert)

(1,050 POINTS )2015 first-round selection (assume No. 15)

( 72 POINTS )2015 fourth-round selection (assume No. 15)

(2,472 POINTS ) TOTAL

( +672 POINTS ) DIFFERENTIAL

You do realize, the Bills didn't give up two #1s. Right? Why can't people wrap their heads around the fact that we got a #1 pick which we used to draft SAMMY WATKINS?

Why can't you wrap your head around the FACT that the Bills did give up TWO #1 draft picks!!! The Bills got one in return, but they did give up two.

the Bills have Marquis Goodwin a speedster with hands, Mike Williams, Robert Woods, and Sammy Watkins...talk about an embarrassment of riches at receiver and decent depth. They can throw in Chandler, Kaufman, or Hogan and go 5 wide...that's a spread lineup that should give defensive coordinators fits.

If the oline can keep EJ vertical, and open some run lanes...who knows?

Data show inverse relationship between drafting receivers and wins

When Tom Brady won Super Bowls, it was not with Randy Moss or Wes Welker. It was when the team invested money in its defense instead. When Eli Manning won his two Super Bowls, remember who his WRs were? Two over-the-hill guys (Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer) in 2007, and undrafted rookie Victor Cruz playing in his first full season in 2011. And the biggest knock on the Seahwaks heading into their Super Bowl with the Broncos was that they didn’t have enough receiver talent to keep up with Peyton’s loaded corps. How did that work out?

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/nfl/2014-05-07/nfl-draft-2014-wide-receivers-sammy-watkins-rams-wr-analysis

Data show inverse relationship between drafting receivers and wins

When Tom Brady won Super Bowls, it was not with Randy Moss or Wes Welker. It was when the team invested money in its defense instead. When Eli Manning won his two Super Bowls, remember who his WRs were? Two over-the-hill guys (Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer) in 2007, and undrafted rookie Victor Cruz playing in his first full season in 2011. And the biggest knock on the Seahwaks heading into their Super Bowl with the Broncos was that they didn’t have enough receiver talent to keep up with Peyton’s loaded corps. How did that work out?

http://linemakers.sp...ams-wr-analysis

You're right. It's a mistake to acquire elite receiving talent for a QB. Ever.

GO BILLS!!!

you do have a point. I do believe that a team needs a strong defense to win championships as post season play favors more physical play and less flags thrown, but a solid offense could get this team to the post season and I would take that as progress.

Cleveland just bent Whaley over a barrel on this trade. Only the Bills fans in the homer echo chamber think we got the better end of this deal.

If Watkins is as elite as everyone seems to think he is worth 2 #1s. No doubt. Who know's what 2015 draft would bring the Bills? Buffalo just got the best offensive player in the draft. The best has a a price

Ok, how about this?

Buffalo gave up 1 1st round and 1 4th round pick for the opportunity to draft Sammy Watkins. They did not give up 2 1st rounders... They invested the 4th overall pick on him...

Or something like that.

the used 3 draft choices to acquire Sammy ( two 1st's and a 4th)

most players drafted only use 1 draft choice.

another aspect to this trade that folks are overlooking:

#9 overall first round draft picks make about $3 mil/year against the cap. the bills didn't lose the money.

the bills in 2015 can use all or part of that $3 mil for an Unrestricted Free Agent instead of using it on a rookie draft choice.

so technically the bills got Sammy Watkins ($5 mil/yr) and a yet to be determined $3 mil Free Agent for those three draft choices (two 1sts and a 4th).

that softens the blow a little for those in favor of this deal. having said that, most #9 first round picks are better than a $3 mil UFA (spare me the bills draft history rebuttal).

Edited by papazoid

The Bills will have to draft 27th for the value to equal the Falcons trade. But I dont think anyone will care if the Bills finish with at least a winning record. They cant draft top 10 that is for sure.

But listen, no one can tell the future. The Redskins trade for RG3 was considered a great trade, 2 years later they are picking 2nd. That 2nd belonged to the Rams in that trade.

The thing I hate most is when people talk about draft value. I think the exact opposite of many draft experts and NFL people. They say in todays NFL you need all these picks because of free agency. IMO free agency makes it easier to fill your roster. Now a days with top 5 pick contracts being so low being aggressive should be how teams operate, especially teams like Buffalo. If there is a special player you can add to your team then go get him. You cant tell the future. San Fran and Seattle dwere equal to us in 2010, now they are elite teams.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

the ONLY way Watkins will be worth two #1's is if he makes the Pro Bowl within three years.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. The Bills need to make the playoffs. Period. Otherwise, we will continue to have discussions as to who is "good," just like we continue to have about Gilmore, Whitner, McKelvin, and of course Spiller. If the Bills don't make the playoffs, their overall mission is a failure imo.

There are reasons, obvious reasons why we don't make the playoffs. The #1 reason is of course quarterback. I think that the Bills should have drafted a qb this weekend. But as a poster above said, Brandon, Whaley and Marrone are clinging to the hope of not getting fired by the new owners. The chances of them keeping their jobs are probably not good under any conditions (especially for Brandon), and they really had nothing to lose by going all in on EJ.

I don't like it but it's out of our hands. And I don't think that posters above need to be ridiculed for not marching lockstep behind managers who have proven little to nothing.

Edited by Bill from NYC