If We Pass on Ebron .... We Will Regret it

0.07 seconds faster in the 40 is by a longshot? If you watch them, Ebron is better over the middle and on screens. He catches it, gets up the field quickly, and breaks tackles. Ebron is the more physical player. Also seems like less of a head case. Wouldn't have a problem with Evans at #9 because the guy is super talented, but Ebron is too.

That part you're wrong about. He has the worst drop rate of any of the TE's rated in the top-10 in the draft and significantly more than Evans. If they draft Ebron with #9, I'll watch the Bears next year. .07 seconds in the 40 is a lot. You're apparently not a track guy. Add 5 inches higher on the vertical and 4 inches on his wingspan. Translation is that Evans has about a foot more to work with than Ebron.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really have to start adding up your picks though to assume that Evans is gone. That is really my point. Pick any 2 QB's to be gone. Most have 3 before Buffalo, but let's just take 2 for argument sake. Clowney, Mack, Robinson, Watkins. That's 4 more and gets you to 6. I don't know anyone that has any of those 4 still available for Buffalo. If it is just 6, then is it Evans and Matthews at that point? I guess I don't oversimplify it really. My decision tree looks a bit like this:

1 - Bortles/Manziel or Clowney to Houston. Obviously here, it's whomever is their #1 "guy". Needed QB or next Mario?

2 - If QB is chosen #1, Clowney or Robinson fall to this spot. I think Robinson is more likely, but we'll see how St. Louis responds.

3 - It's possible at this point that Clowney still hasn't been chosen, but he won't fall beyond here beyond a JAC QB pick. That could happen as well. Clowney, Robinson, Bortles/Manziel. Regardless for me, 1 QB is gone + Clowney and Robinson.

4 - Cleveland's pick is ugly. QB #2 or Mack/Watkins? That's most likely, but I'm also guessing if by some strange miracle that there's no chosen QB by now, that they pull the trigger.

5 - The Raiders plucked Matt Schaub, so QB is off the table. Watkins probably their #1 guy followed again by any of those above.

6 - Atlanta doesn't have QB on the radar. Robinson can't be here, right. Mack or Matthews?

7 - Tampa Bay could pick Evans here. I would assume though that Watkins has to be gone and to Cleveland at #4 or the Raiders #5.

8 - Minnesota is a mess. If they don't pick a QB, it only means to me that at least 2 if not 3, are gone already. How can they otherwise justify drafting defense or some other position that they don't need?

The guys I have gone are Clowney, Mack, Watkins, Manziel, Robinson, and Matthews. With only 2 more gone, I just can't see Evans. Just me maybe.

I can't imagine Atlanta not taking OT unless by some odd turn of events Robinson and Matthews are already gone.

No way Evans makes it passed Tampa. They don't have any other holes to fill in the top 10.

Also, Minnesota will be drafting defense over a QB, I think. They re-signed Cassel to start and their defense has way too many holes to fill. Zimmer has a lot of work to do there and they can get decent play out of Cassel with Norv.

Unless the team REALLY likes someone, I see trading down as the most likely scenario. Ebron could be a great tool for us, but #9 is a reach.

I can't imagine Atlanta not taking OT unless by some odd turn of events Robinson and Matthews are already gone.

No way Evans makes it passed Tampa. They don't have any other holes to fill in the top 10.

Also, Minnesota will be drafting defense over a QB, I think. They re-signed Cassel to start and their defense has way too many holes to fill. Zimmer has a lot of work to do there and they can get decent play out of Cassel with Norv.

Unless the team REALLY likes someone, I see trading down as the most likely scenario. Ebron could be a great tool for us, but #9 is a reach.

Agreed on the trade down, but IMHO an extra 3rd is only useful if it is used with our 3rd to move back int 2nd. A mid- late 3rd is a crap-shoot even in a deep draft

Edited by OldTimer1960

Agreed on the trade down, but IMHO an extra 3rd is only useful if it is used with our 3rd to move back int 2nd. A mid- late 3rd is a crap-shoot even in a deep draft

In our trade with STL last year, we got their 2nd rounder and swapped 3rds, plus a 7th. We might not make that big of a move, but we'll definitely get something we can use.

When you get past the 6 "blue chip" non-QB prospect list of Clowney, Robinson, Watkins, Mack, Matthews and Evans, then what player isn't considered a "reach" at #9?

I think there's a very good chance that all 6 of those players are gone by the time the Bills pick. So if that indeed ends up being the case, then Eric Ebron is not really much of a reach IMO because the difference in the next cluster of prospects after the "blue chip" ones is a nominal one at best.

When you get past the 6 "blue chip" non-QB prospect list of Clowney, Robinson, Watkins, Mack, Matthews and Evans, then what player isn't considered a "reach" at #9?

I think there's a very good chance that all 6 of those players are gone by the time the Bills pick. So if that indeed ends up being the case, then Eric Ebron is not really much of a reach IMO because the difference in the next cluster of prospects after the "blue chip" ones is a nominal one at best.

I actually dont consider Lewan to be a reach....he is just as athletic as Mathews and is as mean as a rattler

Dont be suprised...im just sayin

I was right on Colston,Burfict,Dion Jordan,Maybin,Orakapo,Tank Carder, Nassib and many others.

Never toot your own horn unless you can tell me where Jimmy Hoffa is, cure disease or have women completely figured out.

I'm apologizing in advance...

It's a pet peeve of mine when people talk about watching "film" of a draft prospect.

Unless you guys actually have the coaches' tape, in which case I'm a jerk, what you're watching are video clips.

Okay, sorry, I'll move on now.

learnt that the hard way….

I actually dont consider Lewan to be a reach....he is just as athletic as Mathews and is as mean as a rattler

Dont be suprised...im just sayin

I think that Lewan might have personality/impulse control issues. Given the almost daily police blotter stories that have become part of the NFL, I think the #9 pick is too rich for a prospect with possible issues like that. I do think NFL teams around 15 or later will start considering the risk vs value of Lewan as a pick.

Here's the deal with Ebron: I doubt the Bills will pick him. Let's see….great athlete with limited production that projects to be a dominant pro? That just don't fly. It's got a real Aaron Maybin feel to me. The more I read, the more I'm convinced it's going to be an OT. Lewan. Zack Martin.

I would be blown away if Ebron has done enough to warrant a top 10 pick. If it is a skill player, his name will be Evans.

I agree that there is a cluster of very close 2nd tier players - too bad they are a notch, maybe two below the top 6...

I could live with Ebron, Lee, Beckham, Cooks, Mosley or Barr - but would feel that we just missed on a top prospect...

Valid point.

Here's the deal with Ebron: I doubt the Bills will pick him. Let's see….great athlete with limited production that projects to be a dominant pro? That just don't fly. It's got a real Aaron Maybin feel to me. The more I read, the more I'm convinced it's going to be an OT. Lewan. Zack Martin.

I would be blown away if Ebron has done enough to warrant a top 10 pick. If it is a skill player, his name will be Evans.

Not a fan of Ebron at 9, either, but comparing his production to Maybin's is a COMPLETE mismatch. Ebron had excellent production in the ACC, while Maybin was expected to be a backup until the starter at Penn St was suspended for his season.

He broke Vernon Davis' records in catches and yards for a TE in the ACC. So I don't understand how you can say that he had limited production.

Not a fan of Ebron at 9, either, but comparing his production to Maybin's is a COMPLETE mismatch. Ebron had excellent production in the ACC, while Maybin was expected to be a backup until the starter at Penn St was suspended for his season.

3 TDs? Questionable blocker? I dunno man. Whenever someone talk about what a great athlete the guy is, I'd rather hear what a good football payer he is.

He broke Vernon Davis' records in catches and yards for a TE in the ACC. So I don't understand how you can say that he had limited production.

You're talking the 9th OVERALL pick in the NFL draft. This guy was never on ESPN and I hadn't heard of him prior to the run up to the combine. Now….Mike Evans, I heard of.

3 TDs? Questionable blocker? I dunno man. Whenever someone talk about what a great athlete the guy is, I'd rather hear what a good football payer he is.

You're talking the 9th OVERALL pick in the NFL draft. This guy was never on ESPN and I hadn't heard of him prior to the run up to the combine. Now….Mike Evans, I heard of.

102 catches and 15+ ypc the past two years as a Soph and Jr is very good production- admit I'd prefer to see more TDS...

Not only is he considered to be clearly the best TE in this draft..

He is considered as one of the best we athletes in this draft.

He is a match up nightmare the perfect advantage a 2nd year QB needs....

Ebron even give the Bills the flexibility to play two TE sets....

I continue to watch videos on him, and he has weaknesses but they can be coached up but his physical gifts and natural abilities CAN NOT...

Example his ability to locate the ball in traffic. Elevating at the peak of the catch (he goes an gets it) Body Control ect...

If We Pass on him we'll regret it

If we trade back, I wouldn't mind a bit.

Only two TEs taken in the top ten in the last 15 - 20 years, Vernon Davis and Kellen Winslow Jr. And while Ebron's good, he's just not the TE that these two were coming out of college.

The history of TEs drafted in the first round in the last 15 years or so is NOT good. Most underperform, and that's first rounders. It's a risk. They're harder to evaluate than most positions.

At #9, I don't think they should take Ebron. If they can trade back, sure, that'd be great.

I disagree completely. I think the team should be focused on getting Austin Seferian-Jenkins in the second. He's a better value. Reminds me of Tony Gonzalez.

Agreed. I'd rather get a bookend Tackle and give EJ lots of time. we'd have a couple of years of a solid line. TE in rd 2, and BPA afterwards.