Jameis Winston cited for stealing crab legs

There was no decision to make. Accepting the suspension would have led to two consecutive seasons of no competition (other than a few games to start the 2013/14 season). He could have gone pro last year and in hindsight he should have. If Winston was suspended a year for his idiotic behavior, he would be declaring for the draft as well.

It was an easy decision, but it was still a decision.

WRT Winston, he could not just enter the draft. You have be 3 years out of high school to be eligible for the NFL Draft.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bolded statement is false. His college career is over because he made that decision. He could have accepted his suspension and played after he served the time. He opted not to.

I assume the punishments vary because drug related suspensions have a set penalty. I would assume the code of conduct each athlete needs to adhere to would be the same and that each specifically prohibits drug use. I doubt there is any rule devoted to stealing crab legs and so the penalty would be up for debate. If there was a rule against it, it would be in the "Don't Be a F#@$ing Idiot" section of the code of conduct.

For the record, Winston has been suspended from the baseball team (hes our closer) until he completes his community service.

I dont know what else the school is supposed to do. They treated it same as any other citation. A felony charge is the only crime that is grounds for an immediate and indefinite suspension, per school rules.

So Mitch McGary's college basketball career is over because he experimented with a joint in private, yet Jameis Winston remains the front runner for the Heisman after attempting to steal crab legs. Both these kids are stupid for what they did, yet their treatment from the NCAA couldn't be more disparate. The NCAA is such a screwed up institution. As much as I hate the idea of changing things (e.g., Northwestern union vote), the current situation is getting pretty intolerable as well.

Yah, yah, Everyone's got an Opilio, -and it stinks.

So Mitch McGary's college basketball career is over because he experimented with a joint in private, yet Jameis Winston remains the front runner for the Heisman after attempting to steal crab legs. Both these kids are stupid for what they did, yet their treatment from the NCAA couldn't be more disparate. The NCAA is such a screwed up institution. As much as I hate the idea of changing things (e.g., Northwestern union vote), the current situation is getting pretty intolerable as well.

If McGary failed a UM drug test it would have been 3 games, since the test occurred during the NCAA tourney he was under NCAA penalty, the NCAA also recently changed their drug suspension policy and it wouldn't have been an auto 1 year suspension as of Aug 1st. He got screwed by being a year too old and for making a young, dumb decision.

The bolded statement is false. His college career is over because he made that decision. He could have accepted his suspension and played after he served the time. He opted not to.

I assume the punishments vary because drug related suspensions have a set penalty. I would assume the code of conduct each athlete needs to adhere to would be the same and that each specifically prohibits drug use. I doubt there is any rule devoted to stealing crab legs and so the penalty would be up for debate. If there was a rule against it, it would be in the "Don't Be a F#@$ing Idiot" section of the code of conduct.

There was no decision to make. Accepting the suspension would have led to two consecutive seasons of no competition (other than a few games to start the 2013/14 season). He could have gone pro last year and in hindsight he should have. If Winston was suspended a year for his idiotic behavior, he would be declaring for the draft as well.

JW cannot declare for this draft, how do people follow football and still get this wrong every year.

• 2 weeks later...

He grabbed only the crab legs and high tailed it out, specifically avoiding security. But yeah, he probably just forgot to pay.

Exactly. He couldn't have acted guiltier even if he tried.

Looks super casual to me. It seems as if it was all part of the program as Marcellus Wiley pointed out earlier on his twitter.

Just pay the kids already. All of this nonsense goes away.

70,000 fans would have been happy to buy the kid crab legs, weed, or hookers. It's not about money, he's a thief.

Not if the store has an arrangement with the players -- and he's falling on the sword. Which is what people around the program are saying.

I didn't know that. Why'd they bust him then?

I didn't know that. Why'd they bust him then?

Anywhere in particular that you are hearing that?

Lots of people at FSU and Marcellus Wiley (who has a talk show in LA) tweeted about it a few times as he has connections to some of the players there. He flat out said it was part of the booster program and Winston is taking the heat to protect the entire program from NCAA sanctions if they found out about the arrangement the store has with FSU players.