Notebook questions: who has Dells, who has

stevestojan

Steve, you're going to need a pretty good graphics card if you want to watch DVD movies on a notebook.  Don't settle for anything less than 64 mb.  Personally, I'd get a laptop with 128 mb video ram.

216084[/snapback]

is a Ati Mobility Radeon any good?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am shopping notebooks, and am leaning towards a dell. However, I have heard from numerous sources that IBM think pads are the way to go.

What I am looking for is the following:

I am not a gamer, so an expensive graphics card or dedicated graphic card memory is not all that important (I can used shared RAM)

I will use it mainly for 4 applications: Firefox to surf the web, Access, Excel, and a DVD playing program.

I want something that is FAILY light.. (under 7 pounds, and the lighter the better). A good battery life is VERY important as well.

Also, the option to turn WiFi on and off is important (again, for battery life).

NOw, I was pretty set on a Dell, until i looked at reviews on CNet and such that say IBM makes a primier machine.

The problem i, reviews on websites that show advertising for the genre of product they are reviewing kind of makes me suspicious...

Anyway, I have looked at IMB Think Pad R40. The one i have looked at has P4M 2.4, only 256 Ram, but I can upgrade that, and according to CNet (but again, i want other opinions) has a great battery life.

Dell has, of course, the name, and has a 700m, which is very small, but i couldnt find a review for the life of the battery..

anyway, let me know what you all have, how you like them, etc, etc...

Oh, and I've heard good things about Toshiba, so if you ahve one of those, let me know as well.

215967[/snapback]

I've used plenty of ThinkPads (dad works for IBM), and plenty of Dells...my personal preference is Dell. Given that I can get ThinkPads at 20%+ off, that should tell you how strong a preference it is.

Can't really say why...basically, I'm not enamored with IBM's support, quality, or the configuration of their laptops. I find the Dells easier to use and ergonomically friendlier. The only issue I have with them is that they seem to have a design "flaw" (quirk might be a more apt description) where the wiring for the touch pad seems to cross under the exact spot where I rest my left palm when typing...on my old laptop (a high-end Latitude), I think over time the pressure of my hand crimped the wiring in such a way as to render the touch pad useless. Other than that...nary a problem. I actually dropped it and cracked the case once...and the thing has still booted perfectly every time since.

My new one is a Precision M60 that I swear by...it's a high-end business machine, probably more than you're looking for (set me back about $4k...but if you want, I can get the specs for you tomorrow - I just wrote 700 lines of Java in friggin' notepad, and I'm fried). It also has multiple monitor support, which is how I can multitask so effectively to get veritable buttloads of work done through the day while I keep up with your effluvious drivel... :devil:

I've used plenty of ThinkPads (dad works for IBM), and plenty of Dells...my personal preference is Dell.  Given that I can get ThinkPads at 20%+ off, that should tell you how strong a preference it is. 

Can't really say why...basically, I'm not enamored with IBM's support, quality, or the configuration of their laptops.  I find the Dells easier to use and ergonomically friendlier.  The only issue I have with them is that they seem to have a design "flaw" (quirk might be a more apt description) where the wiring for the touch pad seems to cross under the exact spot where I rest my left palm when typing...on my old laptop (a high-end Latitude), I think over time the pressure of my hand crimped the wiring in such a way as to render the touch pad useless.  Other than that...nary a problem.  I actually dropped it and cracked the case once...and the thing has still booted perfectly every time since.

My new one is a Precision M60 that I swear by...it's a high-end business machine, probably more than you're looking for (set me back about $4k...but if you want, I can get the specs for you tomorrow - I just wrote 700 lines of Java in friggin' notepad, and I'm fried).  It also has multiple monitor support, which is how I can multitask so effectively to get veritable buttloads of work done through the day while I keep up with your effluvious drivel...  :lol:

216107[/snapback]

wow... i was wondering how you were gonna fit a personal shot into that post... nice work! :devil:

Thanks for the help..

I have really narrowed it down to the Dell 700m (i reeeeally like how compact it is), the Dell 600m, or the IBM ThinkPad R40

I have a HP zv5220 with a Athalon 3000 processor. I love it. Got it at Circuit City at a huge markdown. ($949 after rebates) It's the best computer I own, and I own 5. 60GB HD, 512MB RAM, Wireless, CD/RW, 15.4" screen. But the best feature is the Harmon Kardon speaker system built in. I do audio work on it. It's hard to believe the sound that comes out of it...phenominal.

I must confess that this is the SECOND one I own. The hard drive fried on the first one after a week, but Circuit City replaced it no problem. Stevesojan happens.

PTR

The only issue I have with them is that they seem to have a design "flaw" (quirk might be a more apt description) where the wiring for the touch pad seems to cross under the exact spot where I rest my left palm when typing...on my old laptop (a high-end Latitude), I think over time the pressure of my hand crimped the wiring in such a way as to render the touch pad useless.  Other than that...nary a problem.  I actually dropped it and cracked the case once...and the thing has still booted perfectly every time since.

216107[/snapback]

Dell had an issue years ago with one of the Latitude models, where during assembly they ran the wires to the built in speakers under the palmrest on top of a sharp metal edge of the frame. What would happen is just like you saw where the pressure from your hand would eventually cut the wire. In this case the problem would be noise from the speakers because of the wire touching the frame.

As for durability, I've seen three laptops from the Sheriffs department get hit by airbags. I could hook an external monitor and keyboard to them and they would still boot up an work. Because the Sheriff department ordered the Complete Care Extended warranty, Dell replaced the laptops, no questions asked.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

STAY AWAY FROM THE SONY VAIO LAPTOPS!!!

I have one, and a HUGE number of models have manufacturing defects that show up after about 1 1/2 years of use, and the service for Sony is TERRIBLE... look somewhere else; the quality in graphics is NOT worth the additional cost!! :D

I used Dells at me previous job. Never a problem. Those laptops took a beating, and they logged some serious miles and never failed. When my wife was looking for a laptop, I made sure she got a Dell.

wow... i was wondering how you were gonna fit a personal shot into that post... nice work! :D

Thanks for the help..

I have really narrowed it down to the Dell 700m (i reeeeally like how compact it is), the Dell 600m, or the IBM ThinkPad R40

216118[/snapback]

Are you kidding? I can always find room for a personal shot at a brainless twit like you... :lol:

Go with the 600m, ultimately you'll appreciate the larger screen more than you will the light weight of the 700m. Get at least a half-gig of RAM (a full gig if you can afford it; you can never have too much memory), and 64M video.

Another thing about ThinkPads...IBM sold their consumer computer division a few months back. I don't know what that means for the ThinkPad brand (didn't follow the story, really)...but I'd wager that it'll ultimately result in a reduction of quality and service...

i have toshiba satellite, Celeron 2.7, 256MB RAM (64 MB shared video)

for what i use it for its great, email, word, surfing, dvds. haven't any problems with it. well except for the fact it came with xp home, which i quickly fixed :D

and the price was right. got it about 6 months ago for $600 after rebates

stevestojan or get off the pot

:lol:  :D

(just kidding)

216544[/snapback]

haha :lol:

Well, after some dicussions here and at work, I think I am again leaning back to the almighty Dell ;)

But now I can't decide between the 600m and the 700m... I think I might go to a kiosk in the mall and hopefully they will have both ...

The Thinkpad just got great reviews, but to match the insides of a Dell, I'd be paying hand over fist. .

haha :D

Well, after some dicussions here and at work, I think I am again leaning back to the almighty Dell :lol:

But now I can't decide between the 600m and the 700m... I think I might go to a kiosk in the mall and hopefully they will have both ...

The Thinkpad just got great reviews, but to match the insides of a Dell, I'd be paying hand over fist. .

216545[/snapback]

All Dell Direct Stores do have both the 600m and 700m on display, side by side.

Realistically, to stay closer to the $1000 range, you should be leaning towards the 600m. A comparably equipped 700m is going to get you closer to the $1300-1500 mark.

Honestly, the 700m is my favorite Dell notebook. Extremely small and the display is AWESOME (glossy display, similar to those found on HP, Sony, etc.). Its up to you to decide the pros and cons, as the 600m will definitely be more affordable.

All Dell Direct Stores do have both the 600m and 700m on display, side by side. 

Realistically, to stay closer to the $1000 range, you should be leaning towards the 600m.  A comparably equipped 700m is going to get you closer to the $1300-1500 mark.

Honestly, the 700m is my favorite Dell notebook.  Extremely small and the display is AWESOME (glossy display, similar to those found on HP, Sony, etc.).  Its up to you to decide the pros and cons, as the 600m will definitely be more affordable.

216557[/snapback]

yeah, i checked on the prices.. i know the 700m is a bit more..

oh, and thanks for the "Honestly, the 700m is my favorite Dell notebook. Extremely small and the display is AWESOME" ... i think you just spent a couple hundred bucks for me! :D:lol:

yeah, i checked on the prices.. i know the 700m is a bit more..

oh, and thanks for the "Honestly, the 700m is my favorite Dell notebook.  Extremely small and the display is AWESOME" ... i think you just spent a couple hundred bucks for me! :D:lol:

216564[/snapback]

My buddy has the 700m he got it for $850 when Dell had a $750 off $1500 sale or something and he loves it.

My buddy has the 700m he got it for $850 when Dell had a $750 off $1500 sale or something and he loves it.

216567[/snapback]

Yeah - that was a great promo. Don't anticipate that happening again anytime soon...it was an end of quarter push due to lagging sales in Oct.

What about an Apple IBook?  For the applications you're going for, not a bad purchase.  And the prices have dropped way down on them.  Plus it'll work nicely with your IPod. :lol:

216574[/snapback]

Sorry. I am sure they are nice machines. But I'm straight.

:D

I'm on my 3rd dell laptop--all of them purchased by my employer--and they all have sucked. My problems included: motherboard replacement, memory replacement, hard drive crashes, keypad assemblies, etc.

And unless you spend some ridiculous money on a premium warranty service, you'll spend hours and hours on hold, then only to be walked through the same troubleshooting steps with multiple representatives.

If I were in the laptop market, I'd be looking at either a Toshiba or IBM.