Game of Thrones Part Deax: The Readers Thread

Kevin

I think the issue the show writers are getting to is that they are reaching a point in the books for some characters where they disappear for a while and that doesn't work well for viewers.

Bran is close to the point where we last see him in book 5 so my guess is they have to create more stories for him, and maybe some other characters upcoming, to delay catching up to the books too soon.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in some areas they follow the books closely, but I've seen a lot of areas where they ventured from the original storyline. reread my posts in this thread, I have listed all of the areas I feel they veered.

It's been a while since I read most of the books, and I haven't watched this season yet...so sorry if some of this is off, but for me, the deviations from the book have all been minor up until now. Even Rob's wife getting killed at the Red Wedding was minor since she didn't have a continued story line in the books. So while it was graphic and surprising, it didn't deviate form the overall plots. But some of these things being talked about now are going to alter the storylines of the major characters.

I may have to stop reading all of these spoilers. Before I didn't really care because I basically new everything that was going to happen anyway; it was just the presentation that mattered. Now I think it may be more fun to just wait and watch the episodes when the season's are released.

It's been a while since I read most of the books, and I haven't watched this season yet...so sorry if some of this is off, but for me, the deviations from the book have all been minor up until now. Even Rob's wife getting killed at the Red Wedding was minor since she didn't have a continued story line in the books. So while it was graphic and surprising, it didn't deviate form the overall plots. But some of these things being talked about now are going to alter the storylines of the major characters.

I may have to stop reading all of these spoilers. Before I didn't really care because I basically new everything that was going to happen anyway; it was just the presentation that mattered. Now I think it may be more fun to just wait and watch the episodes when the season's are released.

I've also said I need to re-read the books too many fuzzy recollections

They never continued Rickon either in the books yet he's (supposedly) still alive. I still think Robs wife is pregnant and in or near Riverrun.

why did they make Jamie rape his sister when it was consensual? Jamie was turning out to be a nice(er) guy in both

I thought it was Margaery's grandmother that offed Joffrey and yet both she (grams) and Littlefoot took credit.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Ghost was left at castle black in the books. Bran was never at Crasters. And what happened to the dead Ranger on the elk that saved Sam and Gilly and took Bran north?

And what the hell is up with the Whitewalker demons? DAMN!

why did they make Jamie rape his sister when it was consensual? Jamie was turning out to be a nice(er) guy in both

I thought it was Margaery's grandmother that offed Joffrey and yet both she (grams) and Littlefoot took credit.

The rape scene was definitely not like in the books, but the situation in the TV show was also different. In the books, Jamie had just returned to King's Landing after being away for so long, so he wasn't there for Joffrey's death. They saw each other for the first time while in the sept, and lustily went after each other. In the TV show, Jamie had already been back in King's Landing for perhaps weeks, was present for Joffrey's death (and was supposed to be protecting him), and he and Cersei had already been quarreling. So the sex scene in the sept took place under very different circumstances, and as such at least it makes some sense that Cersei did not consent (at first). Not that I agree with creating that scene, but that at least might explain it.

As for Margaery's grandmother, it was the same as in the books -- although in the books, grams doesn't come straight out and admit it like in the TV show. In the books, it was still Littlefinger who orchestrated it all, along with the grams, by using Sansa and Ser Dontos to get the poison where it needed to be during the wedding.

Ghost was left at castle black in the books. Bran was never at Crasters. And what happened to the dead Ranger on the elk that saved Sam and Gilly and took Bran north?

Coldhands. Yeah, that's basically the only person Bran et al met once they got outside the Wall, until they find the Three-Eyed Crow. But like someone else posted, I guess this is a way to introduce some drama into that storyline and to drag it out longer so they don't catch up as fast.

Man, that would suck if the TV show catches up and surpasses the books...

was the part where Sam killed the whitewalker was different too?

Wasn't he straggling behind the men returning to wherever when he killed the whitewalker with the obsidian knife?

Yeah and some of the Rangers witnessed it too.

BUMP

Well, Bran and Jon don't meet north of the wall, he's reunited with Ghost at Crasters not at the castle black.

last nights episode was as boring as many chapters in the books. Only the sword through the back of the head was truly entertaining.

Who killed Jon Arryn again?

Lysa’s howling at the moon was true to the books IIRC

last nights episode was as boring as many chapters in the books. Only the sword through the back of the head was truly entertaining.

Oh come on. That scene with Arrya and the Hound was worth watching it for alone.I really liked the Brienne and Pod scene as well.

Oh come on. That scene with Arrya and the Hound was worth watching it for alone.I really liked the Brienne and Pod scene as well.

this the book thread? Ok then

when Arrya does him in I'll be excited.

I got bored with the Danny being queen portion of the books. I wanted dragons flaming her enemies.

the hound slapping Arrya was not power packed excitement, nor was Pod and Brienne plodding along a road.

I started rereading from book 2.

anyone seen Parchface at all on the show? (from under the sea oh oh oh)

this the book thread? Ok then

when Arrya does him in I'll be excited.

I got bored with the Danny being queen portion of the books. I wanted dragons flaming her enemies.

the hound slapping Arrya was not power packed excitement, nor was Pod and Brienne plodding along a road.

I started rereading from book 2.

anyone seen Parchface at all on the show? (from under the sea oh oh oh)

You mean Patchface? Haven't seen anything of him on the show that I can recall.

I thought last night's episode was a little slow, but I liked it since many of the storylines got back on track -- especially Bran's. They took some liberties with that one, especially Bran warging into Hodor to kill the Bolton guy (Locke), but I thought it was well done. And now Bran and the group are free to get back to searching for the one-eyed crow.

I think they're doing great with the Littlefinger-Sansa storyline, the Brienne and Pod storyline, and others.

I don't know what they're planning on doing with Arya and the Hound...they already had the encounter at the Inn where the Hound was "mortally" wounded, but he wasn't wounded in the show. Not sure how they plan on getting Arya the opportunity to rid herself of the Hound.

You mean Patchface? Haven't seen anything of him on the show that I can recall.

I thought last night's episode was a little slow, but I liked it since many of the storylines got back on track -- especially Bran's. They took some liberties with that one, especially Bran warging into Hodor to kill the Bolton guy (Locke), but I thought it was well done. And now Bran and the group are free to get back to searching for the one-eyed crow.

I think they're doing great with the Littlefinger-Sansa storyline, the Brienne and Pod storyline, and others.

I don't know what they're planning on doing with Arya and the Hound...they already had the encounter at the Inn where the Hound was "mortally" wounded, but he wasn't wounded in the show. Not sure how they plan on getting Arya the opportunity to rid herself of the Hound.

damn typo hit the r not the t.

his quirkiness and prophetic babble would fit in well IF they follow along with the Greyjoy clan storyline. Gods beneath the sea and all.

Locke gets it later in the books IIRC, so all in all he's gone.

Was it at the inn or highway robbers that wound the Hound.

Arrya has to go to the faceless men's temple or I'd be disappointing in a sense.

Was it at the inn or highway robbers that wound the Hound.

Arrya has to go to the faceless men's temple or I'd be disappointing in a sense.

Yeah, it was at the inn. Sandor had too much to drink, which is why he had so much trouble with them. In the TV show there were five of them, but in the books there were only three -- Polliver, the Tickler, and a boy squire. Sandor removed half of Polliver's face, but not before he had taken a few serious wounds, including losing his ear. Arya took care of the Tickler, took back Needle from Polliver, and finished off the squire.

She will most definitely end up at the temple in Braavos, I have to think -- they've already shown flashes of Braavos in the TV teasers, so we know it will be part of the storyline.

There's nothing about Aryas dreams about her wolf. Wasn't her wolf the one that pulled Cat Stark out of the Trident?

True, good point. We never know for certain it was her wolf, but yeah, it was her wolf. I bloody well can't wait to see that on the TV show, if they include it. They'd better.

There's nothing about Aryas dreams about her wolf. Wasn't her wolf the one that pulled Cat Stark out of the Trident?

the pisser is the timeline that the books were written in. whats fresh in memory still happened long before if you get my meaning.

my guess is that it will be next season.

will they get to Nymeria leading the large pack of wolves?

how well will the Ironborn fit in? my guess is that it will be next season as well.

how well will the Ironborn fit in? my guess is that it will be next season as well.

Yeah, I can't see them going into the rest of the ironborn until next season, but it would be hard to just ignore them completely. They already have Theon, Asha (now Yara apparently), and Balon, so they're set up for it. I'm guessing they'll need to off Balon either by the end of the season or the start of next season, which could kick things off with the other characters.

Yeah, it was at the inn. Sandor had too much to drink, which is why he had so much trouble with them. In the TV show there were five of them, but in the books there were only three -- Polliver, the Tickler, and a boy squire. Sandor removed half of Polliver's face, but not before he had taken a few serious wounds, including losing his ear. Arya took care of the Tickler, took back Needle from Polliver, and finished off the squire.

re-reading I'm still almost 2 books from that scene so I found a snippet correlating the two

Seeking shelter at the inn at the crossroads, they ran afoul of two of Gregor's men and their squire. When the two groups came to blows, Sandor killed Polliver and held off the Tickler but was seriously injured in the fight due to inebriation and hunger. The two were victorious, and though Arya dressed his wounds, they quickly became infected; still hating him, Arya refused to grant him the mercy of a quick death. She abandoned Sandor to die under a tree by the Trident, and his fate becomes uncertain after this point

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Sandor_Clegane

this goes to the Ironborn comments

Who met Theon when he returned to the Iron Islands for the first time in a decade?

Uncle Aeron (Damphair) or his sister Asha (aka Yara) on a single horse?

Hmm, good question. My initial reaction is that it was Damphair. I think Asha arrived later to take him back to the castle. I'd have to go back and look...

I wonder when the other Ironborn characters will be introduced to the TV show? My guess would be the start of next season.

Hmm, good question. My initial reaction is that it was Damphair. I think Asha arrived later to take him back to the castle. I'd have to go back and look...

I wonder when the other Ironborn characters will be introduced to the TV show? My guess would be the start of next season.

I'm only up to Arya on her way to the Wall / Winterfell when they get attacked and have to scatter, but before she, Gendry, Hot Pie and the others get captured.

I read a story on Yahoo, may have been old) but they asked Theon's real life sister to play his sister when he's riding with and groping her.

she said sorry no.

I have no idea why this was posted recently when that episode aired a long time ago.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6084941/lily-allen-game-of-thrones-brother-incest-alfie-allen-reddit-AMA

So.... a bite to the neck does in the Hound? WTF. I wanted an honorable fight to finish him off

IT looks like the Mountain is a different actor this season

Fight Nite for Tyrian's innocence.

To the Moon (door) Lysa!!!

What happened to the witness who was there to verify that Lysa was threatening Sansa.

What happened to the witness who was there to verify that Lysa was threatening Sansa.

I don't recall there being a witness. I could be wrong though. Can't wait to see the fight. Hope the Prince wins. Would love to see a change there.

IIRC there was a servant in the wings or by the door.

I can't recall exactly, but I think it was a guard. Littlefinger pegged the death on him, and I believe he was hanged for it.

I can't recall exactly, but I think it was a guard. Littlefinger pegged the death on him, and I believe he was hanged for it.

It was Marillion, the singer who accompanied Catelyn to the Eryie after she had Tyrion taken prisoner.

Edited by Brandon

It was Marillion, the singer who accompanied Catelyn to the Eryie after she had Tyrion taken prisoner.

Ah yes, that is correct. A great twist, now that I recall.

this goes to the Ironborn comments

Who met Theon when he returned to the Iron Islands for the first time in a decade?

Uncle Aeron (Damphair) or his sister Asha (aka Yara) on a single horse?

I got to this part in the books (again)

Theon meets with a "girl" on the docks as he's looking at his new ship and after flirting he offers her a ride to Pyke.

TV he went into her pants , in the book he only groped her breast.

Loved it! Sansa coming out with her hair dyed black? How HOT was that? I think her storyline might change a bit!

Maybe, IIRC Sansa changed here hair color in the books too. but it may have been sooner than they showed in the show. (maybe before Lysa's fall to after the fall)

tumblr_n6jiyavFCc1qklgy5o2_500.gif

Arya arrives 3 days after Lysa "falls" and the guards don't put 1+1 together......

Maybe, IIRC Sansa changed here hair color in the books too. but it may have been sooner than they showed in the show. (maybe before Lysa's fall to after the fall)

tumblr_n6jiyavFCc1qklgy5o2_500.gif

Arya arrives 3 days after Lysa "falls" and the guards don't put 1+1 together......

I don't recall her dying her hair. But I did notice that "swag" as she walked down the steps. Not like her at all. I wonder what's in store for her in the series?!?

I don't recall her dying her hair. But I did notice that "swag" as she walked down the steps. Not like her at all. I wonder what's in store for her in the series?!?

I recall in the books she died her hair before she arrived at Vale. So she would look less like Catelyn's daughter. Remember the books description of her is essentially a younger Catelyn.

It seems like they're growing her up a bit more quickly than in the books at this point. She is giving the impression that she understands the power she could hold over Littlefinger -- and others -- but I didn't get that (yet) from the books.

It seems like they're growing her up a bit more quickly than in the books at this point. She is giving the impression that she understands the power she could hold over Littlefinger -- and others -- but I didn't get that (yet) from the books.

that's another thing. many characters are older than "what they should be" in the books. Margaery Tyrell but a mere teen not late teens,

Sansa is smart but ...... she's more a follower than a leader

that's another thing. many characters are older than "what they should be" in the books. Margaery Tyrell but a mere teen not late teens,

Sansa is smart but ...... she's more a follower than a leader

I heard GRRM at one point admitted that he probably made the kids in the books too young. Should have made them a little older.

The battle of Castle Black was pretty awesome. Wonder if Tyrion gets his revenge next week? Or maybe it starts next season! Only one more episode left right?

The battle of Castle Black was pretty awesome. Wonder if Tyrion gets his revenge next week? Or maybe it starts next season! Only one more episode left right?

I believe next week is the season finale. (bummer)

the fight was pretty good, the giant in tunnel was a bit off. IIRC the giant "blocks" the tunnel so other wildlings can't get past him.

Does the timeline seem off?

the fight at the wall with the 10000's of wildlings ..........

Where's Stannis? wasn't he stuck in the snow fighting someone?

Arya is still with the Dog when she should be off to Bravos.

Does the timeline seem off?

the fight at the wall with the 10000's of wildlings ..........

Where's Stannis? wasn't he stuck in the snow fighting someone?

Arya is still with the Dog when she should be off to Bravos.

That was just the first day of battle, still many thousands of wildlings left. I thought they generally did a great job with the battle. Stannis will show up in the last episode to save the day, as expected. One thing I don't remember -- does Jon go beyond the Wall before the war is over?

Not sure exactly where they're going with Arya/Hound, although they've set things up with his festering neck wound.

I think the last episode will feature four major events -- the Stannis rescue, the Hound's "death", and they have to include Tyrion's revenge. The big question...do they reveal the fate of Catelyn to leave everyone hanging at the very end?

I think the last episode will feature four major events -- the Stannis rescue, the Hound's "death", and they have to include Tyrion's revenge. The big question...do they reveal the fate of Catelyn to leave everyone hanging at the very end?

I'm going to say yes.

Probably something along the lines of Arya/Hound first, then some Tyrion, followed by a seemingly token Brienne/Pod scene where they're captured by the Brotherhood, then Stannis saving the day, then Tyrion's break and revenge being shown as the big payoff...but it's actually a red-herring for the real payoff, as they shift to Brienne/Pod arriving at the Brotherhood's encampment where Lady Stoneheart is revealed ending the season on a mega-huge cliffhanger.