Bills acquire WR mike Williams

Williams, Stevie, Woods, Goodwin, Barden, Easley

PS: Elliott, Kaufman

Pats or Jets: Tj Graham

Not too shabby. And with Moeaki, Gragg, Chandler and Sefarian Jenkins? We've got weapons.

I can live with this group.

Edited by Spillnation

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp, I read all 28 pages. First...

Isn't "Bills" just short for that anyway?

This one just flew by posters. Why? It's funny!

Given his academic issues you'd think his next year at cuse that he didn't make it out of would've qualified as that.... Or given the totality of the Syracuse issues that Tampa might've been that....

Other than hope/optimism I'm not sure there's reason to believe the light will suddenly come on. IMHO, the realistic take is he will play well on the field and be less than ideal off and we will simply be hoping we can manage both sides to keep it a net positive situation. Not that we can fix the problems but simply try to reduce them to keep them from effecting Sunday

The only thing that I can add, that hasn't already been said is this:

Don't forget about this Bills locker room. The room hasn't had its say on Mike Williams yet, and we are assured that it will.

We can talk about "character guys" that haven't won, having ON the field issues(hilarious, BTW), etc. But, one thing that drafting character, for 10 years, has done? It's created a culture for this team. They aren't all the same person of course, but, they all have that same sort of buy-in once they get here. Sure you can say Marcell Darius. But, then I will say: if missing team meetings is the worst thing he has done? In today's NFL, with guy's involved in all sorts of crap, this is our big problem? This? :lol: How is that not evidence of this team's culture? How is that not evidence of how this room operates?

And, this is not a new thing for the Bills: James Lofton.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I just hope he makes it into the season. I originally thought that Tampa is kind of a party town and being in Buffalo would be good for him. However after reading that he had similar issues in Buffalo, that the local police have a book on him, and are betting he makes news before the season start concerns me greatly.

I hope he understands the position he is in and can toe the line. But I am starting to have serious doubts.

Well the local police that are doing that are jerkoffs

is this true we inherited that huge contract? does anyone know if this is accurate?

http://walterfootbal...ts2014recap.php

Bills acquire WR Mike Williams from Buccaneers for sixth-round pick

One man's trash is another man's sixth-round pick, apparently. Mike Williams has scored a combined 20 touchdowns in 2010 and 2012, but he's endured some down years in 2011 and 2013 because of his lethargy. Williams is one of the laziest players in the NFL, but there's a chance this will serve as a wake-up call for him. Getting out of the crazy Tampa party environment can't hurt either.

This isn't a bad deal for the Bills on the surface, as they probably weren't going to obtain anyone better for their sixth-round choice. Williams can step in and serve as the No. 2 receiver if he puts forth full effort. However, this trade could fail quite easily, which would hurt because Buffalo inherited Williams' awful contract. That's why Buffalo deserves a poor grade for this swap. The team is unlikely to get the production out of Williams that matches the price (or the cap hit).

As for the Buccaneers, it's great that they're getting something for Williams without having to take on his cap hit. They made a huge mistake in re-signing him, but they were able to get out of it by finding a team willing to take on his contract. There's a sucker born every day, apparently.

It's only a terrible deal for us if we keep him and he doesn't produce, past this season.

If he sucks this year, we cut him.

If he's average, we either cut him, or renegotiate (which he'll likely refuse, and he'll get cut).

If he's awesome, then he's worth the money, and we figure it out.

It's only a terrible deal for us if we keep him and he doesn't produce, past this season.

If he sucks this year, we cut him.

If he's average, we either cut him, or renegotiate (which he'll likely refuse, and he'll get cut).

If he's awesome, then he's worth the money, and we figure it out.

Exactly. Completely no loss situation for the Bills. If he implodes, then so what. It's not like the 6th round pick would've made much of an impact.

If he shows some progress and stays out of trouble, they probably try and re-negotiate.

If he returns to form, and catches 10+ TD's again, then everything is gravy and we have our WR1 with size.

This has been posted several times, but all of MW's guaranteed money has been paid by the Bucs. The 2014 cap hit for Buffalo is something like 1.8 million.

Next season is a different story, as his base salary is over 7 million. If he does well, and is willing to restructure his deal so that it is more "cap friendly," then that would be ideal. If not, then Buffalo can release him without paying him another penny prior to the 2015 league year. My guess is that he will be willing to re-structure.

That is my understanding anyway.

is this true we inherited that huge contract? does anyone know if this is accurate?

One man's trash is another man's sixth-round pick, apparently. Mike Williams has scored a combined 20 touchdowns in 2010 and 2012, but he's endured some down years in 2011 and 2013 because of his lethargy. Williams is one of the laziest players in the NFL, but there's a chance this will serve as a wake-up call for him. Getting out of the crazy Tampa party environment can't hurt either.

This isn't a bad deal for the Bills on the surface, as they probably weren't going to obtain anyone better for their sixth-round choice. Williams can step in and serve as the No. 2 receiver if he puts forth full effort. However, this trade could fail quite easily, which would hurt because Buffalo inherited Williams' awful contract. That's why Buffalo deserves a poor grade for this swap. The team is unlikely to get the production out of Williams that matches the price (or the cap hit).

As for the Buccaneers, it's great that they're getting something for Williams without having to take on his cap hit. They made a huge mistake in re-signing him, but they were able to get out of it by finding a team willing to take on his contract. There's a sucker born every day, apparently.

By trading for him, yes, we did take on his contract. However, this year the cap hit is just over a million. And the way I understand it, Bucs are on the hook for all of the guaranteed money they gave him. So the Bills can cut him after this year if he doesn't produce/screws up. If they want to keep him, they'll need to pay him. That is why people bring up an either/or with SJ and MW. Combined cap hit in 2015 would be over 15 mill.

have a good feeling about this.....I think he will turn his life around....

this is very low risk high reward for year one. he either redoes his contract or gets cut before year two.

"I'm going to go out and prove they made a mistake and this is a great decision for the Buffalo Bills,'' Williams said Monday, per the Tampa Bay Times.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339934/article/bills-mike-williams-buccaneers-made-mistake-in-trade

Welp, I read all 28 pages. First...

This one just flew by posters. Why? It's funny!

The only thing that I can add, that hasn't already been said is this:

Don't forget about this Bills locker room. The room hasn't had its say on Mike Williams yet, and we are assured that it will.

We can talk about "character guys" that haven't won, having ON the field issues(hilarious, BTW), etc. But, one thing that drafting character, for 10 years, has done? It's created a culture for this team. They aren't all the same person of course, but, they all have that same sort of buy-in once they get here. Sure you can say Marcell Darius. But, then I will say: if missing team meetings is the worst thing he has done? In today's NFL, with guy's involved in all sorts of crap, this is our big problem? This? :lol: How is that not evidence of this team's culture? How is that not evidence of how this room operates?

And, this is not a new thing for the Bills: James Lofton.

The one detail that makes me feel good about this deal is that Marrone knows him. Well. In fact, I believe that I read somewhere that Marrone said he had kept in touch with him while he was a Buc. I don't believe there is anything here that Marrone doesn't know he is getting into. If Marrone's comfortable with it, I'm comfortable with it.

The one detail that makes me feel good about this deal is that Marrone knows him. Well. In fact, I believe that I read somewhere that Marrone said he had kept in touch with him while he was a Buc. I don't believe there is anything here that Marrone doesn't know he is getting into. If Marrone's comfortable with it, I'm comfortable with it.

Yep, and Marrone picking him up at the airport, while completely and totally contrived marketing crap.....

....still required Marrone to buy in and do it.

Marrone could easily have said no, and had 0 consequences for saying no.

But, he said yes.

There is a lot of confusion over his contract. The Bills have to pay him this year 1.8 million.

According to numerous reports from the Tampa Bay papers, ESPN, National Football Post, and others. the Bills would also be on the hook for $5.4 million of his contract next year (2015) which they all say is fully guaranteed.

According to NFL Network, Spotrac and Rotoworld, that guarantee is only effective as of the 3rd day of the new league year, meaning the Bills could cut him after this season and not have to pay the 5.4 base salary.

Tampa Bay reporters and ESPN guys say that only his roster bonus is the element of the contract that is effective only on the third day of the year.

Both sides say they have details of the official contract, but there are reasons to believe either side.

Here is a rather entertaining elaboration on the issue, with numerous links pro and con, from the official Bills board.

http://boards.buffal...t-this-straight

I usually trust the Rotoworld numbers when it comes to contracts.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

They did inherit the contract, but it's not as big as you think. It's $1.2 million for 2014 plus a $1.0 million roster bonus. For 2015, it's $5.2 million plus a $1.0 million roster bonus. The contract goes through 2018, but NONE of the money is guaranteed. All the bonuses and guaranteed money has already been paid by Tampa Bay. So at the end of the day, there's little risk here. If they pay him $2.2 million this year and he's a bust, he's cut. Done. No future cap hit, and not a big price tag at all for his upside.

This is one of the many examples of Why Walter Football is clueless. They basically rigged google to get to the top of the "NFL Mock draft" search and because of that SEO they somehow have been validated. Although if you read anything they post they are completely clueless.