Gotta Love Doug Whaley

I'm frustrated by people saying it's for the new owners, it's for the new owners. I don't buy it. They've put their faith and franchise with EJ. They went out and got what they feel is the best weapon in the draft. I can respect that conviction and that approach.

I'm also not sure its the end of SJ. Perhaps Hackett can find better ways to utilize him and hopefully his head is more into football this year knowing that if he stays, there are a bunch of guys on this team who want the #1 receiver slot.

And the part about the "minimal difference between Watkins and the next rated player". As someone said last night in the thread about Watkins, do we expect a GM and say " there's a huge gap between Watkins and Evans/Ebron, ODB etc? It doesn't make sense to say something negative that a possible FA could look at and say oh well Whaley takes shots at other players. It's just not good business.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOGWASH !!

if russ and doug knew for certain they would be retained by new ownership, they would have NEVER traded away next years #1.

this trade/pick was all about their selfish motives to keep their jobs.

I predict the bills will miss the playoffs and they both will be gone.

OK Now go away....

Whaley's direct quote when asked about the difference between Watkins and the next best WR on their board was "THERE WASN'T THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE" -- it's t the 5 or 6 minute mark of the presser

Smoke screen anyone?

We essentially gave up two first round players to acquire one first round player?!?!?! With all our needs, wouldn't two first round players be better? I get why people like TXBILLSFAN say this goes beyond bold, it's reckless.

It seems to me the spectrum of possibilities are...

HUGE MISTAKE <<< ----------------------------------------- >>> BARELY WORTH THE PRICE

Yet Whaley knows this and did the deal anyway. Apparently, he's pretty confident. I'm willing to suspend judgment until we see Watkins in a Bills uni.

BTW, I do think it's awfully cool Watkins is a Bills fan.

What a breath of fresh air from the conservative 'we'll get there' attitude we've seen for so long. People on TSW are lamenting the Watkins pick, but I love it. There are busts, mediocre players in the first round every year, and we made sure that we got a sure thing this year. And with the FA additions this summer, this organization's playoff hopes next year are clearly not just idle rhetoric. If there's one guy to bring the Bills back to the playoffs, it's Doug Whaley. CAN'T WAIT 'TIL SEPTEMBER!!!!!!!!

Everyone will remember Doug Whaley's first draft, that's for sure. Whether it works out or not, only time will tell. But being out at a local bar last night and hearing the cheers and seeing all the high five's after the trade and then after the pick gave me chills, it was an awesome moment. Hopefully, next years 1st round pick is in the 20's and the price doesn't seem so steep. Pretty cool that he was a Bills fan as a child as well....GO BILLS!

I'm frustrated by people saying it's for the new owners, it's for the new owners. I don't buy it. They've put their faith and franchise with EJ. They went out and got what they feel is the best weapon in the draft. I can respect that conviction and that approach.

I'm also not sure its the end of SJ. Perhaps Hackett can find better ways to utilize him and hopefully his head is more into football this year knowing that if he stays, there are a bunch of guys on this team who want the #1 receiver slot.

And the part about the "minimal difference between Watkins and the next rated player". As someone said last night in the thread about Watkins, do we expect a GM and say " there's a huge gap between Watkins and Evans/Ebron, ODB etc? It doesn't make sense to say something negative that a possible FA could look at and say oh well Whaley takes shots at other players. It's just not good business.

How is that negative ? --- if Whaley thought Watkins was clearly the best WR in draft he would just say it -- it doesn't denigrate the other receivers by any means ---

We essentially gave up two first round players to acquire one first round player?!?!?! With all our needs, wouldn't two first round players be better?

I know right, just imagine where the Bills would be without those 1st round picks the past 10 years...

How is that negative ? --- if Whaley thought Watkins was clearly the best WR in draft he would just say it -- it doesn't denigrate the other receivers by any means ---

Many athletes now feel "disrespected" by comments most people would let slide off their shoulder. So to me it's not good business to say oh well he was better than so and so because of this. Evans was drafted soon after, so it would appear TB held him in high regard as well.

I know right, just imagine where the Bills would be without those 1st round picks the past 10 years...

So, what your saying is we SUCK at picking 1st round players, so might as well trade them. Great testimonial to the ineptness of this FO

I just read that quote in the Rochester morning paper. My first thought was “What, does he think Watkins is going to score 25 touchdowns or something?”

Because that’s what it would take to get this team to the playoffs.

Unfortunately we are not one WR away from the playoffs.

A decimated secondary (including their stud CB breaking his wrist), injuries to the top 3 wideouts, and 3 starting quarterbacks in a season, their lightning fast RB running on one good ankle... and losing 3 games by a total of 8 points, 2 of them in OT. This is what they had to deal with last year..

Not to mention targeting needs in FA..

Call me sucker but I think this is the most talented team the Bills have had in YEARS

Edited by billsgpr88

There is a big difference between being BOLD and being RECKLESS, this is closer to RECKLESS. I would applaud BOLD (going after Clowney) because the difference between Clowney and the next DE in draft was significant and DE was position of need. As for Watkins, Whaley himself said the difference between Watkins and next best WR was minimal. To me, this was not a good trade. I love Watkins, but I would rather keep my #1 and take Beckham or Ebron if I thought I needed another ball catcher. I would have preferred a OT.

If Whaley said that, then I highly question his decision making ability. It's one thing to go up and get a guy who is clearly better than the others, but he you really felt that the difference was mininal between Watkins and the others, than this move was assanine. I guess time will tell....

If Whaley said that, then I highly question his decision making ability. It's one thing to go up and get a guy who is clearly better than the others, but he you really felt that the difference was mininal between Watkins and the others, than this move was assanine. I guess time will tell....

The difference between winning and losing in this league is minimal, minimal matters. Besides the Bills wanted Watkins from day 1, so they are not going to come out and say anything to tip their hand. By saying the difference is minimal makes you think they want Evans, well played Doug, well played!

Totally agree. By saying what he daid (if he said it), it totally compromises his decison making perception

This definitely ain't the same old front office of the last 14 years. That was a gutsy move on Whaley's part. It's a 'Win Now' attitude, and I love it. I wouldn't be surprised if Stevie becomes trade bait. They're already making the preparatory moves to move on from him. I don't think Whaley's done wheeling and dealing yet.

A decimated secondary (including their stud CB breaking his wrist), injuries to the top 3 wideouts, and 3 starting quarterbacks in a season, their lightning fast RB running on one good ankle... and losing 3 games by a total of 8 points, 2 of them in OT. This is what they had to deal with last year..

Call me sucker but I think this is the most talented team the Bills have had in YEARS

We're a couple of lollipops, my friend, 'cause I'm with ya.

Is it me, or does Doug Whaley always look like he just smoked a doobie?

That would explain much.

It's not significantly different than the one we had last year that finished us last.

My initial reaction to this is too risky.

But in general, I fully agree, we've been aggressive the last couple years, and I like it. Hopefully it works out sometime soon.

Whaley, like Levy, said he did it to win now.

So if we post another losing season and Watkins doesn't post a ROTY type of season, Whaley needs to be held accountable and fired. This "let's hope it works out soon" mentality is what we've been running on since Polian left.

Whaley, like Levy, said he did it to win now.

So if we post another losing season and Watkins doesn't post a ROTY type of season, Whaley needs to be held accountable and fired. This "let's hope it works out soon" mentality is what we've been running on since Polian left.

Whaley has put the tools in the right place, everyone agrees we have a good team on paper (assuming we get some OL help). I think coaches should be held accountable if we don't win this year, personally.