How would you rank the AFC

D521646

So pre draft, and speculating heavily on how teams will draft I have managed to come up with how I think the AFC ranks in terms of power. Here goes, and chime in with how you se it?

1. Broncos

2. Pats

3. Colts

4. Cincy

5. Chiefs

6. Chargers

7. Ravens

8. Steelers

9. Bllls

10. Jets

11. Houston

12. Browns

13. Titans

14. Dolphins

15. Jags

16 Oakland

Where am I going wrong?

Tim-

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Colts

2. Pats

3. Broncos

4. Chiefs

5. Chargers

6. Cincy

7. Ravens

8. Browns

9. Steelers

10. Houston

11. Bills

12. Jets

13. Titans

14. Dolphins

15. Oakland

16. Jags

If the Browns, Bills, Jets, or Houston get consistent QB play any one of them could be a play off team. I think the overall talent level on the Browns and Houston is a bit better than Buffalo. Outside of defensive line, the Jets have no advantage over Buffalo and that is a slim advantage. Buffalo may have the best QB situtation of the four teams. Buffalo may have the worst QB situation by season's end. Steelers could be the Texans of 2014 if Roethlisberger gets injured and misses any significant time. Colts are a few lineman away from domination. They will draft two OL early and many defenders late.

Edited by Dragonborn10

1. Broncos- Regular season champs for sure

2. Colts - Luck takes the next step up

3. Patriots- Still a factor, but time is running out for Brady and Bill

4. Steelers- Will bounce back and win NFC North

5. Bengals- Dalton not progressing and losses hurt from FA

6. Bills- Big step up, easier schedule gets Bills to 10 wins

Chiefs, chargers, Bengals, I just not see these as powerhouse teams. The Steelers never stay down long.

This being the NFL you can't just look at a team on paper. When it comes down to it, I agree there are a whole lot of teams in the middle. No more than 1-2 games apart. A lucky bounce, a great play, an injury, things like these will make the difference in how the teams finish this year and could have as much bearing on who steps up.

We all say it but if EJ steps up it will go a long way into making this team and defining it for years to come. I just hope Ralph can help us upstairs now with some of the luck and bad bounces that happen to everyone, just not year after year.

Need to see how teams draft before we can predict t anything, but think the Bills are on the cusp of getting there. The difference between 6-10 and 10-6 isn't as wide for this team as it seems. This team could be a bubble playoff contender, could win the division or fall back into the abyss.

Not sure why, but I feel this is a make it or break it year?

(Then again, it's a Bills offseason, they all seem to fee that way. But this one seems special. )

1. Broncos

2. Pats*

3. Colts

4. Cincy

11. Houston

12. Browns

13. Titans

14. Dolphins

15. Jags

16 Oakland

Where am I going wrong?

Houston was a good team before they let Mario Williams go to Buffalo and then they did a nose dive with a NFL caliber starting QB and they dumped him.

I'm never sold on Cincy being that high, I'd replace them with Balto or Pitt. also IMO I say the Putrids should be at least 4th or 5th. I'd prefer them 25th.

Houston was a good team before they let Mario Williams go to Buffalo and then they did a nose dive with a NFL caliber starting QB and they dumped him.

I'm never sold on Cincy being that high, I'd replace them with Balto or Pitt. also IMO I say the Putrids should be at least 4th or 5th. I'd prefer them 25th.

I assume this was sarcasm.

For me I'd say...

1. Broncos

2. Colts

3. Patriots

4. Chargers

5. Ravens

6. Bengals

After that I really have a hard job. I think it's much of a muchness. I think the Texans, Jaguars and Browns will all be better than last year. I think the Titans, Dolphins and Chiefs will all be worse. Then here is a group of teams that could really go either way.... the Bills, the Jets, and the Steelers in all 3 cases so much relies on the standard of QB play (can EJ step up, who is the QB in NY and can Big Ben continue to make the Steelers more competitive than they should be. Any of those 3 could make a play-off push if it goes well but all 3 could end up picking in the top 5 next year if it goes wrong. Then there is Oakland.

For me I'd say...

1. Broncos

2. Colts

3. Patriots

4. Chargers

5. Ravens

6. Bengals

After that I really have a hard job. I think it's much of a muchness. I think the Texans, Jaguars and Browns will all be better than last year. I think the Titans, Dolphins and Chiefs will all be worse. Then here is a group of teams that could really go either way.... the Bills, the Jets, and the Steelers in all 3 cases so much relies on the standard of QB play (can EJ step up, who is the QB in NY and can Big Ben continue to make the Steelers more competitive than they should be. Any of those 3 could make a play-off push if it goes well but all 3 could end up picking in the top 5 next year if it goes wrong. Then there is Oakland.

Just curious why you think this... as they will all likely have rookie QBs and two have rookie HCs? Usually a team takes a step back. Edited by YoloinOhio

That is of course true. I'll happily explain.

Texans - this was a play-off team a year ago. I accept they are old in some key positions and they will have a rookie under centre but equally it's not hard to get better from the shambles of a 2-14 season (where they essentially gave up halfway through), especially when the rookie QB will hopefully have a fit Arien Foster to hand the ball off to. I don't think Houston will threaten the play-offs and I didn't mean to imply that, but I think they will be a 5/6 win team which is an improvement.

Browns - I think there are some pieces in place in Cleveland. You are obviously a lot closer to that than me, but I like Josh Gordon and the young tight end and I think Mike Pettine will get something going on defense. Again, I think the play-offs will be beyond them... butan improvement form 4 wins to 7/8 wins is foreseeable.

Jaguars - I loved the Gus Bradley hire at the time and I still love it now. He was starting from a terrible base in terms of talent and he got them to keep playing when it would have been easy to settle for being a horrible 0-16 team. If they can find a Quarterback and keep Justin Blackmon on his best behaviour I can see them really surprising a few people. This one more than the other two above is a hunch. I think Gus Bradley has "it" and given the opportunity to build this team I think he will end up being a great hire.

That is of course true. I'll happily explain.

Texans - this was a play-off team a year ago. I accept they are old in some key positions and they will have a rookie under centre but equally it's not hard to get better from the shambles of a 2-14 season (where they essentially gave up halfway through), especially when the rookie QB will hopefully have a fit Arien Foster to hand the ball off to. I don't think Houston will threaten the play-offs and I didn't mean to imply that, but I think they will be a 5/6 win team which is an improvement.

Browns - I think there are some pieces in place in Cleveland. You are obviously a lot closer to that than me, but I like Josh Gordon and the young tight end and I think Mike Pettine will get something going on defense. Again, I think the play-offs will be beyond them... butan improvement form 4 wins to 7/8 wins is foreseeable.

Jaguars - I loved the Gus Bradley hire at the time and I still love it now. He was starting from a terrible base in terms of talent and he got them to keep playing when it would have been easy to settle for being a horrible 0-16 team. If they can find a Quarterback and keep Justin Blackmon on his best behaviour I can see them really surprising a few people. This one more than the other two above is a hunch. I think Gus Bradley has "it" and given the opportunity to build this team I think he will end up being a great hire.

That makes sense... they all could improve by a game or two at least if they can get decent QB play. I like what the Jags are doing too. Bradley seems like a great hire. All three teams are a QB away...

I'm only focused on the AFCE. I'd rank Patriots, Dolphins, Jets, & Bills. I base this on QB play & coaching.

Both Ryan and Philbin are working for GMs that did not hire them. Jets bring in Vick, not exactly a ringing endorsement of Smith and Tannehill was drafted because he was so highly touted by Mike Sherman who is gone.

1. Broncos

2. Pats

3. Colts

After the top 3 I don't see much difference until you get to the very bottom with Jacksonville and Oakland.

I don't know that i would put the Colts in there yet, and I also think Jax and Oak will join the pack this year--Jax was much like the Bills last year, they gave a lot of teams a tough outing.

To me, there are the Broncos and Pats, then on any given day, all of the other teams can look like world beaters or sleep walkers.

I don't feel confident about my KC pick and might say Steelers instead. But I think the Bengals will not have a good year. I am not confident about KC because the AFC West plays the NFC West this year, which I think is the best division in the NFL. They also play the AFC East so each team gets the Pats. Then you have the division itself, which is good enough to have sent 3 teams to the playoffs last year. So I think they might only send one team this year with the schedules the way they look.