Really Good Video On Global Warming

IF people can take time out of their day and comment on this video I would appreciate. I think it's a great 45 minute lecture on some of the science and politics of climate change.

http://youtu.be/9CKNHpVUJKk

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9CKNHpVUJKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by JuanGuzman

Since the science is "settled", the logical thing to do is to stop funding global warming research.

Agreed. And if any of the people that are so concerned about it want to actually do something about it, they can start here:

http://youtu.be/sQdLttUh_b0

Of course that will have zero effect on solving the "problem", but they can talk about it for weeks and impress their friends, and maybe even get laid.

IF people can take time out of their day and comment on this video I would appreciate. I think it's a great 45 minute lecture on some of the science and politics of climate change.

http://youtu.be/9CKNHpVUJKk

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9CKNHpVUJKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So, let me get this straight, you want us to watch a 45 minute video with the obviously biased covers in order to see your point? All this, after your previous posting record? Ha, even Gator isn't stupid enough to ask us to do this.

So, let me get this straight, you want us to watch a 45 minute video with the obviously biased covers in order to see your point? All this, after your previous posting record? Ha, even Gator isn't stupid enough to ask us to do this.

Yeh I'd just ask you to watch it. Its not some crackpot, it's a world class scientist reviewing the evidence for man made change. I think he makes a convincing case. Granted a warmer planet my not be the end of the world, also maybe there are adaptation measures that are possible like using SO2 to cool the planet etc.

But I don't think its unrealistic to ask for a revenue neutral carbon taxes. We would reduce income tax and compensate for that revenue loss with a carbon tax. it would also be great if we eliminated any subsidies to fossil fuel producers IMO. Those policies would reduce our carbon footprint and actually might be good for the economy.

E.g., why not tax something bad like carbon, and reduce tax on something good (peoples labour)

Yeh I'd just ask you to watch it. Its not some crackpot, it's a world class scientist reviewing the evidence for man made change. I think he makes a convincing case. Granted a warmer planet my not be the end of the world, also maybe there are adaptation measures that are possible like using SO2 to cool the planet etc.

But I don't think its unrealistic to ask for a revenue neutral carbon taxes. We would reduce income tax and compensate for that revenue loss with a carbon tax. it would also be great if we eliminated any subsidies to fossil fuel producers IMO. Those policies would reduce our carbon footprint and actually might be good for the economy.

E.g., why not tax something bad like carbon, and reduce tax on something good (peoples labour)

Do you have this cleared with the rest of the world yet?

BTW, if peoples labour is so good why do you liberals want so badly to pay people to not work?

If I give you 45 minutes of my time, what do I get in exchange?

It wasn't the end of the world when it's happened in the past, now was it?

It wasn't the end of the world when it's happened in the past, now was it?

I think you're splitting hairs here. I meant that it may not be the end of the world for humanity, although it very well could be. Anyway I recommended the video cause I thought it was a good take on the issue. I didn't see any flaws or holes in the presenters logic. But I'd welcome a critical review on it if someone watched. Part of the climate change inertia I think we see in society is because no one wants to think seriously about these issues. Here on the other hand is a very serious look at the issue. I urge people to watch it.

Anyway, if people don't want to watch it. Can you at least summarize the consensus view from those opposed to action on climate change?

1. Is it climate change doesn't exists, its a big conspiracy?

2. Is it climate change does exist but we don't need to do anything about it, we'll muddle our way through it when we start seeing consequences?

3. Or is it climate change does exist, and while we should in theory do something about it, government is incapable of doing. Why trust them with our tax dollars?

Edited by JuanGuzman

I think you're splitting hairs here. I meant that it may not be the end of the world for humanity, although it very well could be. Anyway I recommended the video cause I thought it was a good take on the issue. I didn't see any flaws or holes in the presenters logic. But I'd welcome a critical review on it if someone watched. Part of the climate change inertia I think we see in society is because know wants to think seriously about these issues. Here on the other hand is a very seriously look at the issue. I urge people to watch it.

Anyway, if people don't want to watch it. Can you at least summarize the consensus view from those opposed to action on climate change?

2. Is it climate change does exist but we don't need to do anything about it, we'll muddle our way through it when we start seeing consequences?

3. Or is it climate change does exist, and while we should in theory do something about it, government is incapable of doing. Why trust them with our tax dollars?

Global warming/climate change has been discussed here for quite some time. Maybe a prudent move on your part would be to go back and read that thread?

What are these subsidies to fossil producers you speak of?

to give a consensus view or opinion would mean that anyone answering would be speaking on behalf of a group of people. the only ones putting forth a consensus view on this subject are global warming alarmists.

speaking purely for myself, the summary of my views is that there may indeed be global warming, but there also may not. in my opinion, the science is too new and the methods for collecting, analyzing, and extrapolating climate data are not yet proven. even if global warming can be proven, so far there is nothing in the way of evidence to prove that humanity is in any way directly responsible for it. it may turn out some day that we do indeed find that mankind is at least partially responsible for climate change, but for now, I remain skeptical on that point.

consensus doesn't mean squat when it comes to science. science is a quest for truth that often defies convention. consider that for the first two-thirds of recorded history that scientific consensus was that our planetary system was geocentric, until Galileo proved that it was heliocentric. they did worse than label him as a closed-minded denier - they just placed him under house arrest for the rest of his life.

another thing that, in my opinion, should always be considered: always question anyone's position or motivation when they espouse any kind of tax or fee on anyone or anything, especially when the cause is yet to be substantiated.

Edited by Azalin

I think you're splitting hairs here. I meant that it may not be the end of the world for humanity, although it very well could be. Anyway I recommended the video cause I thought it was a good take on the issue. I didn't see any flaws or holes in the presenters logic. But I'd welcome a critical review on it if someone watched. Part of the climate change inertia I think we see in society is because know wants to think seriously about these issues. Here on the other hand is a very seriously look at the issue. I urge people to watch it.

I'm of the opinion that climate change obviously does exist, mankind has played a role in its acceleration and the consequences of climate change remain murky at best but are cause for concern. Absolutely no idea as to what should or reasonably could be done at this point.