I have an ideal role for Easley

D521646

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Worked for George Wilson" hardly matters. This kid has never caught on with the complexities of NFL WR. Why would anyone think he could learn defense?

His job on ST could not be less complex. Let's let the safeties play safety.

"Worked for George Wilson" matters in this topic. The OP suggested an idea for Easley. Wilson adjusted his game and position to remain on an NFL roster. It matters because it's relevant information that states it can be done. Will it? Probably not. But we're discussing the potential. Using previous history is a good place to start.

Its already been said that he is likely better suited for a WR and SS. So no need rehashing that again. Its also been said the people suggesting the waiver wire is a better place are crazy because he was easily the best ST player we had last year hands down and that has great value.

The bigger question is why can't Easley break through the WR lineup. Couple of unfortunate injuries/illness issues derailed years one and two. Fine, thats a logical reason for having to reprove himself. Teammates have marveled over him in offseason volunteer workouts with each other in more than one off season. He has shown flashes before in preseason of being a dangerous weapon. Yet still doesn't translate to playing time. So lets look at last 2 years.

2 years ago:

Stuck in a regime run by Gailey who universally misused talent on this team. Gailey and company made several questionable decisions in regards to personnel and game plan. This is the same staff that would abandon the run game that would be averaging 7 pc and have scored all our points to instead run 3 times in the 2nd half and let Fitz pass us out of a close game into a blowout loss. This is the same staff that was too stubborn to make changes when things weren't working.

1 year ago:

New regime, probably never even heard of Easley. Some of us, myself included, felt he still had potential. I was one of the few that said he would be a surprise camp player and make the team when most assumed his days were up. And he did just that...however, he still couldn't crack the game rotation even with injuries to other WR's. I think part of the issue was we had Stevie and the new staff drafted 2 rookies they were high on and also wanted to see what they could get out of Graham.

So, on one hand, you can look at the last 2 seasons when he was finally healthy and maybe make a case that he just didn't get a chance. On the other hand, one has to wonder why can't he get a chance while guys like Hogan and Graham do despite not really doing much on the field (especially Hogan).

Its got to be one of 2 reasons: Either he's just had a couple bad breaks and stuck behind others...or there is a hole or two in his game that the coaches see on film or practice. My guess would either be consistent route running and/or focus and knowing his assignments. He has the physical gifts and been healthy, so those can't be the reason. He's a great team guy and works hard from everything I have ever read or head about him.

To be honest, I still think the kid has a lot of potential at WR. I have liked him since college. Our front office has said they like our WR's and don't think we need to add a size guy...well we will see come draft day how much they believe that. If we don't take a WR in the first few rounds, then I would say that is a strong endorsement of the WRs behind SJ, Woods, and Goodwin...like Easley...and that maybe they plan to giving him and the others a chance to earn a bigger role this year.

Personally, I still think Easley has the ability to surprise some people yet again.

Its already been said that he is likely better suited for a WR and SS. So no need rehashing that again. Its also been said the people suggesting the waiver wire is a better place are crazy because he was easily the best ST player we had last year hands down and that has great value.

The bigger question is why can't Easley break through the WR lineup. Couple of unfortunate injuries/illness issues derailed years one and two. Fine, thats a logical reason for having to reprove himself. Teammates have marveled over him in offseason volunteer workouts with each other in more than one off season. He has shown flashes before in preseason of being a dangerous weapon. Yet still doesn't translate to playing time. So lets look at last 2 years.

2 years ago:

Stuck in a regime run by Gailey who universally misused talent on this team. Gailey and company made several questionable decisions in regards to personnel and game plan. This is the same staff that would abandon the run game that would be averaging 7 pc and have scored all our points to instead run 3 times in the 2nd half and let Fitz pass us out of a close game into a blowout loss. This is the same staff that was too stubborn to make changes when things weren't working.

1 year ago:

New regime, probably never even heard of Easley. Some of us, myself included, felt he still had potential. I was one of the few that said he would be a surprise camp player and make the team when most assumed his days were up. And he did just that...however, he still couldn't crack the game rotation even with injuries to other WR's. I think part of the issue was we had Stevie and the new staff drafted 2 rookies they were high on and also wanted to see what they could get out of Graham.

So, on one hand, you can look at the last 2 seasons when he was finally healthy and maybe make a case that he just didn't get a chance. On the other hand, one has to wonder why can't he get a chance while guys like Hogan and Graham do despite not really doing much on the field (especially Hogan).

Its got to be one of 2 reasons: Either he's just had a couple bad breaks and stuck behind others...or there is a hole or two in his game that the coaches see on film or practice. My guess would either be consistent route running and/or focus and knowing his assignments. He has the physical gifts and been healthy, so those can't be the reason. He's a great team guy and works hard from everything I have ever read or head about him.

To be honest, I still think the kid has a lot of potential at WR. I have liked him since college. Our front office has said they like our WR's and don't think we need to add a size guy...well we will see come draft day how much they believe that. If we don't take a WR in the first few rounds, then I would say that is a strong endorsement of the WRs behind SJ, Woods, and Goodwin...like Easley...and that maybe they plan to giving him and the others a chance to earn a bigger role this year.

Personally, I still think Easley has the ability to surprise some people yet again.

Good post Alpha, :thumbsup:

Marcus Easley led the NFL in total yardage by a WR last preseason and has shown play making ability on numerous occasions during practice sessions.

Easley has also excelled in the Special Teams department showing versatility.

Guys got speed, size, and play making ability.

Now you compare Easley with the low productivity of a TG Graham and one asks himself

"why hasn't Marcus Easley been given a chance with the 1st team Offense"

Good post Alpha, :thumbsup:

Marcus Easley led the NFL in total yardage by a WR last preseason and has shown play making ability on numerous occasions during practice sessions.

Easley has also excelled in the Special Teams department showing versatility.

Guys got speed, size, and play making ability.

Now you compare Easley with the low productivity of a TG Graham and one asks himself

"why hasn't Marcus Easley been given a chance with the 1st team Offense"

Two different HC's and OC's have already answered that question for you. Why keep asking it?

Two different HC's and OC's have already answered that question for you. Why keep asking it?

New regimes always want to put their own stamp on a team, and generally speaking, give their draft picks the 1st opportunity to break the starting lineup,

and Marcus Easley has suffered the consequences in my opinion...

2 pages on Easley. It is the off season!

Anyway, alpha wraps it up nicely. The Bills wanted to see what we have in our unit for 2014. We know SJ13. We don't have to question that. The staff .may not have known him of the bat but they probably realized his talent quickly.

After him we have Robert Woods who seemed average, at least in the sense of fitting the bill for the average good WR making a transition in to the NFL. He did not seem that far off of many of the larger slow to bloom WR's and it was clear coaching was not effective on the young man, as he still showed lapses in his play that were costly to his game

Graham is the ideal first guy off the bench on a deep unit. A good #3 because he has speed and has improved his route running. If he can learn to catch and develop his body awareness his athleticism will kick in. Again, I think it is coaching. In two years he has had 2 coaches and completely different philosophies. He needed playing time.

Goodwin, what can't you say about him? He may not get many reps but he makes the best of what he can and that is OK by me. The #4WR position, or the ideal sub package player he will stretch a field and draw respect. He doesn't need more time but the team will likely benefit if he does get some. Staying healthy will be key.

Hogan was a veteran who can play football. But that's at a lesser level then any one would hope. He had heart but he did doesn't need playing time to develop. He has hit his ceiling.

Easley is the one player that needs reps the most on this team. Weigh it out above the rest above. Its clear. The guy does have talent. He does know how to play. He is smart. Quick. And talented. There is no reason not to kick the tires and see if he can be the #3/ 1st off the bench.

because he sucks. he's terrible. we should only have stars at WR's. Steve Smith. Vincent Jackson. Calvin Johnson. Larry Fitzgerald. Anquan Boldin.

SJ13 ain't even a #1! Easley therefore is like a #37.

#FootballFanLogic

Hey maybe we should only have stars at EVERY position !!! Genius.

Three back to back 1000 yard seasons with below average qb's must mean you're only a number two or three receiver. We have a great running game, who's our 'number one' there?

New regimes always want to put their own stamp on a team, and generally speaking, give their draft picks the 1st opportunity to break the starting lineup,

and Marcus Easley has suffered the consequences in my opinion...

So the new regime, led by a guy who coached for four years in the same Big East that Marcus Easley starred in for one year, is blissfully unaware of this guy's star potential?

Maybe Easley is just a warrior in practice and can't translate it to the games. Look, I'd love for everyone who believes in the kid to be right. I'd also like to point out that I and others have been saying this exact same thing for the past three offseasons. I am not sure how he has instilled so much belief in a fanbase that is usually pretty quick to draw a dagger on better players.

True, that.

Anyway, alpha wraps it up nicely. The Bills wanted to see what we have in our unit for 2014. We know SJ13. We don't have to question that. The staff .may not have known him of the bat but they probably realized his talent quickly.

After him we have Robert Woods who seemed average, at least in the sense of fitting the bill for the average good WR making a transition in to the NFL. He did not seem that far off of many of the larger slow to bloom WR's and it was clear coaching was not effective on the young man, as he still showed lapses in his play that were costly to his game

Graham is the ideal first guy off the bench on a deep unit. A good #3 because he has speed and has improved his route running. If he can learn to catch and develop his body awareness his athleticism will kick in. Again, I think it is coaching. In two years he has had 2 coaches and completely different philosophies. He needed playing time.

Goodwin, what can't you say about him? He may not get many reps but he makes the best of what he can and that is OK by me. The #4WR position, or the ideal sub package player he will stretch a field and draw respect. He doesn't need more time but the team will likely benefit if he does get some. Staying healthy will be key.

Hogan was a veteran who can play football. But that's at a lesser level then any one would hope. He had heart but he did doesn't need playing time to develop. He has hit his ceiling.

Easley is the one player that needs reps the most on this team. Weigh it out above the rest above. Its clear. The guy does have talent. He does know how to play. He is smart. Quick. And talented. There is no reason not to kick the tires and see if he can be the #3/ 1st off the bench.

Where is the evidence of the bolded part? He has good training camps? This same staff, after a season of watching Graham and Easley, STILL wouldn't put Easley in ahead of Graham--even at the end of the season.

A succession of coaches have been kicking Easley's tires for several years now--and every year we get this same thread as though something is going to change --this year. They have decided that he is best at simply running down the filed covering kicks.

I would rather they pick a stud WR in the first than wonder whether a guy drafted as a WR 4 years ago is actually a WR.

Where is the evidence of the bolded part? He has good training camps? This same staff, after a season of watching Graham and Easley, STILL wouldn't put Easley in ahead of Graham--even at the end of the season.

A succession of coaches have been kicking Easley's tires for several years now--and every year we get this same thread as though something is going to change --this year. They have decided that he is best at simply running down the filed covering kicks.

I would rather they pick a stud WR in the first than wonder whether a guy drafted as a WR 4 years ago is actually a WR.

two coaching regimes. Three OC's. And he has hung on. Just going on benefit of the doubt that he is not just here for special teams because they sure didn't seem to care about who was on them the last year or two

That's every thread, every year. You may as well just quit the boards if that's an issue.