Doug Whaley's Audition

great post

They got more for Stevie than I thought they'd be able to at this point.

With the possible exception of going all-in on EJ, I can't think of a move Whaley has made that didn't make sense to me. I wish Stevie well, but am glad we did not waste one minicamp rep on him at the expense of Watkins, Williams, Woods or Goodwin.

Exactly, the reps are key for our young players, especially since it was clear Stevie was on his way out.

As far as EJ goes, I think its great they are all in on him. First, it shows they have confidence in him, and quite frankly they know more about him than us. Second, that ONLY way you are going to develop the kid is to go give him the tools he needs to succeed and give him the chance to. You don't need competition for your 2nd year QB when he needs all the snaps he can get. He showed enough promise, made enough plays, and showed enough progress in his short rookie year to give him a chance this year to earn his permanent spot. If it doesn't go well, you bring in QB competition next year.

They did not franchise him in an effort to get a long term deal done. Why is this so hard for people to understand? Byrd did NOT want to be franchised and would have been pissed. Mean while he wanted to stay...the sides were just off on the money. They franchise him, he walks next year anyway. They chose to let him test the waters given they made a strong offer for him in hopes he would find his value to be what the Bills were offering. It almost worked until NO over paid.

It also wasn't something we needed to do with Williams already extended and filling in for Byrd very well at a better price. Instead of dealing with a hold out situation and ugly contract negotiations, they went down the path that would best resolve the solution one way or the other.

Pretty simple really...and a move I thought was correct.

also, who's to know what kind of performance he would have given playing, unhappily, on another franchise deal? would he be playing all out, or would there be an underlying element of self preservation?