All right, sources have reported back, and this happens next Thursday.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sources tell me........Buffalo will take

Round 1. Anthony Barr

Round 2. Kony Ealy

The draft is deep with offensive lineman and WR's this year.

I would take ONE Sammy Watkins over both those players....I'm NOT in favor of trading up, but if keeping the picks meant those two, then yes, trading up to get Watkins is the choice...I'm still hanging on to a sliver of hope that the BILLS trade DOWN and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd...or both would be nice, and take Aaron Donald, Morgan Moses and Donte Moncrief or Kyle Van Noy with the 3rd round being a TE...ugh, so much talent this year....

I don't believe there is as much separation amongst the Top 6-8 players this year, as in year's past and besides Clowney, no slam dunk separation amongst that group, at least in the eyes of the so-called draft experts. Look no further than the gazillion mock drafts -- remove the QB's from discussion and you can practically pick a name out of a hat with the Top 6 or even 8 in this draft and where they get selected.

What does that mean ? I think it means that the infamous trade value chart plays out a bit differently, I don't think picks 2-4 are worth as much and I think picks 5-8 are worth a bit more (again, depending on the QB's). In addition, in a deep draft, like this one 2nd and 3rd round picks are worth more.

So, back to original OP, I think a trade up from 9 to 4 wouldn't cost as much. I'd say Bills would send 9th pick and 41st pick and get back from Cleveland the 4th pick and the 83rd pick -- according to TVC, Bills would give up 1,840 and get back 1,975 -- essentially devaluing 4th pick and overvaluing the Bills 2nd

For what it's worth, I'm against ANY trade up in this draft unless it's very lopsided toward Bills. Sit and wait, as I've posted before, Mosley or Ebron will be there at 9 under worst case. Best case, we can grab one of the 3 OT's.

I don't believe there is as much separation amongst the Top 6-8 players this year, as in year's past and besides Clowney, no slam dunk separation amongst that group, at least in the eyes of the so-called draft experts. Look no further than the gazillion mock drafts -- remove the QB's from discussion and you can practically pick a name out of a hat with the Top 6 or even 8 in this draft and where they get selected.

What does that mean ? I think it means that the infamous trade value chart plays out a bit differently, I don't think picks 2-4 are worth as much and I think picks 5-8 are worth a bit more (again, depending on the QB's). In addition, in a deep draft, like this one 2nd and 3rd round picks are worth more.

So, back to original OP, I think a trade up from 9 to 4 wouldn't cost as much. I'd say Bills would send 9th pick and 41st pick and get back from Cleveland the 4th pick and the 83rd pick -- according to TVC, Bills would give up 1,840 and get back 1,975 -- essentially devaluing 4th pick and overvaluing the Bills 2nd

For what it's worth, I'm against ANY trade up in this draft unless it's very lopsided toward Bills. Sit and wait, as I've posted before, Mosley or Ebron will be there at 9 under worst case. Best case, we can grab one of the 3 OT's.

This is just my opinion: if we come away from having the #9 pick with either Mosley or Ebron I will be incredibly disappointed.

I would take ONE Sammy Watkins over both those players....I'm NOT in favor of trading up, but if keeping the picks meant those two, then yes, trading up to get Watkins is the choice...

As much as I despise giving up #41..I would tend to agree with this take 100%... :thumbsup:

This is just my opinion: if we come away from having the #9 pick with either Mosley or Ebron I will be incredibly disappointed.

Let's try a hypothetical, let's assume you know the Top 8 would go like this:

1-Clowney

2-Robinson

3-Mack

4-Watkins

5-Matthews

6-Lewan

7-Evans

8-Bortles

In that case, would you do the trade in the OP ?

I wouldn't, I'd rather sit at 9 and take Mosley and keep my 2nd to add TE

1-Clowney

2-Robinson

3-Mack

4-Watkins

5-Matthews

6-Lewan

7-Evans

8-Bortles

No...I'd probably stay put and pick Aaron Donald

Sticking to the BPA in spite of quality and decent depth at DT on the roster AND in spite of needs at RT, TE and LB, is that the rationale ?

I say you can never go wrong with BPA...I'm totally comfortable I can get a RT in round 2 and a TE in round 3 given the depth of the class. If the personnel dep't is good, they can find a LB in round 4 too...just my opinion.

1-Clowney

2-Robinson

3-Mack

4-Watkins

5-Matthews

6-Lewan

7-Evans

8-Bortles

I don't think that we will ever see it get to this. If we get past 4 or 5 and a QB is not yet off the board the Bills will certainly be going up. If a couple QBs go in the first 4-5 they may let the draft come to them. In the scenario that you present I cannot see the Bills standing pat as those guys go off the board one by one. They will be targeting guys in this draft and I would imagine that they will secure 1. If they can't get up there they will be going back to get another pick and better value.

I love Stevie, but Sammy is a special player...I'd rather offer a former first round pick (Hughes) and not a 2nd round pick...I'd offer Graham too.

this.

Id give up Stevie and a 1st for him. But that's it. I don't want to give up a 2nd or even a 3rd. Too any other needs. Too deep of a draft. Stevie, Hughes, and our 1st for their 1st. Sounds right.

Here's the thing, history teaches us that of those 6 elite prospects maybe 2 will actually turn out to be elite, 2 will turn out to be pretty good to good, and 2 will turn out to be good to busts. Trading up is for suckers.

yep. Everyone assumes they KNOW who the elite players will be. They don't. Risk needs to be spread around. Edited by mannc

If Sammy Watkins is there at 4, the Bills will trade their 1st, 2nd and Stevie Johnson to Cleveland for the rights to take Sammy Watkins. Something could change, but as of today, this is on the table...Not sure this makes us better, but they see something in Sammy and envision a long term relationship with EJ and him.

If Sammy is not there, they are more than happy with Matthews or Ebron at 9.

okay, I could warm up to this, but do not give away the number 2 …. we need that to draft a RT. If the Bills could somehow pull this off and keep the 2nd round pick, it would be a good deal

No...I'd probably stay put and pick Aaron Donald

Yep. If that top-8 happens and we stay put and take Mosley over Aaron Donald I will set myself on fire. And I'm a huge Bama fan.

Also, for the people that are asking, Sammy Watkins is THAT good. He will be a top-5 WR in the league for a decade. He may be "only" a shade under 6'1, but he can jump through the roof, has the best hands of any WR to come out since AJ Green, and is the best after the catch that I can remember. Not to mention he is a great kid and incredibly hard worker by all accounts. Sammy is the real deal.

Atlanta, Cincinnati, Cleveland games were all down to the wire. If they win those games they're 9-7. Saying a "6-10" team is meaningless. A bounce here or there is all that means. Bills have talent all over the field. They need a RT, but they might like Hairston. Or they might not think it's a dire as you do. As dire as you believe the line to be they were one of the top rushing teams in the NFL and could have finished with a winning record. 2nd year QB's is meaningless too. EJ has to step up. Simple as that. And that's what they seem to be counting on. So they build the talent around him. Watkins is dynamic. I can see how they believe playoffs are a distinct possibility.

Saying 6-10 is not meaningless. Luck, or the bounce of the oblong spheroid has nothing to do with all the constant wrong decisions, and stupid mistakes made by the FO year after year.

This team has been a few players away for 14 years, and can't get it done. They haven't even had but ONE winning season in all that time. One season out of fourteen, and that was 9-7 back in 2004. The closest this team has been to a winning season since 2004 was under Dick Jauron at 7-9 with JP Losman, Trent Edwards at QB...10 years ago.

Year after year the stupidity never seems to end with no accountability until their respective three years are up. This past season the Bills had a relatively weak season schedule, and still went 6-10. Stupid mistakes, and wrong decisions were the reason. The team made obvious choices in the off season that so many fans here questioned, and most of them knew before the season started it wasn't going to go well.

When you look at last years rushing stats, and really break down everything that happened every game, You come away with the understanding that the Bills simply could not control the line of scrimmage by passing or running. The Bills were almost last in every ball control percentage. The Bills ran the ball so well because they ran 70% of the time behind one solid lineman, and they have two very talented RB's. The Bills were ranked 29th in run blocking by PFF.

First off, EJ or any of those young 2nd year QB's aren't going to be able to step it up if they have no pocket to step up into. That O line didn't drastically improve in the off season as the team added yet another scrub at LG, its SSDY .

Sammy Watkins isn't going to make a damn bit of difference on a losing team with the QB's running for their lives.

The Lions have Matthew Stafford at QB and Calvin Johnson and still find ways to lose games. The Texans have Andre Johnson. The Cowboys have Dez Bryant The Falcons have Matt Ryan at QB, Roddy White, Tony Gonzalaz and still went 4-12...etc, etc, etc.

Everyone with all these "sources". Whatever. Even if you did speak to someone in the know, the only thing they would tell you at this point is what they want to get out. I seriously doubt April 30 information is real.

That being said, I hate the idea of giving up a 2nd in this year's draft for ANYTHING because this team is about 5 to 7 players away from being relevant.

I don't think that we will ever see it get to this. If we get past 4 or 5 and a QB is not yet off the board the Bills will certainly be going up. If a couple QBs go in the first 4-5 they may let the draft come to them. In the scenario that you present I cannot see the Bills standing pat as those guys go off the board one by one. They will be targeting guys in this draft and I would imagine that they will secure 1. If they can't get up there they will be going back to get another pick and better value.

So, if you knew there would be a run on non-QB's, you would do the OP trade -- Our 1st, 2nd and Stevie to move up to 4 ?

I say you can never go wrong with BPA...I'm totally comfortable I can get a RT in round 2 and a TE in round 3 given the depth of the class. If the personnel dep't is good, they can find a LB in round 4 too...just my opinion.

I'm for what I would call a modified-BPA; in other words, if the separation between a TE-RT and DT is minimal, I take the positional need amongst the 3 players --- I think that's what most teams do --- in Bills case, I would take Mosley or Ebron over Donald ---