Donald Trump asked to invest in the Bills

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Thurman doesn't align himself with Trump. It would be disappointing for him to be associated with someone who gave voice to the racially motivated Birther attacks on the president.

Thurman's politics are way closer to those of the Donald than they are to those of the Prez, FWIW.

<snip>

Like others I like the ego, but I do believe him when he says he wants to keep the team here. Not sure I would ever believe that from JBJ. I think we could do a lot worse than the Donald. He would get my vote.

And that's where we disagree. I dislike the ego and I don't believe he'd keep the Bills here any longer than he has to. I can see him pulling the ol' "Hey guys, I told you I'd keep them here - and I did. And it's been a great run, but I'm moving on to make more money."

You mentioned his politics. Trust me, I'm not even considering them. Instead, I am considering his character, of which there is little.

One can only hope.

I am not going to claim I will not root for this team if Trump buys them... but, other than somebody buying them to move them, Trump is the worst case scenario. I am so hoping that Pegula, Jacobs or Golisano (in that orger) get into the mix. I can't imagine that one of them won't.

Echoes my sentiments exactly.

Toronto has about 4M people. WNY has about 1M people. Toronto would put 70,000 people in the stands every Sunday. Bflo would put 70,000 fans in the stadium every Sunday. So, what is the big advantage for Toronto ? Oh yeah - TV eyes. Or is it a big advantage? My friends in Toronto tell me that they watch the Bills on Channels 4 & 29 from Bflo. These stations are on their cable system. So, they are watching the same commercials for beer & razor blades that we Buffalonians watch. So, if they are watching our TV stations, the question I have is - why isn't Toronto considered part of our TV area. If the networks and/or the NFL considered Toronto part of our viewing area, we would jump from a small market viewing area to one of the largest.

I'm sure that I am missing something here. Help wanted for an explanation. Thanks.

The NFL has a rule that markets stop at borders. If I had to guess, it would have to do with rights packages for TV and licensing allocation for merchandise sold across the border.

Colin Cowherd has spent quite a bit of time on it this morning. He is taking the side of Toronto being a much better option than Buffalo and saying Goodell has no loyalty to WNY. Toronto being a huge market and right down the street. Buffalo shrinking. City of 270,000 vs city if 2.8 mill. Change is good, blah blah. I think he is not looking at all the factors, but he is crowing.

God, I hate Cowherd.

The Donald would be selling this team to the highest bidder for a tidy profit in 7 or 8 years. He is a pure businessman and has shown nothing in the way of any passion for the NFL to make me think this would be anything but an investment opportunity to make more money down the line. It would be the beginning of the end.

The Donald would be selling this team to the highest bidder for a tidy profit in 7 or 8 years. He is a pure businessman and has shown nothing in the way of any passion for the NFL to make me think this would be anything but an investment opportunity to make more money down the line. It would be the beginning of the end.

i think being in the fraternity of NFL owners would negate that..

The NFL has a rule that markets stop at borders. If I had to guess, it would have to do with rights packages for TV and licensing allocation for merchandise sold across the border.

I find this interesting. Wonder how that rule would be interpreted if the team moved to Toronto. Would the market still stop at the border going south or would they try to include WNY as part of the market.

You and me both. Of course he would be in favor of the Bills moving to Toronto. It is absolutely in tune with his daily schtick....he openly admits that his only loyalties in sports are to winners and "entertainment value". I haven't listened to him since GR55 started Hockey Hotline...but I used to listen for about 30-60 minutes of his show everyday, for a few years... I am convinced that he is the worst sports talk radio person, at national or local level, that I have ever heard. He always seemed to have an itch up his ass about "angry middle age white east-coast, snow-belt sports fans." I remember years ago he would rip Lebron James on a daily basis...until he went to Miami for his superteam...tben he became a full time Lebron ass kisser, and just started ripping Cleveland fans who were mad at him. Cowherd epitomizes everything I have come to loathe about ESPN in the last 5 years or so.

You and me both. Of course he would be in favor of the Bills moving to Toronto. It is absolutely in tune with his daily schtick....he openly admits that his only loyalties in sports are to winners and "entertainment value". I haven't listened to him since GR55 started Hockey Hotline...but I used to listen for about 30-60 minutes of his show everyday, for a few years... I am convinced that he is the worst sports talk radio person, at national or local level, that I have ever heard. He always seemed to have an itch up his ass about "angry middle age white east-coast, snow-belt sports fans." I remember years ago he would rip Lebron James on a daily basis...until he went to Miami for his superteam...tben he became a full time Lebron ass kisser, and just started ripping Cleveland fans who were mad at him. Cowherd epitomizes everything I have come to loathe about ESPN in the last 5 years or so.

I've heard him on commerecials that make it onto GR still - kissing Lebron's butt..................And, then thought - am I making it up or did he used to say all the time how boring Lebron's game was?

I've heard him on commerecials that make it onto GR still - kissing Lebron's butt..................And, then thought - am I making it up or did he used to say all the time how boring Lebron's game was?

the thing that is kind of funny is that buffalo is obviously a HUGE hockey market(despite the sabre's season) he continues to sh#@$$t on hockey.. why in the world would you keep this guy on in this market.. ??

What a burn! He's only posted 59 times on this particular fansite therefore he must not be much of a fan. You really pwned him!

/sarcasm

Actually, the fact he stated he would seriously consider not cheering for the Bills if Trump became owner is why he must not be a real fan. The 59 post comment was for comedic value, but obviously that fact eluded you. /not sarcasm

Actually, the fact he stated he would seriously consider not cheering for the Bills if Trump became owner is why he must not be a real fan. The 59 post comment was for comedic value, but obviously that fact eluded you. /not sarcasm

Aww maybe you're right buddy, I'm not a "REAL FAN" like you. I'm just some schmuck who places his own ideological, political, and cultural beliefs and preferences above their undying love for a sports team that's caused nothing but grief in the last decade and a half.

Aww maybe you're right buddy, I'm not a "REAL FAN" like you. I'm just some schmuck who places his own ideological, political, and cultural beliefs and preferences above their undying love for a sports team that's caused nothing but grief in the last decade and a half.

Exactly.

Exactly.

Haha - I couldn't agree with more, either.

the thing that is kind of funny is that buffalo is obviously a HUGE hockey market(despite the sabre's season) he continues to sh#@$$t on hockey.. why in the world would you keep this guy on in this market.. ??

GR did take him off - and replaced him with Hockey Hotline............Now, however, he's actually back on in the Buffalo market, if anybody wants to torture themselves. Entercom (which owns GR, too) made 1520, the former KB, all ESPN Sports, so he's on in his regular timeslot on the other end of the dial.

go for it! love your honesty! myself, i choose to lose myself in the bills, gives me a diversion from the sorry state the republic is in

Haha - I couldn't agree with more, either.

GR did take him off - and replaced him with Hockey Hotline............Now, however, he's actually back on in the Buffalo market, if anybody wants to torture themselves. Entercom (which owns GR, too) made 1520, the former KB, all ESPN Sports, so he's on in his regular timeslot on the other end of the dial.

yea, i know, he should be off the airwaves in buffalo.. hopefully his numbers will go down regarding his listeners, then affect on his ability to maintain sponsors.. Edited by dwight in philly

You are correct; comedic comments that lack comedic value generally do elude me.