Doug Whaley's Audition

A bad pattern seems to be emerging. Looking at this offseason in total (so far) it seems winning may be a goal for the Bills front office, but just a big is cutting the budget, even at the expense of wins. First they let Byrd walk, refusing to even franchise him as it would cost all of $9M...and their plan is to replace him with bargain basement young players already under contract (Duke Williams and Searcy) who both seem suspect. They proceed to spend as little as possible in FA in general and then they trade up to make a splash in the draft (I like Watkins, don't get me wrong). A splash that will put butts in seats and help make the business ledger a little better for the incoming owner. Then they cut Stevie and save another truckload of money, even though it is hard to imagine a scenario where he wouldn't beat out all but one WR the Bills have for a starting spot. These moves may be designed, and actually lead to more wins, but the only thing that is certain is that they ARE major cost cutting measures and attempts at generating more revenue. I get it, it's a business, but for all Doug's bluster about win now, because the fans deserve it, he just dumped two dynamic starters to save $18M in cash. Doug can say it's a new day in all that nonsense, but this certainly has the feel of the same old cheap Bills.

Edited by DC Grid

A bad pattern seems to be emerging. Looking at this offseason in total (so far) it seems winning may be a goal for the Bills front office, but just a big is cutting the budget, even at the expense of wins. First they let Byrd walk, refusing to even franchise him as it would cost all of $9M...and their plan is to replace him with bargain basement young players already under contract (Duke Williams and Searcy) who both seem suspect. They proceed to spend as little as possible in FA in general and then they trade up to make a splash in the draft (I like Watkins, don't get me wrong). A splash that will put butts in seats and help make the business ledger a little better for the incoming owner. Then they cut Stevie and save another truckload of money, even though it is hard to imagine a scenario where he wouldn't beat out all but one WR the Bills have for a starting spot. These moves may be designed, and actually lead to more wins, but the only thing that is certain is that they ARE major cost cutting measures and attempts at generating more revenue. I get it, it's a business,

but for all Doug's bluster about win now, because the fans deserve it, he just dumped two dynamic starters to save $18M in cash.

Doug can say it's a new day in all that nonsense, but this certainly has the feel of the same old cheap Bills.

That is your opinion.

and it is based on nothing other than your feelings.

I think that you are completely wrong..............and you should be glad that your team (IF I may assume that) has a young, intelligent courageous general manager

That is your opinion.

and it is based on nothing other than your feelings.

I think that you are completely wrong..............and you should be glad that your team (IF I may assume that) has a young, intelligent courageous general manager

Not just his. It feels like one part of the organisation is trying to built a winner where another part of the organisation is just trying to be as profitable as possible without regard for results.

I disagree. Its a cold hard fact that the Bills saved 18 million bucks, Byrd was a perennial pro bowler, and Stevie was our best receiver.

Money may not be motivation, but it is suspicious. You don’t let two of your best players walk when you need to ‘win now’. Especially when the franchise tag is a one year deal.

I disagree. Its a cold hard fact that the Bills saved 18 million bucks, Byrd was a perennial pro bowler, and Stevie was our best receiver.

Money may not be motivation, but it is suspicious. You don’t let two of your best players walk when you need to ‘win now’. Especially when the franchise tag is a one year deal.

When you use terms like "dumped" (Poster #1)

and let two of your best players walk (you)

You demonstrate your "feelings" on this subject

Both Byrd and Johnson were dealt with in a professional manner...........and your re-writing spin is a laughable way to try and make a point .

Intelligent Bills fans know what you are doing.

Edited by B-Man

OMG...First of all, Byrd and Stevie are not our 2 best players.

Second of all, we did NOT let them walk. We made a SUBSTANTIAL offer and a FAIR offer to Byrd...he chose to go to NO. We TRADED STEVIE for what will likely be a 3rd round pick, more than he's worth.

Third, this team is being AGGRESSIVE in building a winner. I LOVE all the moves they have made.

I think we have a potential GM of they year in Whaley and its the BEST DIRECTION this team has been headed in 15 years and the MOST talented overall team in 15 years.

I can't even believe the amount of Bills fan whining going on right now...is mind boggling and absurd.

Second of all, we did NOT let them walk. We made a SUBSTANTIAL offer and a FAIR offer to Byrd...he chose to go to NO. We TRADED STEVIE for what will likely be a 3rd round pick, more than he's worth.

Third, this team is being AGGRESSIVE in building a winner. I LOVE all the moves they have made.

I think we have a potential GM of they year in Whaley and its the BEST DIRECTION this team has been headed in 15 years and the MOST talented overall team in 15 years.

I can't even believe the amount of Bills fan whining going on right now...is mind boggling and absurd.

Look I love the Watkins pick. I think this was an awesome gamble, and I think Whaley / this front office did an excellent job in the draft last year and trust their ability to asses players in the draft. But wouldn't a shrewd GM franchise Byrd again? He played great when healthy last year. If he won't sign long term, and you can't trade him (likely could) what you wind up being "stuck" with is a pro bowl safety. Where else are they spending the money?

Look I love the Watkins pick. I think this was an awesome gamble, and I think Whaley / this front office did an excellent job in the draft last year and trust their ability to asses players in the draft. But wouldn't a shrewd GM franchise Byrd again? He played great when healthy last year. If he won't sign long term, and you can't trade him (likely could) what you wind up being "stuck" with is a pro bowl safety. Where else are they spending the money?

Extend Glenn,Dareus,Gilmore, CJ, FJ, Spikes(if he plays out), Hughes, Pears. Other players too but just listing the ones that are starters (other than Pears).

Not saying it will add up to 50 million which they are reported to have now but they money is going to go somewhere this season. Not including the players drafted.

Edited by The Wiz

He (Byrd) clearly didn't want to be here. Why hold him hostage?

A bad pattern seems to be emerging. Looking at this offseason in total (so far) it seems winning may be a goal for the Bills front office, but just a big is cutting the budget, even at the expense of wins. First they let Byrd walk, refusing to even franchise him as it would cost all of $9M...and their plan is to replace him with bargain basement young players already under contract (Duke Williams and Searcy) who both seem suspect. They proceed to spend as little as possible in FA in general and then they trade up to make a splash in the draft (I like Watkins, don't get me wrong). A splash that will put butts in seats and help make the business ledger a little better for the incoming owner. Then they cut Stevie and save another truckload of money, even though it is hard to imagine a scenario where he wouldn't beat out all but one WR the Bills have for a starting spot. These moves may be designed, and actually lead to more wins, but the only thing that is certain is that they ARE major cost cutting measures and attempts at generating more revenue. I get it, it's a business, but for all Doug's bluster about win now, because the fans deserve it, he just dumped two dynamic starters to save $18M in cash. Doug can say it's a new day in all that nonsense, but this certainly has the feel of the same old cheap Bills.

Your thesis is that Whaley is clairvoyant: not only does he know who the next owner will be, but he also knows exactly what that owner wants and how to satisfy him. Care to rethink that?

Do you think the Pats ever let what a player WANTS dictate what the font office does?

The Pats have the luxury of a HoF QB and coach with impressive pedigrees and a surefire berth to a first round playoff bye. That's something we can't offer.

I have not heard more pure crap than that post right there in a long time. And on this board that is saying something. BTW did you miss the part that Stevie will never be more than a #3 WR in SF and that SF will still draft a guy that they hope will knock him down to #4?

great post

They got more for Stevie than I thought they'd be able to at this point.

With the possible exception of going all-in on EJ, I can't think of a move Whaley has made that didn't make sense to me. I wish Stevie well, but am glad we did not waste one minicamp rep on him at the expense of Watkins, Williams, Woods or Goodwin.

Your thesis is that Whaley is clairvoyant: not only does he know who the next owner will be, but he also knows exactly what that owner wants and how to satisfy him. Care to rethink that?

Great use of the word "clairvoyant". I think you just confused 90% of the folks reading this!! Awesome!!

great post

They got more for Stevie than I thought they'd be able to at this point.

With the possible exception of going all-in on EJ, I can't think of a move Whaley has made that didn't make sense to me. I wish Stevie well, but am glad we did not waste one minicamp rep on him at the expense of Watkins, Williams, Woods or Goodwin.

All well said!

They did not franchise him in an effort to get a long term deal done. Why is this so hard for people to understand? Byrd did NOT want to be franchised and would have been pissed. Mean while he wanted to stay...the sides were just off on the money. They franchise him, he walks next year anyway. They chose to let him test the waters given they made a strong offer for him in hopes he would find his value to be what the Bills were offering. It almost worked until NO over paid.

It also wasn't something we needed to do with Williams already extended and filling in for Byrd very well at a better price. Instead of dealing with a hold out situation and ugly contract negotiations, they went down the path that would best resolve the solution one way or the other.

Pretty simple really...and a move I thought was correct.