Game of Thrones Part Deax: The Readers Thread

Kevin

I'm going to say yes.

Probably something along the lines of Arya/Hound first, then some Tyrion, followed by a seemingly token Brienne/Pod scene where they're captured by the Brotherhood, then Stannis saving the day, then Tyrion's break and revenge being shown as the big payoff...but it's actually a red-herring for the real payoff, as they shift to Brienne/Pod arriving at the Brotherhood's encampment where Lady Stoneheart is revealed ending the season on a mega-huge cliffhanger.

That might work, but I wonder if that's too much of an advancement of the Brienne/Pod story.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That might work, but I wonder if that's too much of an advancement of the Brienne/Pod story.

It's pretty much confirmed at this point that it will be Brienne vs The Hound. There are trailer screenshots of the Hound squaring off against someone wearing Brienne's armor. There are also leaked Emmy submissions that confirm the Hound losing an ear and sustaining a compound fracture to his leg. The actor that plays Brienne has said in an interview that she bites a man's ear off and spits it in his face.

Arya won't trust Brienne because of her Lannister blade and will run off to Braavos.

Then Lady Stoneheart will appear as the very last scene.

I'm really excited to see how they handle the Hound's "death". It's pretty much fact at this point that he isn't actually dead.

Edited by Fingon

I'm going to say yes.

Probably something along the lines of Arya/Hound first, then some Tyrion, followed by a seemingly token Brienne/Pod scene where they're captured by the Brotherhood, then Stannis saving the day, then Tyrion's break and revenge being shown as the big payoff...but it's actually a red-herring for the real payoff, as they shift to Brienne/Pod arriving at the Brotherhood's encampment where Lady Stoneheart is revealed ending the season on a mega-huge cliffhanger.

That may be right , but again I think the timeline is off. .

if that happens than we will se a lot of other characters and the rest will be sitting "idle" for a full season or so.

It's pretty much confirmed at this point that it will be Brienne vs The Hound. There are trailer screenshots of the Hound squaring off against someone wearing Brienne's armor. There are also leaked Emmy submissions that confirm the Hound losing an ear and sustaining a compound fracture to his leg. The actor that plays Brienne has said in an interview that she bites a man's ear off and spits it in his face.

Arya won't trust Brienne because of her Lannister blade and will run off to Braavos.

Then Lady Stoneheart will appear as the very last scene.

I'm really excited to see how they handle the Hound's "death". It's pretty much fact at this point that he isn't actually dead.

but wont the Brianne v the Hound muck with the Arys / Bravos storyline?

Brianne will lift Arya just as easy as the Hound could.

That may be right , but again I think the timeline is off. .

if that happens than we will se a lot of other characters and the rest will be sitting "idle" for a full season or so.

but wont the Brianne v the Hound muck with the Arys / Bravos storyline?

Brianne will lift Arya just as easy as the Hound could.

http://i.imgur.com/4xuuxcf.jpg

It's clearly Brienne.

http://i.imgur.com/4xuuxcf.jpg

It's clearly Brienne.

Damn, thanks ..... I'd still hate to see Arya not go to bravos...... Trying to remember where the book left off.. Did Brianne meet Lady Stoneheart when she and Pod "visited" with the Brotherhood?

rereading book 2, I'm at the point when Theon captures Winterfell and meets "Reek" .... something about being in the service of the bastard of Dreadfort (Bolton) til the Starks give him an arrow in the back as a wedding gift. ( allowing Reek 1 to escape ....)

Is Ramsay a second bastard?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Damn, thanks ..... I'd still hate to see Arya not go to bravos...... Trying to remember where the book left off.. Did Brianne meet Lady Stoneheart when she and Pod "visited" with the Brotherhood?

rereading book 2, I'm at the point when Theon captures Winterfell and meets "Reek" .... something about the bastard of Bolton (?) getting shot with an arrow allowing Reek 1 to escape ....

I'm thinking Arya escapes while the Hound and Brienne are fighting. They've introduced Braavos with Stannis going there, and it's been in the main title credits the last couple weeks. Plus, Arya going across the narrow sea is vital to her story-line.

rereading book 2, I'm at the point when Theon captures Winterfell and meets "Reek" .... something about being in the service of the bastard of Dreadfort (Bolton) til the Starks give him an arrow in the back as a wedding gift. ( allowing Reek 1 to escape ....)

Is Ramsay a second bastard?

The real Reek and Ramsay had swapped identities

If you guys want to know the identity of Azor Ahai check out this link:

http://www.reddit.co..._is_a_valyrian/

Aeksio Onos = Lord of Light in Valyrian

Aeksion Ondos = one of the characters we've met

There is a very, very good chance Lord of Light is mistranslated. It would not surprise me at all if it was originally the 2nd phrase but someone decided that didn't make sense and changed it to the 1st. Seems like a very GRRM thing to do considering every character says prophesy is very misleading.

Edited by Fingon

since this is just my own interpretation

seriously? a made up language for a TV show and this guy (alexwebb2) is transcribing it like he's translating a bible?

Many of the words were created by GRRM himself, and the likelihood of creating a language that has Lord of Light and Golden Hand being almost identical is extremely low. Especially, since the words for sun and gold share no relation.

There is actually a dictionary with all the words and their definitions.

http://wiki.dothraki.org/High_Valyrian_Vocabulary

You can see that the two terms Aeksio Onos and Aeksion Ondos are indeed correctly translated.

......One thing I don't remember -- does Jon go beyond the Wall before the war is over?

I'm a little vague in my memory(& I can't be bothered looking it up), but there was the whole "magic horn" that can bring down the wall story in the books which had Jon going North of the wall IIRC.

I'm thinking Arya escapes while the Hound and Brienne are fighting. They've introduced Braavos with Stannis going there, and it's been in the main title credits the last couple weeks. Plus, Arya going across the narrow sea is vital to her story-line.

nice call did you see a sneak preview?

I'm a little vague in my memory(& I can't be bothered looking it up), but there was the whole "magic horn" that can bring down the wall story

in the books which had Jon going North of the wall IIRC.

its the (broken) horn that Sam found with the obsidian. It's the item Mance was looking for. I don't recall if they mentioned it in the show

IF they break the wall... doesn't that defeat stopping the white walkers and their army?

with the story as it sits we'll see a lot of Arya, Tyrion's travels, Danny sitting in Meereen governing, some of John and Stannis at the wall and a whole new cast of new characters

what do we have to wait... 6 months, 8 months? damn

nice call did you see a sneak preview?

its the (broken) horn that Sam found with the obsidian. It's the item Mance was looking for. I don't recall if they mentioned it in the show

IF they break the wall... doesn't that defeat stopping the white walkers and their army?

with the story as it sits we'll see a lot of Arya, Tyrion's travels, Danny sitting in Meereen governing, some of John and Stannis at the wall and a whole new cast of new characters

what do we have to wait... 6 months, 8 months? damn

I would think that the emergence of Dorne in the picture will be a relative focal point of next season as well.

I would think that the emergence of Dorne in the picture will be a relative focal point of next season as well.

One would think that the writer/directors need to extend things out a few years, if possible, while George keeps ahead of them as long as he can. If that's the case, I would expect to see the Dorne storyline with the Martells, Tyrion's adventures across the sea with the Targaryen boy, and hopefully the Ironborn storyline with Euron and Victarion. Cersei and Arya should keep them busy for at least another season as well. I'd say they probably have enough material for two more seasons right now, depending on how much they string it out.

If George can come out with Book 6 by the end of this year/beginning of next year, I expect that would extend the show another couple of seasons beyond that. Still not enough to account for Book 7, unless George has enough material right now for more than one book. I doubt that, though.

I have no idea what they're going to do in the TV show with Bran and Sansa, however, since both of those storylines are near the end. I can't imagine we'll see much of them the next season or two, unless they decide to push ahead of George with their storylines. Not sure I see that happening, not yet at least.

As for the Horn of Joramun, I believe Mance has it when Jon encountered him beyond the Wall, before Stannis showed up. He offered it in exchange for safe passage through the Wall. If not, Tormund was supposed to blow it and bring down the Wall.

Edited by Rubes

One would think that the writer/directors need to extend things out a few years, if possible, while George keeps ahead of them as long as he can. If that's the case, I would expect to see the Dorne storyline with the Martells, Tyrion's adventures across the sea with the Targaryen boy, and hopefully the Ironborn storyline with Euron and Victarion. Cersei and Arya should keep them busy for at least another season as well. I'd say they probably have enough material for two more seasons right now, depending on how much they string it out.

If George can come out with Book 6 by the end of this year/beginning of next year, I expect that would extend the show another couple of seasons beyond that. Still not enough to account for Book 7, unless George has enough material right now for more than one book. I doubt that, though.

I have no idea what they're going to do in the TV show with Bran and Sansa, however, since both of those storylines are near the end. I can't imagine we'll see much of them the next season or two, unless they decide to push ahead of George with their storylines. Not sure I see that happening, not yet at least.

As for the Horn of Joramun, I believe Mance has it when Jon encountered him beyond the Wall, before Stannis showed up. He offered it in exchange for safe passage through the Wall. If not, Tormund was supposed to blow it and bring down the Wall.

It's my understanding that the show directors have been given carte blanche to run with the story (and that they've been given the general outline of the ending); I fully expect the show to pass the books and wrap up in 7 seasons as originally intended...although I suppose there's always the possibility they'll stretch it to 8.

It's my understanding that the show directors have been given carte blanche to run with the story (and that they've been given the general outline of the ending); I fully expect the show to pass the books and wrap up in 7 seasons as originally intended...although I suppose there's always the possibility they'll stretch it to 8.

I've heard that as well, but I'm not sure if they've been given the full green light to move ahead of the books just yet. I think it's probably in everyone's best interest not to proceed too quickly, but you never know. My guess is that they'll proceed slowly enough to let Book 6 come out before the TV show ventures into its material, and then pass by it in a couple of years since they won't want to wait years and years for Book 7.

I've heard that as well, but I'm not sure if they've been given the full green light to move ahead of the books just yet. I think it's probably in everyone's best interest not to proceed too quickly, but you never know. My guess is that they'll proceed slowly enough to let Book 6 come out before the TV show ventures into its material, and then pass by it in a couple of years since they won't want to wait years and years for Book 7.

Yes I think they'll tread lightly on getting ahead of things until Winds of Winter comes out (assuming it's going to be published by the time next season comes out). Then of course there's the likelihood that 7 books isn't going to be enough (or at least that's what GRRM is saying now).

The show has really hosed some things up for Martin's timing of the books; it'll be very interesting to see how he proceeds.

Yes I think they'll tread lightly on getting ahead of things until Winds of Winter comes out (assuming it's going to be published by the time next season comes out). Then of course there's the likelihood that 7 books isn't going to be enough (or at least that's what GRRM is saying now).

The show has really hosed some things up for Martin's timing of the books; it'll be very interesting to see how he proceeds.

What's interesting is if you look at the timing of the book releases and the timing of the show releases.

The first season of the TV show started and finished in 2011, basically covering Book 1. That was right before the release the same year of Book 5. It took 6 years to write and release that book.

GRRM had to know that they would catch up to him and pass him. I just wonder what he thought about that.

theories of what may be.. oh those crazy fans who didn't read the books

https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/best-craziest-game-of-thrones-fan-theories-song-of-ice-fire-231653233.html

too many spoilers for the non readers thread IMO

does jojen reed make it into the cave alive with bran? I don't recall the books storyline.

theories of what may be.. oh those crazy fans who didn't read the books

https://tv.yahoo.com...-231653233.html

too many spoilers for the non readers thread IMO

does jojen reed make it into the cave alive with bran? I don't recall the books storyline.

Those are some pretty good ones. I do believe Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, as there seem to be too many hints in this direction. I also believe Sandor may be alive on the Quiet Isle, but it's hard to know why GRRM would have wanted that.

Jojen does make it to the cave alive in the books. Not sure why they wanted to kill him off in the show, although I think I read that the writers felt they needed to sacrifice someone in that scene given how many undead were running around hacking away at people. Jojen's purpose was to make sure Bran made it to the Three-Eyed Crow, so his job was considered complete.

Those are some pretty good ones. I do believe Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, as there seem to be too many hints in this direction. I also believe Sandor may be alive on the Quiet Isle, but it's hard to know why GRRM would have wanted that.

Jojen does make it to the cave alive in the books. Not sure why they wanted to kill him off in the show, although I think I read that the writers felt they needed to sacrifice someone in that scene given how many undead were running around hacking away at people. Jojen's purpose was to make sure Bran made it to the Three-Eyed Crow, so his job was considered complete.

Count me among the camp that believes that if R+L=J is NOT true, then a good deal of misdirection and incongruity was intentionally included specifically to throw the reader off.

Sandor has to be the gravedigger, otherwise there's simply no point to drawing attention to him. For me, the reasoning for his survival is clear: Sandor vs. Ser Robert Strong in Cersei's trial by combat with the Faith.

As for Jojen, I'm guessing that in the end he just isn't a key cog in the story moving forward, so it's no big deal to snuff him out at this point in the show.

Sandor has to be the gravedigger, otherwise there's simply no point to drawing attention to him. For me, the reasoning for his survival is clear: Sandor vs. Ser Robert Strong in Cersei's trial by combat with the Faith.

I've heard something like that, but who outside of Quiet Isle even knows Sandor is still around, or where he is?

You will see, in A STORM OF SWORDS and later volumes, that Sansa remembers the Hound kissing her the night he came to her bedroom... but if you look at the scene, he never does. That will eventually mean something, but just now it's a subtle touch, something most of the readers may not even pick up on."

http://www.westeros....rtells_and_More

Straight from GRRM's mouth. It's hard to think it will mean something if the Hound is dead.

Edited by Fingon

I've heard something like that, but who outside of Quiet Isle even knows Sandor is still around, or where he is?

No idea...seems like one of those things that can be covered by an "off-screen" event though.

You will see, in A STORM OF SWORDS and later volumes, that Sansa remembers the Hound kissing her the night he came to her bedroom... but if you look at the scene, he never does. That will eventually mean something, but just now it's a subtle touch, something most of the readers may not even pick up on."

http://www.westeros....rtells_and_More

Straight from GRRM's mouth. It's hard to think it will mean something if the Hound is dead.

Could be that what it will mean relates to Sansa and not Sandor.

As an aside:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/18/game-of-thrones-season-5/

No idea...seems like one of those things that can be covered by an "off-screen" event though.

Could be that what it will mean relates to Sansa and not Sandor.

As an aside:

http://insidetv.ew.c...rones-season-5/

I just reread those chapters and I don't recall a kiss .... the night he fled when Stannis was attacking he was in her dark room, demanded she sing to him, she sang a song, touched his cheek and then he was gone.

as to Cersei almost giving Tommen the poison before Tywin shows up not in the books.

Now that Brienne fought the Hound in the show .... She would surely recognize the gravedigger as the Hound, no?

Now that Brienne fought the Hound in the show .... She would surely recognize the gravedigger as the Hound, no?

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that she hits King's Landing well after the Hound had left, and I see no reason to assume that she had gone to court(to see the King where the Hound was located) prior to the events shown in the story.

I just reread those chapters and I don't recall a kiss .... the night he fled when Stannis was attacking he was in her dark room, demanded she sing to him, she sang a song, touched his cheek and then he was gone.

That's correct, but apparently that was intentional:

I was trying to establish that the memories of my viewpoint characters are not infallible. Sansa is simply remembering it wrong. A very minor thing (you are the only one to catch it to date)' date=' but it was meant to set the stage for a much more important lapse in memory. You will see, in A STORM OF SWORDS and later volumes, that Sansa remembers the Hound kissing her the night he came to her bedroom... but if you look at the scene, he never does. That will eventually mean something, but just now it's a subtle touch, something most of the readers may not even pick up on.[/quote']

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure that she hits King's Landing well after the Hound had left, and I see no reason to assume that she had gone to court(to see the King where the Hound was located) prior to the events shown in the story.

In the TV show, when she's with Pod looking for Sansa, they meet Arya and the Hound. based on this scenario IF she were to meet the hound as the gravedigger, I would assume she would recognize him or vice versa.

I want to rehash a bit that I just read.

After Stanis gets defeated at Kings Landing and they shift the engagement from Sansa to Margaery, Dontos meets with Sansa in her chambers after the Hound leaves her and gives her the hairpiece saying something to the effect that it's magic that Sansa is free of Joff and that they can make their escape on the eve of the wedding. We all know that Dontos is working with Littlefinger .

Missing characters Big Belwas, a defender of Danny . Not a major character but doesn't he help save her later from being poisoned?

another tidbit that was different ... Arya never meets Tywin in Harrenhall after the weasel soup incident and Hoat arrives with the bear.

Anyone wonder what happened to Bran, or why Lady Stoneheart was omitted from the last TV episode?

You mean what happened to Bran in the TV show, or in the books?

As for Lady Stoneheart, I think there's a whole nation wondering why she was omitted. I thought that would make a great cliffhanger at the end, but apparently they thought it would be too much along with everything else they threw at the audience in that episode...

You mean what happened to Bran in the TV show, or in the books?

As for Lady Stoneheart, I think there's a whole nation wondering why she was omitted. I thought that would make a great cliffhanger at the end, but apparently they thought it would be too much along with everything else they threw at the audience in that episode...

DOH what an idiot I meant Rickon

the fate of ran Rickon was the same in the books and TV show I thought. Once he departed Bran nothing.

Arya's wolf. She had wolf dreams, but her going to Bravo's put a damper on that reunion. Arya and a pack of 100's of wolves. Sweet revenge.

Rumors are that Lady Stoneheart may not be on the TV show.

DOH what an idiot I meant Rickon

the fate of ran Rickon was the same in the books and TV show I thought. Once he departed Bran nothing.

Arya's wolf. She had wolf dreams, but her going to Bravo's put a damper on that reunion. Arya and a pack of 100's of wolves. Sweet revenge.

Rumors are that Lady Stoneheart may not be on the TV show.

Ah, got it. As far as I know, nothing more happened to Rickon that we know of after they split up. I recall there being talk about some of the north lords wanting to return Bran/Rickon to Winterfell to rule, but that's about it. Not sure where GRRM is going with that, but that just goes with everything else.

I've always felt that Arya's wolf was going to make a dramatic return at some point, perhaps if/once Arya returns to Westeros, but who the hell knows.

I can see them leaving Lady Stoneheart out of the TV series, but only because they seem to have no problem leaving out important characters and storylines. I think it would be a huge mistake. Then again, part of it depends on where GRRM was planning on going with that storyline -- perhaps he told the directors that she wasn't going to play a huge role the rest of the way, and so they just decided to leave it out. Again, who knows. I thought it was crappy that they left out the Tyrion-Tysha marriage storyline in the season finale—especially since they already included it in Season One, so it's not like they cut it out altogether—because it added so much to the tension of that scene and the sense that Tyrion was so deeply wounded and alone in the world. But that doesn't seem to be an issue for the TV show writers, so leaving out Lady Stoneheart would not be a surprise at all.

I wonder if they pair will Tyrion up with the female Imp (part of the wedding jousters) or leave her out as well.

I can also see GRRM and or the TV writers using the dragons to help defeat the White Walkers.

GRRM has promised

“more deaths and betrayals” in the Winds of Winter, the sixth sixth novel in the Song of Ice and Fire saga and that did hint that Tyrion and Danny will "cross paths" eventually

almost forgot http://www.inquisitr.com/1323563/game-of-thrones-spoilers-george-r-r-martin-teases-more-deaths-betrayals-weddings-in-the-winds-of-winter/

Michelle Fairley seems to be confirming here than no Lady Stoneheart appearance is in motion:

http://au.ibtimes.co...tm#.U7F8KkDcPlc

Interesting article. I'm still not sure if that was a definitive answer or not.

What I think is perhaps the most interesting part of the article is the caption on the photo of the Sansa actress: "Known for the show’s explicit sex scenes, showrunners have to hire female porn stars for supporting roles, while others are prostitutes to play as women in the bar and other roles that required nudity."

I wonder if they pair will Tyrion up with the female Imp (part of the wedding jousters) or leave her out as well.

I can also see GRRM and or the TV writers using the dragons to help defeat the White Walkers.

GRRM has promised

“more deaths and betrayals” in the Winds of Winter, the sixth sixth novel in the Song of Ice and Fire saga and that did hint that Tyrion and Danny will "cross paths" eventually

almost forgot http://www.inquisitr...inds-of-winter/

Thanks for the link!

What I think is perhaps the most interesting part of the article is the caption on the photo of the Sansa actress: "Known for the show’s explicit sex scenes, showrunners have to hire female porn stars for supporting roles, while others are prostitutes to play as women in the bar and other roles that required nudity."

Thanks for the link!

I saw that as well...crazy that Maisie Williams (Arya) and Sophie Turner (Sansa) are only 14 months apart in real life...

Thanks for the link!

NP

I am assuming that the caption was a reference to "The Game of Thrones" know for the explicit scenes and not Sophie Turner.